Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

leaving young kids behind

Wikiposts

leaving young kids behind

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 7:04 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: leaving young kids behind

Hi Chrissie
We are in the same situation with an 8 year old (my husband's son) and I am really dreading telling him. Because we are not moving for at least another couple of years, we have not told him or his mother yet. We managed to take him for a medical without his mother's knowledge as we see him every week.
We haven't thought about giving him the choice as not sure he would want to choose one parent over another at this stage. Even if he did want to come his mother wouldn't let him - and I can understand that. We are hoping he will think about further education in Oz when he is older.
I don't know how my husband will feel about leaving him when the time comes but we plan on annual visits and weekly webcams. How does the web cam work for you - how long have you been doing it?
When are you thinking of breaking the news?
Scotty
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:10 am
Just Joined

devils advocate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scotty1
We managed to take him for a medical without his mother's knowledge as we see him every week.

Scotty
Whilst I completely understand your position and feelings, please be very very careful. If she found out about the medical, it is perfectly reasonable for his mother to suspect an abduction attempt could be made. If she pursues this, at best she could cause a lot of trouble for you and at worst she could get any current contact arrangements modified.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

andrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really nice

We told them about 6 months before we left the UK. We made sure we had the kids over a long weekend and told them on the Friday and we talked a lot over that weekend so by the time they left us on the Monday evening and went back to their mother we had had lots of chats about things and sorted it out before their mother put the knife in. Before we left we had already talked about "their" new bedroom and the furniture that they had in the UK will be in their new bedroom. My daughter needed a new bed so we bought that here and told her about it when we had bought it. When their rooms have furniture in we will talk a digital picture and email it to them. They are already planning their trips out here even though I know it will be a battle with their mum. We talk at least twice a week on MSN or Skype and sometimes, we have a chat and just play the games on MSN whilst we chat!!

We gave them enough time before we came to get used to the idea and try and keep things just as they were, we are just 12000 miles away!!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

chrissie181 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mark 'n' joe
Hi Chrissie

My other half has an 11 year old son who lives with his mum too. We have told him we are aiming for Oz and he understands. He says he will come out to us as soon as he can and is even planning his bedroom! His mum will definately not let us take him for medicals though. She says we need to grow up because we want to go Like you say she wont always be able to control him. Though she ll do the same and say we've left him!!

Jx

Yeah its a tough one isn't it. The ex wife is always going to be a pain in the arse! ( Is that swearing? sorry if it is)
Even though I got together with my husband years after they had split up. His ex still thinks she has some God given right to try and make life difficult for us, but all it does is make it hard on the Kids. They are the ones that suffer. They are getting older though and hopefully will start to see through the rubbish. They are very close to their Dad and I think it would take an awfully lot for her to turn them against him for ever.

Chrissie
Old Jan 24th 2006, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Well Chrissie I hope EVERYTHING goes well for you all & I send much love to you all for the future......

Claire
x

Thanks
Good Luck with everything too

Chrissie
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissie181
Yeah your right they are old enough to decide. I know they would never leave their Mum though, but I guess the point is to let them know they have a choice.
We are definitely having their medicals done because you never know what might happen in the future If their Mum couldn't look after them or was to die or something :scared:

Well good luck whatever happens, you never know in a few years they may decide that UK is no longer where they want to be!! I know when I was in my teens I'd have loved to have been able to go to Aus, pity it's took me so long to get anywhere near achieving that
Old Jan 24th 2006, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by chrissie181
Hi,

Is there any one out there leaving behind young Children. My husband has two daughters from his first marriage 13yrs and 11yrs. They live with their Mum so wouldn't be able to come with us. Its a hard decision but hopefully their Mum will let them come and stay in the holidays. We will both miss them like mad although even now we speak and see them mostly on MSN and the web cam, so we chat every day. Still hard leaving them behind though. So any one out there going through the same thing

Chrissie & Tony
At the risk of starting a war, it's just not something I would ever consider doing and find it hard to understand.

I have a hard enought time coping with the separation from my parents and siblings to even contemplate the separation from a child.

MSN and webcam don't substitute for human contact.

I would think very hard about whether the benefits you think you are going to get from moving to Oz are worth the sacrifice. Having lived in both places I know I would rather live in the UK with my children than in Australia without them.

Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sunlover
At the risk of starting a war, it's just not something I would ever consider doing and find it hard to understand.

I have a hard enought time coping with the separation from my parents and siblings to even contemplate the separation from a child.

MSN and webcam don't substitute for human contact.

I would think very hard about whether the benefits you think you are going to get from moving to Oz are worth the sacrifice. Having lived in both places I know I would rather live in the UK with my children than in Australia without them.

Thanks for your comments.

Unfortunately we dont live with my Husbands Girls in the Uk.We see them every other weekend,though and I know what you mean.
You are right Nothing does substitutes human contact. The decision to move to Oz and not see the Kids until the school holidays is most definitely one we have thought long and hard over , which is why we posted this thread in the first place.
I think I would feel the same as you if they were my Children and we all lived together as a proper family. However we dont. We share time with them. We are always open with them and they are very aware we have our own lives too, which I think they respect us for. They seem to think we are quite cool. Something Kids dont do after a certain age when they are with you all the time.
They will be in no doubt as they are now, that where ever we are they are always part of our life and are always welcome to be with us if they choose.

Many thanks
Chrissie & Tony
Old Jan 25th 2006, 4:51 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by devils advocate
Whilst I completely understand your position and feelings, please be very very careful. If she found out about the medical, it is perfectly reasonable for his mother to suspect an abduction attempt could be made. If she pursues this, at best she could cause a lot of trouble for you and at worst she could get any current contact arrangements modified.
Thanks for the thought - it never occured to us!! As we do not need her consent to have a medical (at least there is nothing on any form that required both parents to sign) and it is fully declared on the visa application that my stepson will not be coming with us - not sure how we could as he won't have a visa.