British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/leaving-uk-debt-unpaid-warning-620681/)

DEEDEE01 Jul 19th 2009 4:37 am

Re: Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 7764779)
:lol:

Funny when mods are not expected to have an opinion all of their own:rolleyes:

Who cares:p:lol:

:p:p

fraser Jul 19th 2009 4:41 am

Originally Posted by DEEDEE01 (Post 7764785)

Moving to Australia was the biggest thing me and my hubby have ever done, we wanted a fresh start, but if things don't work out here, we have to go back to the UK, if we did what most people are doing on here, we would be stranded and left in a world of shit. There are risks with everything I suppose, some pay off, some don't, I hope they catch up with everybody at some point, hopefully it won't be at a bad time in their lives, got help if they landed in strife in Oz !!

:)

We paid off all ours, not because I have morals where financial institutes and big companies are concerned I don't and wouldn't worry for a second had I knocked them.

But like you wanted to leave a clean slate.

Geelong Gent Jul 19th 2009 4:42 am

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 7764782)
Guys and gals, let's not let this thread degenerate into a personal slanging match and keep to the subject in hand please.

I don't want to close the thread due to people throwing rattles out of their pram:lol:

Depends if they paid for the pram or got it on interest free terms:p

About time people concentrated on their own finances rather than worry about others getting one over them. Each to their own - I'd rather sleep well at night.

DEEDEE01 Jul 19th 2009 4:46 am

Originally Posted by fraser (Post 7764789)
We paid off all ours, not because I have morals where financial institutes and big companies are concerned I don't and wouldn't worry for a second had I knocked them.

But like you wanted to leave a clean slate.

Good on ya.

:)

kar-kier Jul 19th 2009 4:47 am

On the subject of civil debt, my ex buggered off out the country owing me £6k in child maintainence payments - CSA told me they wouldn't bother chasing him, and that to say goodbye to ever seeing that money again - now THAT is morally wrong!!

sonlymewalter Jul 19th 2009 4:48 am

Originally Posted by fraser (Post 7764789)
.....wanted to leave a clean slate.

Yep.

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 7764791)
Each to their own - I'd rather sleep well at night.

Yep.

Centurion Jul 19th 2009 4:51 am

Originally Posted by DEEDEE01 (Post 7764639)
I thought you were supposed to be a moderator ! Didn' know it was all about taking sides, or is that a personal opinion your expressing, I forget now, does seem a private chat room sometimes, not a public forum !!!

Of course I am entitled to my own opinion. Moderation is a thankless and unpaid task carried out by a few long term active members of the forum who work behind the scenes dealing with spam, reported posts, duplicate trolling users and general thread admin.

My post was intended to keep this thread on track as to the legalities and practicalities of debt and the expat and not degenerate into the usual slanging match, as well as it being my own opinion. To be fair, its actually the best thread I've seen on that subject and to that end I would love to see it become a useful resource for the future and hope that it remains on track.

sonlymewalter Jul 19th 2009 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 7764806)
..... To be fair, its actually the best thread I've seen on that subject and to that end I would love to see it become a useful resource for the future and hope that it remains on track.

The thread has also included the legal and moral perspective which is great as the two are a real consideration:thumbsup:

Maybe we should ask Bernard Madoff to be guest speaker:rofl:

On a serious note: If the world needs to learn from recent economic events it is that the two issues need to be brought back in to line. Legal institutions need to realign the legal perspective with the moral and protect all parties concerned, including those who inadvertently find themselves in debt for whatever reason. I don't think there are many people for whatever reason that haven't found themselves in debt facing hard times at one time or another. Many people would like to see genuine hardship accounted for and those people looked after. It is "criminal" to allow genuine hardship cases to fall over when people really need the help. Conversely it is also hard to watch people shaft the system just because they can. If the finance world is to take the current situation seriously then all these factors are equally important and we can't ignore any of them.

