Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving the UK and credit card debts behind?

Leaving the UK and credit card debts behind?

Old Sep 10th 2010, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Leaving the UK and credit card debts behind?

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Yeah, do it. They'll never find you and even if they do, they don't have a legal leg to stand on. And don't listen to all the high and mighties that will come charging in here on their high horse.

That should get the ball rolling.
Deans got it spot on. As long as you're sure you're not going to go back and you wouldn't feel bad about it there's not much more to it
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benhila
At least by getting f***ed metaphorically and not literally you don't get to spread dishonesty genes around.

In this context, if you lent someone money (or anything else of value) and he decided to breach the contract leaving you high and dry, you are being f***ed. If you then feel the urge to find moral justifications for the person who f***ed you, you are a better person than me!
If you shaft a bank are you really shafting anyone considering that the banks are more than happy to shaft everyone?
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

If you shaft a bank are you really shafting anyone considering that the banks are more than happy to shaft everyone?
Banks take bad debt into consideration when deciding on their rates and charges so in effect you are f***ing everyone (as in all the 'little' people) not the banks.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Banks take bad debt into consideration when deciding on their rates and charges so in effect you are f***ing everyone (as in all the 'little' people) not the banks.
So a person moves overseas leaving say $10K in debt behind and yet a company goes broke with say $600 million in debt. Hmmm, the little people are driving up the rates and charges.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Banks simply use that as an excuse to extort more money, in the way of charges, from all of their customers.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

So a person moves overseas leaving say $10K in debt behind and yet a company goes broke with say $600 million in debt. Hmmm, the little people are driving up the rates and charges.
So if you kill only one person (compared to Bin Ladden who killed thousands) you can avoid responsibility? Being dishonest on a 'small' scale is still wrong in my books but maybe I am being old fashioned.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:47 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

It's surely a matter of moral philosophy rather than practicality.

You can do it, but is it moral ?

I would argue that Aristotle would perceive it as not moral and the incorrect course, whereas Kant would consider it to be a matter for the person.

Nietzsche would have done the bunk, because he felt there was no universal morality and men are individuals and must be judged as such.

Schopenhauer would never have got into debt because only though denial of will through poverty can one achieve wisdom.

Debate this all you want, but it's kinda been done to death way before you or I were born and still not answered, nor will ever be.

And frankly, lunch is more interesting to think about anyway
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

So if you kill only one person (compared to Bin Ladden who killed thousands) you can avoid responsibility? Being dishonest on a 'small' scale is still wrong in my books but maybe I am being old fashioned.
Don't be ridiculous. Killing a person is a completely different ball game altogether.

For a start, if the debtor does a runner the debt will probably get sold so the creditor never actually loses out 100% anyway.

If you kill someone they're dead and they're not coming back. It's final. There's no way to reverse that situation unless you believe in reincarnation.

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Sep 10th 2010 at 3:52 am.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Centurion
It's surely a matter of moral philosophy rather than practicality.

You can do it, but is it moral ?

I would argue that Aristotle would perceive it as not moral and the incorrect course, whereas Kant would consider it to be a matter for the person.

Nietzsche would have done the bunk, because he felt there was no universal morality and men are individuals and must be judged as such.

Schopenhauer would never have got into debt because only though denial of will through poverty can one achieve wisdom.

Debate this all you want, but it's kinda been done to death way before you or I were born and still not answered, nor will ever be.

And frankly, lunch is more interesting to think about anyway
I agree with Nietzsche on this as morality is socially imposed and varies from society to society.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

Don't be ridiculous. Killing a person is a completely different ball game altogether.

For a start, if the debtor does a runner the debt will probably get sold so the creditor never actually lose out 100% anyway.

If you kill someone they're dead and they're not coming back. It's final. There's no way to reverse that situation unless you believe in reincarnation.
You will know all about it, having 'risen from the ashes'

Let's just agree to disagree.

Cheers
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

mavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud of

Wow definitely a hot topic...I fully intend on clearing my debts because I could not live with the fear of a) someone tracking me abroad and b) the consequences if I moved back.....I wish I did have the guts to walk away since my CC company is nothing short of a robber. I have always paid on time...over my repayment and what happens....my interest rate has gone through the roof. That in my opinion is immoral. Lending money at an agreed rate and then hiking up the rate when it suits them.

I do wonder if anyone has actually got caught abroad or when they've come home? The overiding answer I feel is no, judging by the posts. So I guess I am the stupid one! But at least I will sleep at night.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mavine1
Wow definitely a hot topic...I fully intend on clearing my debts because I could not live with the fear of a) someone tracking me abroad and b) the consequences if I moved back.....I wish I did have the guts to walk away since my CC company is nothing short of a robber. I have always paid on time...over my repayment and what happens....my interest rate has gone through the roof. That in my opinion is immoral. Lending money at an agreed rate and then hiking up the rate when it suits them.

I do wonder if anyone has actually got caught abroad or when they've come home? The overiding answer I feel is no, judging by the posts. So I guess I am the stupid one! But at least I will sleep at night.
There are some, from my memory of previous threads - either people have been tracked down abroad, or their relatives back home have been harrassed. Tis certainly a hot topic though, always is
Old Sep 11th 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

The OP is obviously going to do the right thing. The attitude of some of the others is why humans are the all singing all dancing rubbish of the planet. Nobody forces you to take out a debt and you are honour bound to pay it back or is that attitude part of a Britain that no longer exists? Their opinion would be acceptable if the next time they are burgled or their car stolen they sympathised with the perpetrator if he was more in need than them and let the matter go.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 8:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you can pay your debt, you should. End of story.

If you cannot pay, then there are legal devices that allow you at least to start again from zero, such as bankruptcy or an Individual Voluntary Arrangement.

Or you get a creditor to accept (in writing) part payment in settlement of full amount.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

SRDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you can pay your debt, you should. End of story.

If you cannot pay, then there are legal devices that allow you at least to start again from zero, such as bankruptcy or an Individual Voluntary Arrangement.

Or you get a creditor to accept (in writing) part payment in settlement of full amount.
Hi Jaj,

Do you have any idea how hard it would be to get a creditor to reduce the sum owed for full settlement? (Just read that back to myself - its an actual question...not a rhetorical one!) Does it happen alot? I'm presuming that would have a negative effect on your credit rating?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.