Shipping Company recommendations

Shipping Company recommendations

Old Oct 30th 2002, 10:41 am
AM
Just Joined

AM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Company recommendations

Hi All,

This is the first time on the list so appols if this has been covered before.

I and my wife are moving to NZ in Jan and are currently looking into shipping companies.

We have had two companies in to look at our house. These are Britannia and PSS. I have some questions that you may be able to help with...

a) Has anyone used these companies ?
b) Are they good, bad or just plain indifferent ?
c) It looks like we'll need a reefer and have been quoted ~ £2700, is this a reasonable quote ?

Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers,

Al

Last edited by AM; Nov 1st 2002 at 9:08 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2002, 11:05 am
JPW
Forum Regular

JPW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping Company recommendations

Hi Al,

Where are you guys moving to - have you work lined up - can you tell us more about your story?

There have been a lot of posts on here in the past re shipping - if you do a search I'm sure you'll get some useful asnwers (you may have to look in the aussie section though).

I saved this one in my favourites and picked it up off someone in here - they recommended it but i've not used them yet so i cant comment - however the website does have a very useful system for calculating the costs which is defiitely worth a look. : http://www.johnmason.com/int_home.html

Good luck!
J
Old Oct 30th 2002, 8:39 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

We have just used PSS to ship our stuff to NZ.

It is still in transit, so I can only give our impression of them from this end at the moment, but so far so good.
We were quoted £2691.00 for a reefer container which was the cheapest closely followed by (from memory) Pickfords, Whites then Anglo Pacific in that order. We found them to be very helpfull, even accomodating our request to include my husbands motorbike in the container at the 11th hour. Very impressed with the packing and loading of the container, by 2 very hard working young guys. Who took great care with my husbands pride and joy as he anxiously looked on. All done and dusted in 2 days. Container was sent on its merry way on 22/10 and is expected in Christchurch on 9/12, the full story can only be told then but wouldn't hesitate to recommend them so far.

Hope this has been of help

Paula
Old Oct 30th 2002, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

kiwis can fly is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

hello

I work for a freight forwarder here in Christchurch, and a work of warning re clearing personal effects - for removal companies - clearing personal effects thru customs and MAF is a license to print money.

If you want to say money do it your self - you will need a list of
all items. Maf (agriculture) will be interested in any tools, footwear, tents which have been in contact with dirt or agriculture stuff. They will also be interested in you vacuum cleaner if you have not emptied it.
Customs and Maf are both out at the air port so go to Maf first and then customs. This will save you time.

cheers
Old Oct 31st 2002, 11:14 am
maryam

Originally posted by JPW
Hi Al,

Where are you guys moving to - have you work lined up - can you tell us more about your story?

There have been a lot of posts on here in the past re shipping - if you do a search I'm sure you'll get some useful asnwers (you may have to look in the aussie section though).

I saved this one in my favourites and picked it up off someone in here - they recommended it but i've not used them yet so i cant comment - however the website does have a very useful system for calculating the costs which is defiitely worth a look. : http://www.johnmason.com/int_home.html

Good luck!
J