Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving the UK on an Australian passport?

Leaving the UK on an Australian passport?

Old Mar 27th 2023, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light
Default Leaving the UK on an Australian passport?

UK/Australian passport holder/citizen, but the UK passport has since become out of date.
Lived in the UK for over six years and planning to leave the UK for good possibly.
Will you be fine to leave the UK and enter Australia on a Australian passport only; they will not demand to see a UK passport at Heathrow; having been in the UK for so long when leaving the country?

Thanks for any help
Old Mar 27th 2023, 11:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the UK on an Australian passport?

The only passport check that is possible at Heathrow will be the airline wanting to see a passport (and possibly visa where applicable) that allows you to enter Australia, and, if you're on a one-way ticket, to stay there indefinitely. .... In short, you're fine leaving the UK on an Australian passport, you will have literally zero issues.

In fact the UK really doesn't pay much attention to people leaving, in common with most open and democratic countries. It's mostly despotic regimes seem interested in exit visas and monitoring their people's comings and goings.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 27th 2023 at 11:52 am.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 2:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcab
UK/Australian passport holder/citizen, but the UK passport has since become out of date.
Lived in the UK for over six years and planning to leave the UK for good possibly.
Will you be fine to leave the UK and enter Australia on a Australian passport only; they will not demand to see a UK passport at Heathrow; having been in the UK for so long when leaving the country?

Thanks for any help
The UK doesn't (yet) have a rule about entering and leaving on a UK passport, so no, you will be fine.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The only passport check that is possible at Heathrow will be the airline wanting to see a passport (and possibly visa where applicable) that allows you to enter Australia, and, if you're on a one-way ticket, to stay there indefinitely. .... In short, you're fine leaving the UK on an Australian passport, you will have literally zero issues.

In fact the UK really doesn't pay much attention to people leaving, in common with most open and democratic countries. It's mostly despotic regimes seem interested in exit visas and monitoring their people's comings and goings.
Thankyou for you're reply. Just don't see the point of getting a UK passport as I'm not coming back.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The UK doesn't (yet) have a rule about entering and leaving on a UK passport, so no, you will be fine.
Cheers Poly.
How's life treating you?
Used to see you outside the RG in the valley now and then back in 2016. Was working so I couldn't come in at the time.
Been back here over six year's now time to give Adelaide a go.
The final voyage.......
Old Mar 28th 2023, 7:11 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Poly.
How's life treating you?
Used to see you outside the RG in the valley now and then back in 2016. Was working so I couldn't come in at the time.
Been back here over six year's now time to give Adelaide a go.
The final voyage.......
Ah, many good memories of RGs, not the best pub in the world, but a good place to drink & watch the world go by.

Don't know much about Adelaide, though I have visited a coupled of time and really like it, lovely peaceful atmosphere. Got a couple of mates there too who have been there a few years and love it.

Done my final voyage though, now been 3 weeks back in sunny Sussex, contentedly listening to the sea on the pebbles of Brighton beach.
Old Mar 29th 2023, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Ah, many good memories of RGs, not the best pub in the world, but a good place to drink & watch the world go by.

Don't know much about Adelaide, though I have visited a coupled of time and really like it, lovely peaceful atmosphere. Got a couple of mates there too who have been there a few years and love it.

Done my final voyage though, now been 3 weeks back in sunny Sussex, contentedly listening to the sea on the pebbles of Brighton beach.
Yep RG’s is great for people watching, great Burritos on a Monday night and a pitcher of VB. Then walk down to the Pig, a few more before falling into the Irish Murphy’s bar.
So you’re living in Brighton, lucky old you, probably my most favourite place in the UK, Quadrophenia Alley, some fantastic history Brighton has, and the old mod scene. Would love to live there but the rents are eye watering; house prices are to the moon. What sort of rent are you paying down there, north of £1k a month I bet?
When we got back over six years ago, was October, loved the cold, moved to the seaside like you, but up north, much cheaper, still here now, very cheap to rent, to live, but work prospects are very limited.
The other half had a heart attack this year and the oldest is in a wheel chair through ill health, so it’s only me and the youngest earning. I’m hoping to pick up some work straight away if we get to Australia.
If we were not citizens we would not come back, as we are only really swapping like for like as we are not really giving much up here. We are still in deliberation; have to make a decision by the end of June this year. The cost of living in Australia is high; now I am guessing but it’s going to be tight, as well as the problem of getting a rental, buying furniture, and buying a car. The costs are eye watering. I am not in any way wearing rose tinted, but if we do not go this year we are stuck up north in this seaside town for the rest of our lives.
You were a great help to us back in 2005/06 when we first applied for our PR visas. I remember this forum was busy busy busy back then, Fluffythecampfireslayer, Timberwoodfloor, it was a great site, very quiet now. I’m guessing no one can afford to emigrate, well you must be mad to consider it hey, says a lot about us as a family.
How are you finding Blighty, any regrets, I know you have been dying to get home for years, cashed in your super? Will be interested to read your updates on here. Why did you not return to Nottingham, any reasons for the Brighton Coast? Anyway, good time to arrive here with the summer coming.