Something needs to change, that's for sure. It's heartbreaking what's happened in the world today.

paulry Jul 19th 2009 5:11 am

Originally Posted by kar-kier (Post 7764798)
On the subject of civil debt, my ex buggered off out the country owing me £6k in child maintainence payments - CSA told me they wouldn't bother chasing him, and that to say goodbye to ever seeing that money again - now THAT is morally wrong!!

Sorry to read about that. Are you receiving any child support payments from him now?

perksy Jul 19th 2009 5:23 am

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 7764827)
The thread has also included the legal and moral perspective which is great as the two are a real consideration:thumbsup:

Maybe we should ask Bernard Madoff to be guest speaker:rofl:

On a serious note: If the world needs to learn from recent economic events it is that the two issues need to be brought back in to line. Legal institutions need to realign the legal perspective with the moral and protect all parties concerned, including those who inadvertently find themselves in debt for whatever reason. I don't think there are many people for whatever reason that haven't found themselves in debt facing hard times at one time or another. Many people would like to see genuine hardship accounted for and those people looked after. It is "criminal" to allow genuine hardship cases to fall over when people really need the help. Conversely it is also hard to watch people shaft the system just because they can. If the finance world is to take the current situation seriously then all these factors are equally important and we can't ignore any of them.

Something needs to change, that's for sure. It's heartbreaking what's happened in the world today.

Agree totally and a good post, however the change must start right at the top starting with the heads of the financial sector. How can Joe Public be educated on his finances when the financial instituations are shafting everyone knowing full well the government will help out should the occasion arise. Northern Rock anyone?

sonlymewalter Jul 19th 2009 5:33 am

Originally Posted by perksy (Post 7764843)
Agree totally and a good post, however the change must start right at the top starting with the heads of the financial sector. How can Joe Public be educated on his finances when the financial instituations are shafting everyone knowing full well the government will help out should the occasion arise. Northern Rock anyone?

Spot on. Everyone, especially the financial heads of institutions.

The Government unfortunately had to help out Northern Rock otherwise the everyday person would have found themselves in the shit. Where the real problem lies is that NR should be made to pay back whatever it cost to keep it going and the bloody fat cat Directors who got it where it is should be made to pay back their big bonuses or else keep the business going with clear agreed benchmarks to ensure success, with limited payback for getting it back on track. They too should be made to pay back their debt to the government and society for bleeding the company dry with their bonus schemes based on non existent "real" asset building. They robbed the shareholders dry through talking up the shares. Let the robbing barstewards pay back and prove themselves their worth.

kar-kier Jul 19th 2009 5:40 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 7764834)
Sorry to read about that. Are you receiving any child support payments from him now?

Not a sausage!!! My son is now 11, and this happened when he was 6, so not only is there £6k up to him being 6, but there is also another 5 years where I should have been getting paid!!

paulry Jul 19th 2009 6:04 am

Originally Posted by kar-kier (Post 7764869)
Not a sausage!!! My son is now 11, and this happened when he was 6, so not only is there £6k up to him being 6, but there is also another 5 years where I should have been getting paid!!

That's very annoying. The CSL (I think they've disbanded now) were only interested in recovering money that the state has had to pay you and your child/ren. My sister suffered a similar situation (she lives in Cape Town and he moved back to the UK). She engaged someone to sort it out for her. Now he has no say in the matter - it get's deducted directly from his pay and transferred to her in South Africa.

You'll never see the money that he's not paid you to date but you can potentially make sure that he coughs up from now until your son is 21. If you like I can find out who my sister engaged to sort it out - I know it was done in South Africa but the methods are probably the same. PM me if you want me to find out for you.

Regards,

Paul

Deancm Jul 19th 2009 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Devlin (Post 7762234)
Yes it is stealing. You are trying to use semantics to justify it. If believing not shirking your debt responsibilities makes me a "do-gooder" then so be it! :rolleyes:

It sounds to me that you don't even know what theft is. Go and look it up but for your benefit theft is:

"To dishonestly appropriate property belonging to another with the intention to permanetly deprive."

