Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving party poll

View Poll Results: Did you have a leaving party?
Yes, and best decision we ever made
57.14%
Yes, and wished hadnt bothered
7.14%
No, couldnt be arsed and pleased with the decision
35.71%
No, and really wish we had
0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Leaving party poll

Old Aug 18th 2005, 10:59 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Leaving party poll

OK, I know it's been discussed before but I couldnt see a poll.

Still undecided on whether to have a leaving party or not.

On the one side I think "Yes, be nice to say goodbye to people"

On the other side I think "Sod them, people cant be arsed to visit us whilst we here, why should we bother with it?"

So, just wondered if people who've been there and done that help with the decision making...
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice
Default Re: Leaving party poll

Originally Posted by bridiej

On the other side I think "Sod them, people cant be arsed to visit us whilst we here, why should we bother with it?"

So, just wondered if people who've been there and done that help with the decision making...
I can't answer your poll as we're not leaving for 14 weeks. However we're not going to have one. I want to spend time saying goodbay to people idividually and not all in one go. Plus I will be upset as it is, if I had to do it in one go I'd be bawling. I think I'm the only person on this forum that doesn't want a fuss My mother calls me the female equivilant of Victor Meldrew
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:32 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

We had one & in the end I'm glad we did,i spent most of the night with my best mate,we probably had our last face to face,heart to heart talk that night.
Only my cousin & aunt turned up from my side & only hubby's dad from his side but it made us realise just how many friends we do have as the hall had over 100 of our friends all there to wish us well & they all went out their way to say a few words,privately & publicly.we were overwhelmed by the comments made that night.

We had the same attitude,if folk cant be arsed,why should we? but it was nice to say final goodbyes,even if it was a shock to others who thought it was just a dream & they'll never do it! two fingers to them i show,we had the last laugh & we're living our dream !!

Have a last get together Bridie,even if its just a meal with a few special people & anyone who's interested can join you for drinks afterwards?

Good luck whatever you decide to do x

Donna.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by pako
I think I'm the only person on this forum that doesn't want a fuss My mother calls me the female equivilant of Victor Meldrew
No, you're not the only one. Must admit, to start with I was all keen to have a party, but what with the cost of it, not sure if we will have time to organise it if our visas come in the next few weeks anyway, plus to be honest get fed up of fair weather friends who never bother to get in touch 99% of the time!

My true friends I'll see individually anyway...... hmmm, tricky one
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:14 pm

any one else like to vote?
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:27 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya hornbag..

We just had a big sunday drink-up at the pub. Didn't really have opportunity to do anything else as we had moved out of the area and was living our last few month in the UK in a totally different county, plus I had miss Pants who was only 5mths old then....but it was good to see everyone who meant so much to me. That was emotional enough..!!!
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

No you can't have one, cos I can't come!

How about an 'Arriving Party' instead with all your Oz friends?

gd
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:32 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

We're not having one. The thoughts of loads of people in a room (family members included) all under the influence of alcohol with mixed emotions on us leaving does not inspire me to the point of funding it basically!!!

We have decided we would rather have some meals with people and quiet drinks with those that we want to as its a much more personal thing to do. I can say the things I want and see the people I want to.

I can see why a party is some people's bag - but for us this suits our circle of friends and family more.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:54 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

My party plans are:

1 for friends
1 for family
If I can get away with a joint one too, I will.

I do like a good ole knees up!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 6:50 am

We're still undecided so next weekend are going to our preferred venue to find out price and availability.

Thanks for your input
Old Aug 19th 2005, 6:58 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't have a leaving party - we went out for a meal with our families over the course of one weekend (my Mum and Step-Dad on Friday, my Dad, Step-Mum, siblings and their better halves on Saturday and Mr GG's parents, siblings and their better halves on Sunday); we'd spent weekends leading up to that one going round the country for weekend visits to friends, saying goodbye. It was tiring - really tiring. But much easier than saying goodbye to everyone all at once, for us. We had an ordinary night out and then 10 minutes of emotional crap at the end of the evening. All our rellies are in Yorkshire and we lived in Oxfordshire, so we did that the weekend before we fly, had a final week at work and then headed off. I turned my mobile off for that whole week (and we were staying in a B&B that I didn't let anyone know the name of). Come to think of it, I was so paranoid about people trying to say goodbye again after we'd moved on, that I refused to even let people know what flight we were heading out on! (We went to the airport on our own.) Just sent a text to my sister to say we'd arrived safely. We're really much more socialble normally, honest!

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Mid-afternoon drinking ...
Old Aug 19th 2005, 7:08 am
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej

Hi Bridie...

We didn't have a leaving party as such, just organised a few nights out..
Told everyone what we were doing, where to meet ect and those who mattered turned up..
Decided against a party mainly because it was money to lay out that we couldn't really afford so the nights out seemed the better option..
Glad we managed to say bye to the people who mattered though...

Hope all goes well for you..