Old Mar 29th 2023, 1:32 pm
Home and Happy

Yep RG’s is great for people watching, great Burritos on a Monday night and a pitcher of VB. Then walk down to the Pig, a few more before falling into the Irish Murphy’s bar.
So you’re living in Brighton, lucky old you, probably my most favourite place in the UK, Quadrophenia Alley, some fantastic history Brighton has, and the old mod scene. Would love to live there but the rents are eye watering; house prices are to the moon. What sort of rent are you paying down there, north of £1k a month I bet?
When we got back over six years ago, was October, loved the cold, moved to the seaside like you, but up north, much cheaper, still here now, very cheap to rent, to live, but work prospects are very limited.
The other half had a heart attack this year and the oldest is in a wheel chair through ill health, so it’s only me and the youngest earning. I’m hoping to pick up some work straight away if we get to Australia.
If we were not citizens we would not come back, as we are only really swapping like for like as we are not really giving much up here. We are still in deliberation; have to make a decision by the end of June this year. The cost of living in Australia is high; now I am guessing but it’s going to be tight, as well as the problem of getting a rental, buying furniture, and buying a car. The costs are eye watering. I am not in any way wearing rose tinted, but if we do not go this year we are stuck up north in this seaside town for the rest of our lives.
You were a great help to us back in 2005/06 when we first applied for our PR visas. I remember this forum was busy busy busy back then, Fluffythecampfireslayer, Timberwoodfloor, it was a great site, very quiet now. I’m guessing no one can afford to emigrate, well you must be mad to consider it hey, says a lot about us as a family.
How are you finding Blighty, any regrets, I know you have been dying to get home for years, cashed in your super? Will be interested to read your updates on here. Why did you not return to Nottingham, any reasons for the Brighton Coast? Anyway, good time to arrive here with the summer coming.
As yet, not a single regret, and apart from missing a few friends I don't really anticipate any regrets. All my family are in the UK, and health issues mean its better to be over here with them. Never liked the weather in Brisbane, and so as soon as I could afford to move back, having liberated my super, I was on that plane. Couldn't afford to it until I could get my Super. So far its been stormy weather most days, but also some warmer sunny intervals, just lovely to not be hot all the time!
Came back to Brighton because this is really where I consider home to be; its the place I know best as I lived here for 20 years before emigrating - came here to Uni and never went back! And my logic was that although its not the cheapest place in the UK, I know it really well, know the good and bad areas, know the pubs and places to go, and it hasn't really changed that much n 20 years. I figured that with all the challenges of moving back, I really didn't want to also be trying to find my feet in a totally new area. I have a huge flat, just over £1k a month, but including heating/hot water, which is a real bonus at present. I felt at home the minute I arrived, and that something I have missed for the last 20 years.

Brisbane's rentals were going insane when I left - one of the final pushes to leave was that my landlord was selling up and he was a lovely old guy charging very cheap rent. The agents were estimating that the unit I was paying $280 a week for, could be increased to $600 a week by a new owner charging market value. Truly insane for what was a very tatty, run down one bed. The pressure on rentals there is just crazy, people are having their rents increased overnight by $200-300 and they pay it because trying to find somewhere else is impossible. I gather Perth is much the same. Food prices have gone through the roof - my food bill doubled in 3 years, and back here I am paying less straight away. Even replacing furniture etc is cheaper.
The one piece of advice I'd give you is to do a lot on online searching and pricing things up before you go. Its not the cheap place we knew years ago, which I think you realise, and I really would look into the costs in detail before committing yourself.

Sadly BE isn't the busy hub it once was, for many reasons, not least of which as you say, fewer people can afford to emigrate now. The early days on here were so much fun, and I have to admit the majority of friends I had in Australia when I left were people I met through BE - and my best mate back here I met the same way. I collected a couple of Aussie friends en route, but literally only a couple. Its almost a different type of friendship, a lot more superficial.
Old Mar 29th 2023, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

As yet, not a single regret, and apart from missing a few friends I don't really anticipate any regrets. All my family are in the UK, and health issues mean its better to be over here with them. Never liked the weather in Brisbane, and so as soon as I could afford to move back, having liberated my super, I was on that plane. Couldn't afford to it until I could get my Super. So far its been stormy weather most days, but also some warmer sunny intervals, just lovely to not be hot all the time!
Came back to Brighton because this is really where I consider home to be; its the place I know best as I lived here for 20 years before emigrating - came here to Uni and never went back! And my logic was that although its not the cheapest place in the UK, I know it really well, know the good and bad areas, know the pubs and places to go, and it hasn't really changed that much n 20 years. I figured that with all the challenges of moving back, I really didn't want to also be trying to find my feet in a totally new area. I have a huge flat, just over £1k a month, but including heating/hot water, which is a real bonus at present. I felt at home the minute I arrived, and that something I have missed for the last 20 years.

