Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving your children behind.

Wikiposts

Leaving your children behind.

Old Apr 9th 2005, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Default Re: Leaving your children behind.

No we are lucky too no detrimental comments to our faces. For us the decision to stay was our sons. We put off applying in 2003 because we were told by an agent it would be difficult to prove that he was dependant.

Since then he has been to Italy for 3 months and thoroughly enjoyed a different way of life, and is now encouraging us to go. I hope he will come for hols etc and that in time when he is ready he will join us. He now has a very active social life and is making his own plans.

like other posters we will have to have some contingency plans in place
Think we have raised between us a bunch of very mature young adults you respect our ambitions. So give yourselves a pat on the back smile and think what a good job you have done. I know that doesn't take away the sadness it didn't when mine went to Italy.

How I see it is that I could think ah well he isnt coming I'll stay the in afew years time when I am too old to apply he'll go!!!! This way he can join us or when we have tried it we can come back if we wish

Not an easy position to be in and I am sure we will all cry buckets!!!!!

stocking up on hankies now!!!! lol

Chris
Old Apr 10th 2005, 3:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
Just wished DIMIA made it easier for families to stay together.
Your sentiments are understood, but the Australian community is not prepared to accept automatic migration of extended families based on one individual.

Spouses and dependent children - yes.

Adult children, brothers, sisters, cousins, parents - no. There are schemes where relatives in these categories can migrate if they meet certain criteria, but there is no blanket acceptance.

This may be harsh but is the only basis on which Australia can run a migration program. The alternative is to let no-one migrate.

Jeremy
Old Apr 10th 2005, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Your sentiments are understood, but the Australian community is not prepared to accept automatic migration of extended families based on one individual.

Spouses and dependent children - yes.

Adult children, brothers, sisters, cousins, parents - no. There are schemes where relatives in these categories can migrate if they meet certain criteria, but there is no blanket acceptance.

This may be harsh but is the only basis on which Australia can run a migration program. The alternative is to let no-one migrate.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

Yes I fully understand and accept the terms of Australian migration, there is such a fine line on dependancy and the Australian Government have to draw the line somewhere.

We have to deal with leaving a child (not really a child at 20, I know!!) in the UK or not go. He will in time decide what is right for him.

Chris
Old Apr 10th 2005, 4:24 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

I remember watching New life down under and 2 familys left "older" kids behind
Mandy Skeggs had a son who had hes own house here in the uk and would,nt move to OZ, and another lad arrived with his family stayed about a week and said he missed he's girlfriend too much and went straight back again!

Also if you do a search on this forum you will find others have been in your exact position, you,re not alone,
Old Apr 10th 2005, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

This thread has really helped loads. I did feel I was the only one leaving the older ones behind. But, as Chris says, at the end of the day if they come out to visit and decide they like it, then that's such a wonderful opportunity for them and their families that it almost seems unfair not to go. That's my reasoning behind the whole thing, but I wouild be being dishonest if I didn't say it's also because it's what I want for myself and the youngest.

I'm doing this on the basis of having all relocation paid for by the employer and a low personal budget, but will ensure that we can get back/forward when we need to, not least when the baby's born.

There is always Australian Sponsored Regional Migration that seems to be rarely mentioned anywhere, especially at Sandown when I tried to find out.

Will start a separate thread on it to see what anyone knows.

Old Apr 11th 2005, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

nanci will become famous soon enoughnanci will become famous soon enough

My daughter came with us to Sydney and stayed for a month, she then returned to her boyfriend, who she couldn't bare to be parted from. As we said goodbye to each other at the airport she said "It is just something I have to do, mum", I understood, but that didn't make the pain any less.

Seven months on, later this year she and her boyfirend are planning to visit us for six months, so that they can get a better feel for life over here.

There is email, phone, text and if all else fails good old snail mail, I feel as close to her as ever, life goes on.

As my mum said to me when she was born, enjoy her she's only on loan to you and be proud when she makes her own life. We should all be proud that our children can make their own lives, and they will always know where we are should they need us.

Nanci