In order to be convicted of a theft charge the prosecutor has to prove the following:

1. There is an act of dishonesty
2. There is property that belongs to someone else
3. Property has been appropriated
4. Intent to keep said property permanently

Deancm Jul 19th 2009 8:44 am

Originally Posted by POW148 (Post 7762331)
It is because of people like her that make us honest people pay extra when dealing with financial institutes. They factor all this "Bad Debt" and costs involved in recovering the debt into their own costs and of course, we as the end users, pay that bill.

Barney:thumbdown:

That is rubbish. The debt gets written of as a bad debt and claimed against tax/insurance.

Geelong Gent Jul 19th 2009 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Deancm (Post 7765100)
That is rubbish. The debt gets written of as a bad debt and claimed against tax/insurance.

Really? You have a masters in product/service costing to determine this?

Reality is bad debt is included in the costing of all products and services. The increasing rate of which changes the rate you pay.

For our banking clients:sneaky: this has had to be "reviewed" on a monthly basis since Sept 08. Something used to be done annually.

ABCDiamond Jul 19th 2009 10:09 am

Even if it is written off against tax, they only get the tax rate amount back, so maybe $300 on a $1,000 debt. That still leaves $700 to be passed on to all the other customers, like you and me, to pay on behalf of those that don't.

Dorutland Jul 19th 2009 11:44 am

Hi All,

If you declare yourself bankrupt in the UK three questions:

Can they take Aus earnings into account?

Can they take Aus assets into account?

If you say nothing, does it affect your Aus credit rating?

Many thanks peeps!!

nickyjohnt Jul 19th 2009 11:50 am

I think you should re-think about what you just quoted!!! Do you really think the financial instutions swallow up all these debts. I'm sure the share holders would love that. Would you happily pay these insurance policies out of you pocket..... i doubt that very much
It is passed on to every one else not just written off

kar-kier Jul 19th 2009 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dorutland (Post 7765351)
Hi All,

If you declare yourself bankrupt in the UK three questions:

Can they take Aus earnings into account?

Can they take Aus assets into account?

If you say nothing, does it affect your Aus credit rating?

Many thanks peeps!!

No
No
No, if you don't tell them, BUT that will mean telling out right lies, as you are asked when opening accounts, mortages etc!

jasonlec Jul 19th 2009 1:52 pm

Am amazed peeps on here tell everyone about their money probs, paying off debt etc.
Speaking as a multi millionaire I just dont get it.
Dont get the child support bit either, if you dont live with the kid why should they have to pay out?

sonlymewalter Jul 19th 2009 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by jasonlec (Post 7765577)
Am amazed peeps on here tell everyone about their money probs, paying off debt etc.
Dont get the child support bit either, if you dont live with the kid why should they have to pay out?

That's some helluva electrical work you've done there mate:)

jasonlec Jul 19th 2009 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 7765593)

Real name is NG Bailey:rofl:

sonlymewalter Jul 19th 2009 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by jasonlec (Post 7765619)
Real name is NG Bailey:rofl:

Carry on telling porkies like that and you'll end up in the Old Bailey:lol:

Actually, you'll do well here:thumbsup:

jasonlec Jul 19th 2009 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 7765626)
Carry on telling porkies like that and you'll end up in the Old Bailey:lol:

Actually, you'll do well here:thumbsup:

;):rofl:

Janna and Nick Jul 19th 2009 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by jasonlec (Post 7765577)

I do hope you are joking on this one.... :confused:

Geelong Gent Jul 19th 2009 11:43 pm

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10585507

Out of interest recent changes in NZ likely too flow through to Oz

Geelong Gent Jul 19th 2009 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 7765593)

Copper wire prices:sneaky:

goldchoccycoin Jul 20th 2009 12:46 am

Regarding the Stduent Loan thing (Perksy?), I have 3 student loans 1996, 1997, 1998. I'm currently paying them off and will continue to do so as I am grateful for a good education and luckily can afford it with no real issues (mostly due to a good job directly related to a good education!)...

but! Totally theoretically, if I decided to close the UK account I pay out of (direct debit agreement signed in 1996) they have no way of making me pay?

