Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Legal Careers in Melbourne - Help!

Legal Careers in Melbourne - Help!

Old Apr 27th 2005, 9:05 am
Just Joined

bunyip72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Legal Careers in Melbourne - Help!

Well, G'Day all.... we've finally made it to Melbourne (woo hoo!) and are settling in well...one BIG problem tho' (isn't there always!!)

Job wise, things are looking great for me, but as my husband's a solicitor, he needs to complete certain steps to requalify here - which he's in the process of doing. In the meantime, he's desperately trying to get some legal work, but as he's not yet qualfied to be a solicitor here and it appears that everyone he applies to thinks he's too qualified to be a legal assistant, he's having no luck at all. We're seriously contemplating leaving his law career off his CV so that he can get a job anywhere doing anything - but there's no way we could account for the last 6 years in that case!!

If there's anyone out there who is a solicitor from the UK now working in Victoria - or if anyone else can offer any advice, we'd be really really really grateful. Thanks guys.

B72

PS For anyone who needs any tips on getting dogs transported/through quarantine, let me know - this was our biggest worry (after getting the visa!) and everything went really well in the end and our dog, Oz, is loving it here!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

astonished has a spectacular aura aboutastonished has a spectacular aura aboutastonished has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Legal Careers in Melbourne - Help!

whats he like on simple contract law, tendering , tender evaluation etc?

i actually have a job i know of east of melbourne.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by astonished
whats he like on simple contract law, tendering , tender evaluation etc?

i actually have a job i know of east of melbourne.
Quick reply - thanks!! He's mainly done private client work, property, wills, trusts, probate - but would happily turn his hand to anything...

B72
Old Apr 27th 2005, 9:42 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to Melbourne guys, hope your enjoying our fantastic Autumn. Can't help with the job but wishing you well for your future over here.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bordy
Welcome to Melbourne guys, hope your enjoying our fantastic Autumn. Can't help with the job but wishing you well for your future over here.
Thanks Bordy! The weather is pretty great, isn't it??