Brisbane's rentals were going insane when I left - one of the final pushes to leave was that my landlord was selling up and he was a lovely old guy charging very cheap rent. The agents were estimating that the unit I was paying $280 a week for, could be increased to $600 a week by a new owner charging market value. Truly insane for what was a very tatty, run down one bed. The pressure on rentals there is just crazy, people are having their rents increased overnight by $200-300 and they pay it because trying to find somewhere else is impossible. I gather Perth is much the same. Food prices have gone through the roof - my food bill doubled in 3 years, and back here I am paying less straight away. Even replacing furniture etc is cheaper.
The one piece of advice I'd give you is to do a lot on online searching and pricing things up before you go. Its not the cheap place we knew years ago, which I think you realise, and I really would look into the costs in detail before committing yourself.

Sadly BE isn't the busy hub it once was, for many reasons, not least of which as you say, fewer people can afford to emigrate now. The early days on here were so much fun, and I have to admit the majority of friends I had in Australia when I left were people I met through BE - and my best mate back here I met the same way. I collected a couple of Aussie friends en route, but literally only a couple. Its almost a different type of friendship, a lot more superficial.
Good luck to you Polly, I hope your health holds up and you get to settle in Brighton for the long term. It’s a fantastic place to live, get yourself an old Lambretta, up and down the prom in the summer.
It’s why we were looking at Adelaide, the rents seem not so frothy, but the market is so tight down there as well. Have to admit, it was pricey six or so years back, so god knows what it will be like now.
Just feel like we need to give it one more try, see if it helps the old man’s health?
Well now at least you will be able to watch the Forest live at a normal time of day, summer is coming, and Brighton buzzing over the barmy summer evenings in the coming months. I guess eventually you’ll never feel like you never left Brighton, but at least you lived overseas, experienced Australian life, some never do hey.
Old May 5th 2023, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

A thought, if you left the UK on an Australian passport, then you wanted to return to the UK, how would you stand entering the UK as a UK/Australian citizen on an Australian passport?
Would you be fine entering the UK on an Australian passport, but not holding a UK passport, but you were born in the UK and a UK citizen?
Old May 5th 2023, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

A thought, if you left the UK on an Australian passport, then you wanted to return to the UK, how would you stand entering the UK as a UK/Australian citizen on an Australian passport?
Would you be fine entering the UK on an Australian passport, but not holding a UK passport, but you were born in the UK and a UK citizen?
On any other passport apart from a UK one you enter as a visitor.....if you want to stay longer than 6 months you need to carry your birth certificate, your old passport (if you have one) and be ready to argue the toss.
Old May 5th 2023, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
On any other passport apart from a UK one you enter as a visitor.....if you want to stay longer than 6 months you need to carry your birth certificate, your old passport (if you have one) and be ready to argue the toss.
So do you go through as a citizen,holding your Aus passport and UK birth certificate, or do you go through as an overseas visitor holding your Aus passport and UK birth certificate.
I'm asking because my other half leaves this weekend for a reccie, staying with an old friend, and he has no UK passport for the return trip back to the UK.
Old May 5th 2023, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

So do you go through as a citizen,holding your Aus passport and UK birth certificate, or do you go through as an overseas visitor holding your Aus passport and UK birth certificate.
I'm asking because my other half leaves this weekend for a reccie, staying with an old friend, and he has no UK passport for the return trip back to the UK.

I'm a UK citizen but when entering the UK with my US passport I go through the lines for non UK citizens; your other half will have to do the same.
Old May 5th 2023, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Done it twice. As a British Citizen I went in on Australian as I haven't been bothered renewing. One time I went with wife in British queue who's British passport was still valid, one child with a valid British and another child who's never had a British passport. All good. Explained the story. It's a no issue. Last time we all went through on Australian as they had all lapsed.
Old May 5th 2023, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Leaving the UK on an Australian passport?

Originally Posted by Beoz
Done it twice. As a British Citizen I went in on Australian as I haven't been bothered renewing. One time I went with wife in British queue who's British passport was still valid, one child with a valid British and another child who's never had a British passport. All good. Explained the story. It's a no issue. Last time we all went through on Australian as they had all lapsed.
There's me got my eye on the window cleaner; wondering whether they would let him back in, arhhh wishful thinking.

Cheers Beoz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.