Leg power

Old Jan 25th 2004, 11:57 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Question Leg power

Neither the wife nor I can drive and someone has suggested this could be a problem for us in OZ especially as we are headed for semi-bush land.

I don't see it as a major thing as I cycle to work everyday in the UK and think the roads are probably flatter in OZ so a few extra miles won't be a problem.

Shopping will be more difficult but I thought I could perhaps pull a dilly. Of course I will have to build a box on it I suppose. Don't want broken eggs on the highway!!

Anyway do you think it will be legal for me to do this on OZ roads ?
Old Jan 26th 2004, 12:02 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Qld Road Rules for Cyclists
Old Jan 26th 2004, 12:22 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
Qld Road Rules for Cyclists
Thanks for your help Megalania.

I can legally tow a proper bike trailer but the wife can't ride in it because she is over 10 years old. Well, no matter as I only have 1 helmet anyway.

I shall have to go by myself so the shopping list had better be good!!

Old Jan 26th 2004, 12:28 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Daisy, Daisy,
Give me your answer do
I'm half crazy,
All for the love of you
It won't be a stylish marriage
I can't afford a carriage
But you'll look sweet
Upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two

Michael, Michael
Here is your answer true.
I'll not cycle
Over the world with you.
If you can afford a carriage,
There won't be any marriage.
'Cause I'll be damned,
If I'll be crammed
On a bicycle built for two!
Attached Thumbnails Leg power-tandem.jpg  
Old Jan 26th 2004, 12:35 am
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Leg power

Originally posted by Bix
Neither the wife nor I can drive and someone has suggested this could be a problem for us in OZ especially as we are headed for semi-bush land.

I don't see it as a major thing as I cycle to work everyday in the UK and think the roads are probably flatter in OZ so a few extra miles won't be a problem.

Shopping will be more difficult but I thought I could perhaps pull a dilly. Of course I will have to build a box on it I suppose. Don't want broken eggs on the highway!!

Mate...I think the vast distances between places ( especially in semi bush ) and the heat will make it unfeasable. Thus maybe doing your tests might be advisable !
Old Jan 26th 2004, 2:34 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bix

Cycling in the heat or tropical thunderstorms is not recommended and the local drivers will not be sympathetic when overtaking. All I can advise is get some driving lessons. Bush oz is not suddenly going to get public transport.

The only thing Canberra had going for it was cycling lanes. Not something I have seen anywhere else in Australia although I am sure someone else might correct me.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 3:00 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Cycling in Canberra

Lots of touring cycling events around if you look:

Cycling events

Maybe a local cycling club / association you can contact for non-petrol-head advice?
Old Jan 26th 2004, 3:01 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd have thought Australia was one of the last places you should go if you can't drive, unless you fancy a VERY restricted urban life. Would be a shame not to have your own transport out there - you wouldn't see half as much.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by bondipom
Cycling in the heat or tropical thunderstorms is not recommended and the local drivers will not be sympathetic when overtaking. All I can advise is get some driving lessons. Bush oz is not suddenly going to get public transport.

The only thing Canberra had going for it was cycling lanes. Not something I have seen anywhere else in Australia although I am sure someone else might correct me.

You know what i am going ot say don't you BP?

Adelaide has cycling lanes all over the place!!

Also, bike riding is easy as most of the city and surrounding suburbs are flat. If you want some real leg testing rides go up in the hills!
Old Jan 26th 2004, 3:05 am
Banned

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I'd have thought Australia was one of the last places you should go if you can't drive, unless you fancy a VERY restricted urban life. Would be a shame not to have your own transport out there - you wouldn't see half as much.
Have to disagree - reckon a cyclist is likely to see 5 times as much in a fifth of the distance.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 3:07 am
Don
Banned

Originally posted by Megalania
Have to disagree - reckon a cyclist is likely to see 5 times as much in a fifth of the distance.
Yeah, right - but it would put a slightly different emphasis on (say) going shopping, popping out for a walk on the beach or a swim, going for a jaunt to somewhere new etc etc.

At risk of repeating myself: yeah, right.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

If you live in cities or suburbs, i see absolutely no problem with using a bike to get around.

I think some people have the wrong impression of Oz..theres very little you cant do in Oz that you cant do in UK. If you bike it there, you can bike it here, as long as you dont live in the bush!! Also, the public transport systems in Oz make the UKs look pathetic!!
Old Jan 26th 2004, 3:13 am
Banned

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Yeah, right - but it would put a slightly different emphasis on (say) going shopping, popping out for a walk on the beach or a swim, going for a jaunt to somewhere new etc etc.

At risk of repeating myself: yeah, right.
Been chafing to trot this out:

Mulga Bill’s Bicycle
Old Jan 26th 2004, 3:13 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney is just too hilly, the motorists too inconsiderate and the politicians too inept.

PP Get on your bike then. That will shed you some pounds.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 3:14 am
Don
Banned

Originally posted by podgypossum
If you live in cities or suburbs, i see absolutely no problem with using a bike to get around.

I think some people have the wrong impression of Oz..theres very little you cant do in Oz that you cant do in UK. If you bike it there, you can bike it here, as long as you dont live in the bush!! Also, the public transport systems in Oz make the UKs look pathetic!!
OK, you lot are the experts. But in my all-too-brief sojourn in Aus (Cairns, QLD, Brisbane, Sydney) I definitely got the impression it was spread out, not exactly LA but getting there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.