Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Left turn, right turn, whose right of way?

Left turn, right turn, whose right of way?

Old May 20th 2004, 12:57 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough
Default Left turn, right turn, whose right of way?

In not a very long time driving around Melbourne (on holiday) the following has happened to me *twice*, so I'm wondering if this is a case where the rule is different from in the UK: at a cross-roads, I and another car approach the main road from opposing minor roads (so let's say the main road runs east-west, I'm heading north and the other driver is heading south). There are no other cars around. I signal to turn right (to head east) and the other driver signals to turn left (also to head east). To my surprise the other driver gives way to me! This is exactly the opposite of what I would expect in the UK.

Any illuminating comments from experienced local Victorian drivers? My interpretation of the Victoria R&R does not lead me to expect this behaviour.

Mark
Old May 20th 2004, 1:42 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: Left turn, right turn, whose right of way?

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
In not a very long time driving around Melbourne (on holiday) the following has happened to me *twice*, so I'm wondering if this is a case where the rule is different from in the UK: at a cross-roads, I and another car approach the main road from opposing minor roads (so let's say the main road runs east-west, I'm heading north and the other driver is heading south). There are no other cars around. I signal to turn right (to head east) and the other driver signals to turn left (also to head east). To my surprise the other driver gives way to me! This is exactly the opposite of what I would expect in the UK.

Any illuminating comments from experienced local Victorian drivers? My interpretation of the Victoria R&R does not lead me to expect this behaviour.

Mark
i can't say for the rules in vic, but i didn't think there was such a rule in the UK. I thought it was just down to who had the biggest car or best looking bike? .... or failing that common courstesy. ?

i'm probably wrong but as nobody else seems to know i'll stick with it for now.
Old May 20th 2004, 1:52 pm
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by scutterUK
i can't say for the rules in vic, but i didn't think there was such a rule in the UK. I thought it was just down to who had the biggest car or best looking bike? .... or failing that common courstesy. ?
Yes, I'm not sure there's really a rule as such in the UK either (where's my Highway Code, oh I didn't bring it on holiday, whataclotami) but certainly common (i.e. frequent) courtesy would give right-of-way to the left-turner. I think. Either that or I've been unintentionally p***ing off a lot of UK drivers!
Old May 20th 2004, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Mark
Mark, enjoy reading the road rules at:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/

Click on road rules

OzTennis
Old May 20th 2004, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Scutter, you go to:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/...Document&Area=[Motorcyclists]

OzTennis
Old May 20th 2004, 2:17 pm
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by OzTennis
Mark, enjoy reading the road rules at:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/

Click on road rules

OzTennis
Very enjoyable! Doesn't help. Says (heavily edited): "after stopping... you *must* give way to any vehicle in, entering or approaching the intersection except: an oncoming vehicle turning right..." which supports my UK-biased rule rather than what I've observed. Odd.

Mind you, natives can get confused. I have heard one Aussie be quite adamant that undertaking is illegal. Not so; there are clear conditions in which it is or is not allowed. But it does show that one should not always trust the locals' interpretation.

Er, by "undertaking" I obviously don't mean the business of dealing with dead bodies BTW!
Old May 20th 2004, 3:01 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Er, by "undertaking" I obviously don't mean the business of dealing with dead bodies BTW!
pmsl....

around donny you're lucky if they're driving on the left side of the road..... or was it right? no left! they never stop for zebra crossings and if you enter a box junction when the lights are on green, just watch out for the idiots still piling through the lights at red!

i suppose once you've got your licence the highway code is just a rough guide. Riding a bike makes you VERY aware of invisible you are on the road. Treat everyone like and idoit and they wont let you down.

cheers for that OT. it'll give me something to do this afternoon while i'm at work.

Old May 20th 2004, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

i learnt to drive in germany and they seem to have the same rules as oz, if it is an unmarked junction then give way to the right

we had a few near misses where people who had a scabby old car pulled out in front of us to try and get us to buy them another car:scared:

beware

arlene
Old May 20th 2004, 4:02 pm
life begins again...

Originally posted by arlene
i learnt to drive in germany and they seem to have the same rules as oz, if it is an unmarked junction then give way to the right

we had a few near misses where people who had a scabby old car pulled out in front of us to try and get us to buy them another car:scared:

beware

arlene
hi arlene, how's the pan withdrawal symptoms coming on? is he coping ok?
Old May 20th 2004, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

oh scutter

every time a bike goes past he has this wistful look, he has not been without a bike since the 70's

he has got bad withdrawal symptoms, has got all the paperwork ready to claim his prized pocession

arlene
Old May 20th 2004, 4:21 pm
life begins again...

Originally posted by arlene
oh scutter

every time a bike goes past he has this wistful look, he has not been without a bike since the 70's

he has got bad withdrawal symptoms, has got all the paperwork ready to claim his prized pocession

arlene

LOL... he has my deeeeepest sympathies!! i know exactly how he feels. I had to give up biking for a whole year due to financial difficulities.... (i thought i was going to get married! haha), and i missed having a bike ever second of it.

well i hope he doesn't suffer too much and she is back in his possession soon, and more importantly in one peice!

by the way i hope you're coping with his loss better than he is.

good luck and take care.

leigh
Old May 20th 2004, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sutherland - til we find a house with a nice kitchen! Oh, even better - found one with a nice pool.
Mr. Ee will become famous soon enoughMr. Ee will become famous soon enough

You have right of way, even in good 'ol Blighty.
Reason: a driver should always give way to traffic coming from the right, and in the strictest sense you are coming from his right.
i.e.

| |
| |
| *| (*=Him)
--------- -----------------------
|--->Your path, hence coming from his right.
|
--------- | -----------------------
|+ | (+=You)
| |
| |

Drivers in Britain seem to think that as the (*) driver doesn't need to cross a lane of the road to join it then they have right of way. Not so; the (+) driver has right of way.
Old May 20th 2004, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sutherland - til we find a house with a nice kitchen! Oh, even better - found one with a nice pool.
Mr. Ee will become famous soon enoughMr. Ee will become famous soon enough

Damn, forgot multiple spaces would be compressed when posted...
It looked better when I drew it, honest!
Old May 20th 2004, 4:36 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Mr. Ee
Damn, forgot multiple spaces would be compressed when posted...
It looked better when I drew it, honest!
10 out of 10 for effort Mr E, I'm impressed.
Old May 20th 2004, 6:28 pm
life begins again...

Originally posted by Bordy
10 out of 10 for effort Mr E, I'm impressed.

and i bet it took ages working all that out... well done though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.