Legal help

Old Dec 22nd 2005, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Legal help

Is there anybody out there that could offer us some legal advice.

We have just had some excavating done based on an initial estimate of 3 /4 days which has now run way passed day 8 :scared: At $80 an hour we have run out of money and the job still isn't complete. We are now left with a major mud pit of a garden which is unsellable.

I have spent the last 2 weeks crying as I have seen our house trashed. Is there any legalities that we can look into which maybe states that an estimate has to be within a certain % of the finished job!!

I suddenly feel very foreign as I have no idea where to start in the legal system without it costing us much much more.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal help

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Is there anybody out there that could offer us some legal advice.

We have just had some excavating done based on an initial estimate of 3 /4 days which has now run way passed day 8 :scared: At $80 an hour we have run out of money and the job still isn't complete. We are now left with a major mud pit of a garden which is unsellable.

I have spent the last 2 weeks crying as I have seen our house trashed. Is there any legalities that we can look into which maybe states that an estimate has to be within a certain % of the finished job!!

I suddenly feel very foreign as I have no idea where to start in the legal system without it costing us much much more.
ermm...u get a contract ?
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 11:36 am
ABCDiamond

You may be able to contact someone at Consumer Affairs Victoria http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/

"Building & Renovation section", then "When Things Go Wrong"

Old Dec 23rd 2005, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a million for that. I will look into it when the offices re-open in the new year. Luckily we have full photo's of damaged coursed and diary of events listed.

I am pleased to see that Australia has a system in place for this sort of thing. It's funny how foreign you can feel when you are not even sure where to start looking.
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 5:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
It's funny how foreign you can feel when you are not even sure where to start looking.
I agree with that.

It's always easier when you know your way around