My loans (luckily) are fairly low as I was able to receive the grants at the time. I do however have friends whose loans are now around the 7500quid mark. Can they just leave them? Surely there is some come-uppance? Or is it truly as simple as closing UK account and staying out of UK for 5 years?

If this is the case I'm amazed that the SLC can miss out on so much cash!

Just to reiterate to anyone who feels morally outraged, I won't be doing this - I am only a few hundred quid from paying it off. And as I have family in the UK it's just not worth having that hanging over me as I may have to one day move back - anything can happen.

sr71 Jul 20th 2009 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 7766589)
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10585507

Out of interest recent changes in NZ likely too flow through to Oz

Can't see that having much effect, I think one of the companies in the UK does this (Equifax) and then charge you to see your score.

The reality is this is just a money making exercise by the credit reference agency, they are creating a product that they hope there will be a demand for. They are not actually providing any additional information. How many times you have applied for credit, with who and any judgements/defaults is already available to anyone doing a credit search - they are just relating this to a score and selling it for more money.

NikiL Jul 20th 2009 6:06 am

Originally Posted by kar-kier (Post 7764798)

Go to court, get a REMO agreement (or Australian equivalent) assuming the agreement exists between the two countries in question (certainly does UK and Australia) then Australian CSA can enforce it through the CSA of whichever country he is in.

http://www.officialsolicitor.gov.uk/..._countries.htm

kar-kier Jul 20th 2009 6:19 am

Originally Posted by NikiL (Post 7767066)
Go to court, get a REMO agreement (or Australian equivalent) assuming the agreement exists between the two countries in question (certainly does UK and Australia) then Australian CSA can enforce it through the CSA of whichever country he is in.

http://www.officialsolicitor.gov.uk/..._countries.htm

Thanks for that! Karma on it's way!

bishdoctor Jul 20th 2009 6:34 am

Hi i have a question about leaving debt in australia, had lots of bad news the last few weeks and more today, to cut a long story short i lost my job so did the wife, we managed to keep paying bills, mortgage etc but decided we just couldnt struggle on any longer so have booked flights home, problem is we have no money wat so ever and are worried sick as we have a credit card with $4000 and to top the lot today we found out we have to pay 4 grand in penalties for stamp duty as we havent had the house 12 months, im basically crapping myself as we have never been in debt and i just dont know how i'm going to pay them back, we made 10 grand on house but that just covers fees, any advice please

ronan_in_Oz Jul 20th 2009 7:24 am

Originally Posted by bishdoctor (Post 7767096)
Hi i have a question about leaving debt in australia, had lots of bad news the last few weeks and more today, to cut a long story short i lost my job so did the wife, we managed to keep paying bills, mortgage etc but decided we just couldnt struggle on any longer so have booked flights home, problem is we have no money wat so ever and are worried sick as we have a credit card with $4000 and to top the lot today we found out we have to pay 4 grand in penalties for stamp duty as we havent had the house 12 months, im basically crapping myself as we have never been in debt and i just dont know how i'm going to pay them back, we made 10 grand on house but that just covers fees, any advice please

I feel really bad and sorry. :(

I have the following suggestions:

1) Why do not you ask your friends/relatives back home for li'l help. I'm sure that way you can arrange some funds.

2) Why not talk to your credit card company and see if you can buy some more time.

Remember, leaving your debts behind might not be the best thing to do :(. I'm only saying this, coz it might affect your chances of returning back to Australia in the future.

I wish you a really good luck...

RenShen Jul 20th 2009 8:59 am

I have a question that might fit into this thread.

