Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Left Hand Drive cars in Victoria??

Left Hand Drive cars in Victoria??

Old Jul 18th 2004, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

colinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant future
Default Left Hand Drive cars in Victoria??

Hi All,

I'm contemplating taking my LHD Peugeot 406 Coupe to Melbourne. I imported it from Germany and will get next to nothing for it over here, even though it is in fantastic condition.

I know that my heart is ruling my mind here, (I should have sold it in Germany) but does anyone know if LHD cars are permitted in the State of Victoria?

Will I have to pay tax on the cost of the car, or on its current value( Age 1998 value <£4000) ?

Thanks in advance.

Colin

P.S. I know I should sell it here and cut my losses - but its my pride and joy
Old Jul 18th 2004, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Left Hand Drive cars in Victoria??

Originally posted by colinmorgan
Hi All,

I'm contemplating taking my LHD Peugeot 406 Coupe to Melbourne. I imported it from Germany and will get next to nothing for it over here, even though it is in fantastic condition.

I know that my heart is ruling my mind here, (I should have sold it in Germany) but does anyone know if LHD cars are permitted in the State of Victoria?

Will I have to pay tax on the cost of the car, or on its current value( Age 1998 value <£4000) ?

Thanks in advance.

Colin

As far as I know....the only time you are allowed to drive a LHD vehicle on the roads in Vic is to take it to be converted to RHD and even then you have to get a special licence from Vicroads....You also have to have visible signs on the back of the car to warn its LHD....

Well thats how it used to be...try finding the VicRoads website...might tell you on there

Old Jul 19th 2004, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I'm contemplating taking my LHD Peugeot 406 Coupe to Melbourne.
Forget it it has to be 25 years old. Bloody fwd coupe
Old Jul 19th 2004, 2:52 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

Colin

Based on our experience of bring our LHD car to Perth, I would advise dont do it !!!!!!!!

Aside from the costs (Duty 25% and GST 10%) which are based on the current value of the car (get RAC to do an independant valuation of your car on arrival cos OZ value will be much lower than you think - ours was $5000 lower than we expected Woohoo), there are quite a few things that need to be done to make it compliant. WA doesnt insist on LHD -> RHD conversion, but I know some other states do (dont know which ones though - have you contacted DOTARS yet?)

Even taking that out of the equation, you could still be looking at upwards of $1000 to pass the compliance inspection before your license plate is issued.

Cant give exact advice cos our car is a 4x4 which has slightly different rules that apply than "family" cars.

Seriously it was a complete hassle not just moneywise but time as well (took us nearly 2 months from when our container arrived to actually having the car on the road) and with hindsight we should have taken the hit and sold it in Germany even it was (is) Chris's pride and joy.

Add up all the costs (container, Duty, GST, compliance work etc) and you will find that it probably comes to about the same amount as the hit you will take for selling before you come to OZ.

Another point to bear in mind is if you sell it, think of the fun you will have finding a new car here in OZ, cos trust me there are some great ones here and very cheap in comparison also.

Good luck whatever you do.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LHD cars in Australia

don't even think about it, mate.
Most australian states are very funny about LHD cars on their roads. In SA, where I live, a car can only be LHD if it's a "classic" car . . . i.e. 30 years or older. Then it has to be specially registered, and is given a logbook . . to be filled out before each drive, or a $10,000 fine! . . . and can only be drive 90 days of the year . . . you choose which 90 and fill the log book in before you drive on the road that day.
Hope this stops any thoughts of bringing a potentially risky vehicle on Australian roads, till it's converted.