Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

leaving Oz to collect permanent residency

Wikiposts

leaving Oz to collect permanent residency

Old Oct 29th 2002, 10:56 pm
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute
Default leaving Oz to collect permanent residency

Does anyone have recent (post Bali bomb) experience of leaving Oz to 'pick up' permanent visa? We are on a 4 year business visa currently, but because our pr was lodged in the Uk, we have to leave when (if) it comes through. As we live in Perth, work full time and don't have unlimited money our only real options are: Bali, Malaysia, Singapore or Indonesia, not the best of choices is it? Does anyone have any experience of the immigration being lenient with this stupid rule?
Old Oct 30th 2002, 12:38 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I agree seems like a stupid rule - but I have yet to hear of an exception to it.

We are in Sydney hoping (fingers and everything else crossed) we hear soon - application lodged April 2001 London. Asked around work, we were told Auckland NZL and Singapore, which of course are closer to the east coast, but then if you ask some more ......anyway Fiji came up and I have checked Full Consultant 'mission?' we can get a 9/10 day all inclusive trip there for the price of the other two easily (family of four). I am not sure if this is an option from Perth but it is only a shortish flight from Sydney (<3hrs).

I would be interested in opinions on this plan, nothing booked as yet as I do not have a PR offer yet in my grubby mitts!

Singapore flights only from Sydney $1000 return for each of us, but flights to UK - I can get for around $1800, so basically if Fiji or Auckland not on for us I would rather pay the money and visit UK.

Any experienced view out there?

cheers
Old Oct 30th 2002, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

stay or go ? is an unknown quantity at this point

just costed up tickets from Melb to Auck for mid next january to pick up mine. $657 for a 10 day trip.

Singapore came up as a grand, and didnt bother looking anywhere else.

one thing - does australia have a Visa Consulate Section in Vanuatu ? Wouldnt mind combining visa pickup with a few dives on the Coolidge.
Old Oct 30th 2002, 9:40 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by stay or go ?
just costed up tickets from Melb to Auck for mid next january to pick up mine. $657 for a 10 day trip.

Singapore came up as a grand, and didnt bother looking anywhere else.

one thing - does australia have a Visa Consulate Section in Vanuatu ? Wouldnt mind combining visa pickup with a few dives on the Coolidge.
Check this site http://www.dfat.gov.au/missions/

maybe have to check with them direct but looks like you maybe in luck for Vanuata! Stupid question - where is this? How far off collecting your PR visas are you.

Cheers
Old Oct 30th 2002, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

stay or go ? is an unknown quantity at this point

re: how far off collecting: mid to end january. other half not collecting hers, as her company pay her too many tax breaks to give them up at the moment !

re: where is Vanuatu. Closer than the Solomon Islands, same latitude as Brisbane, iirc about a 4 hour flight into Vila. Santo and Port Vila are the major "towns". Its quite a cheap diving holiday destination.

thanks for the link !
Old Oct 30th 2002, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Chelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: leaving Oz to collect permanent residency

Originally posted by Call me AL
Does anyone have recent (post Bali bomb) experience of leaving Oz to 'pick up' permanent visa? We are on a 4 year business visa currently, but because our pr was lodged in the Uk, we have to leave when (if) it comes through. As we live in Perth, work full time and don't have unlimited money our only real options are: Bali, Malaysia, Singapore or Indonesia, not the best of choices is it? Does anyone have any experience of the immigration being lenient with this stupid rule?
Hello AL,

i am new to this forum but am a British expat living with my family in Bali, not sure what it all means about you having to leave Oz, hope its not for a long time, what i can tell you is, it is perfectly safe to come over to Bali, the Australian consulate is located near Sanur, which is about 5 - 6 miles away from Kuta where the incident happened, i live about the same distance away but in the other direction, my daughter lives in the same street where the bomb went off, about a quater of a mile away, it has not entered her mind to move. It is very quiet here now so you would have the pick of places to stay, if you only need to come for a short time, it is ideal as its so cheap here.

cheers Chelle
Old Oct 30th 2002, 10:51 pm
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: leaving Oz to collect permanent residency

Originally posted by Chelle
Hello AL,

i am new to this forum but am a British expat living with my family in Bali, not sure what it all means about you having to leave Oz, hope its not for a long time, what i can tell you is, it is perfectly safe to come over to Bali, the Australian consulate is located near Sanur, which is about 5 - 6 miles away from Kuta where the incident happened, i live about the same distance away but in the other direction, my daughter lives in the same street where the bomb went off, about a quater of a mile away, it has not entered her mind to move. It is very quiet here now so you would have the pick of places to stay, if you only need to come for a short time, it is ideal as its so cheap here.

cheers Chelle
Hi Chelle,
I was more making a point about the stupid ruling which requires us to be out of OZ to collect our PR. I am sure Bali is as safe as anywhere right now, and it will be somewhere I will look at when the time comes. I am glad you're all safe and not about to let them win by moving. I hope people will start visiting again soon, for the sake of all the Balinese.
AL