My cousin hopes to move to Australia shortly but he has a £2k credit card debt. He has worked to pay off other debts but just has this one left.

I am not saying I agree with him but I think he is planning to come to Australia and leave the debt behind, not giving the creditors his forwarding address. However, he is worried because he has a few thousand in a UK account. Its only in his name though, its not his money. His brother in law owns the money......long story but there you go.

The question is, if he comes to Australia, could a debt collection agency get their hands on the money that he has in the account in the UK?

Thanks,
Ren

jimmie2807 Jul 20th 2009 10:05 am

Originally Posted by kar-kier (Post 7761323)
Yeah, that is the other side of the coin! There really is no going back . . . unless you wait about 6 years, then it is wiped!

Erm not technically true, If you do decide to go back then all you have to do is ring them up and tell them your coming home and want to pay off the debts. You then arrange a payment plan. Chances are its been sold to an agency for about £1 in every £10 so you can actually wipe most of it off and pay probably 8/9 times less than the actual debt initially was. If you already been defaulted with a couple of years left then its really just not worth paying it back at all.

asprilla Jul 20th 2009 10:07 am

Originally Posted by perksy (Post 7762592)

Should you lend me a CD for example and I have every intention of giving it back to you which we both agree on. Is it stealing if I cannot for whatever reason give it back to you? You will find the answer is no.

I would have borrowed one of your DVD box sets as security.

jimmie2807 Jul 20th 2009 10:19 am

on the other hand, what are your taxes paying for??

I know a girl who has 4 kids with different dads and receives £400 a week cash plus £1500 a month rent. Thats more than I earn.

I put my house up for rent and all I have had is single mothers applying who havent worked a day in their lives.

I regularly deal with immigrants claiming benefits under 3/4 different names and living the high life.

Why should I have to pay taxes for these people?? They regularly deceive banks and institutions and nothing will happen to them.

begs the question why bother yourself??

perksy Jul 20th 2009 11:10 am

Originally Posted by tking (Post 7766651)
Regarding the Stduent Loan thing (Perksy?), I have 3 student loans 1996, 1997, 1998. I'm currently paying them off and will continue to do so as I am grateful for a good education and luckily can afford it with no real issues (mostly due to a good job directly related to a good education!)...

but! Totally theoretically, if I decided to close the UK account I pay out of (direct debit agreement signed in 1996) they have no way of making me pay?

My loans (luckily) are fairly low as I was able to receive the grants at the time. I do however have friends whose loans are now around the 7500quid mark. Can they just leave them? Surely there is some come-uppance? Or is it truly as simple as closing UK account and staying out of UK for 5 years?

If this is the case I'm amazed that the SLC can miss out on so much cash!

Just to reiterate to anyone who feels morally outraged, I won't be doing this - I am only a few hundred quid from paying it off. And as I have family in the UK it's just not worth having that hanging over me as I may have to one day move back - anything can happen.

Effectively yes you can. The pre-1998 Student Loans are classed as consumer debts. Its just the same as doing a bunk on your credit card, overdraft or store card. Sure your UK credit score will get hammered but if you plan never to go back within the 5 or 6 year time frame then its irrevelent. With the post 1998 loans the loophole was closed and they are now classed as civil debts for which theres no escape in Australia.

perksy Jul 20th 2009 11:12 am

Originally Posted by RenShen (Post 7767314)
I have a question that might fit into this thread.

My cousin hopes to move to Australia shortly but he has a £2k credit card debt. He has worked to pay off other debts but just has this one left.

I am not saying I agree with him but I think he is planning to come to Australia and leave the debt behind, not giving the creditors his forwarding address. However, he is worried because he has a few thousand in a UK account. Its only in his name though, its not his money. His brother in law owns the money......long story but there you go.

The question is, if he comes to Australia, could a debt collection agency get their hands on the money that he has in the account in the UK?

Thanks,
Ren

Highly doubtful since they cant CCJ him because he doesn't reside in England or Wales.