Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Legal/practical/aesthetic advice needed re house and aircon

Wikiposts

Legal/practical/aesthetic advice needed re house and aircon

Old Sep 6th 2009, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Legal/practical/aesthetic advice needed re house and aircon

We bought some land before we got our PR and built a house on it in accordance with FIRB rules. It's currently rented out and we'll live there when we move over (we live in Singapore).

We used the air con company recommended by our builders, and their service was unimpressive/unresponsive to say the least, but it all got finished on time.

However our neighbours then complained to the council about the noise of the air con, and it's been tested and re-tested and it is too noisy. It turns out the air con company supplied and installed a system only suitable for a bigger block.

The air con company is saying that it would be too complicated/messy to install another system and that the airon box should be re-located to the front of the house. I imagine this would be bloody ugly, plus we need planning permission plus screening etc.

Any advice? I've asked the buiilders for their help, since they recommended the air con company.

Can air con units go in the garage?

Thanks.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal/practical/aesthetic advice needed re house and aircon

Bump.

Anyone?
Old Sep 7th 2009, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

How long ago was it fitted?
Old Sep 7th 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Have seen quite a few RC systems at the front of houses .I can,t see why you need planning permission.

It turns out the air con company supplied and installed a system only suitable for a bigger block.

As in capacity or db. rating?

On placement in the garage ,if its that loud outside would think it would only make it worse in the garage.

You could try the Small Claims Tribunal if you think it was installed under false information .
Old Sep 7th 2009, 6:57 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

It can't be enclosed - it would just circulate the hot air.

NSW noise regulations say that A/C units cannot be heard by neighboors at all - an impossible restriction! They don't have to be deafening, but they *do* make some noise, period.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Family of 3
We bought some land before we got our PR and built a house on it in accordance with FIRB rules. It's currently rented out and we'll live there when we move over (we live in Singapore).

We used the air con company recommended by our builders, and their service was unimpressive/unresponsive to say the least, but it all got finished on time.

However our neighbours then complained to the council about the noise of the air con, and it's been tested and re-tested and it is too noisy. It turns out the air con company supplied and installed a system only suitable for a bigger block.

The air con company is saying that it would be too complicated/messy to install another system and that the airon box should be re-located to the front of the house. I imagine this would be bloody ugly, plus we need planning permission plus screening etc.

Any advice? I've asked the buiilders for their help, since they recommended the air con company.

Thanks.
Putting the hot box in the garage should soften the sound for your neighbors but could make your house more noisy. You will most likely have to fit a beefy extractor fan (which may also upset your nimbys) in your garage as the ac's produce a lot of heat. Other than making sure the temp in your garage does not exceed the manufactures recommended (outside) temp there is no other reason why it can't be done. Out if interest what is the make of your aircon? We use Mitsubishi mr slim and they are very quiet.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's Daikin, installed Nov 2008, the noise issue has been going on since March 2009.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable air con company (Perth) who can maybe advise me on my options? There are other much bigger houses than ours that presumably have bigger and more powerful systems that make less noise.

I want to avoid the legal route, but I don't want to ruin the house either!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Recommend Metro Air -Malaga

http://www.homeimprovementpages.com....fessional/4432
or
http://www.metroair.com.au/
Ph: 9249 2622

Installed ours- very professional

cheers
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks
Old Sep 7th 2009, 9:05 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

This may sound offbeat, but consider building a wooden cover (with slats for ventilation and hinged door) around the a/c unit. Can be made to look a part of the house or done up in other ways to hide unit. It could also be lined with CSR Soundscreen to deaden the noise. Had something similar at our last house.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Could anyone who's done a build recently and has a record of the Db output of their unit please look it up and let me know.

The council have said the noise limit in our area is 40-45Db, but the noise measured was 57, and the machine is designed to output 55-58, so looks like the air con company has supplied a system that hasn't a cat in hell's chance of meeting the noise requirements.

Since our house is 1.5 stories and not a mansion, I can't imagine that other people don't have similar air con requirements.

Thanks
Old Sep 10th 2009, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Family of 3

Thanks.
yes the air con can go in the garage , but it would have to have a supply and return airflow grill to the condensing unit , the return could be a louvered grill set in the garage door , but the supply must be a riged duct that is insulated to stop condensation on heating cycle , once the unit is situated in the garage i would make a suround for the unit out of mdf board to reduce the noise levels in the garage , but leave the panels removable so the system can be serviced by a technician , this should solve your problem , alternativley can the unit be situated elsewhere , like behind a shed or at the end of the garden etc ,
Daikins are one of the best air con systems money can buy and i dont think that 57 db is a lot of noise , i think your neighbour is unreasonable and dare i say a tosser , the best think to do is get a decent ac company in and quote what i have sugested , if you get stuck send me a message , regards .karl.