Reload this Page >

leaving everything behind

leaving everything behind

Old Oct 13th 2003, 1:06 pm
arg
Forum Regular

arg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default leaving everything behind

A lot of postings seem to be about what to/not to ship. Are there many of you who have left for Oz with just a suitcase of clothes?

We intend to do just that and leave all our clutter behind (furniture, pc, tv, playstation (working on the kids to do that) and start over once we arrive. Anyone with experiences of this they would like to share, good or bad don't hold back.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 1:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think you might find it easier said than done - especially with kids. A lot of stuff you can get rid of, its the perfect chance for a new start. But its when you actually start looking at things like favourite books and CDs, and all those personal things that everyone accumulates. I've even got mugs that have sentimental value!( I know, thats really sad!)
If you can do it, congrats; I know I couldn't!
Old Oct 13th 2003, 1:23 pm
arg
Forum Regular

arg is an unknown quantity at this point

I just can't get my head round dragging a load of MFI/Ikea type furniture half way round the world.

Maybe you've got a point re CDs, books etc. Maybe we should start sorting the "can and can't live without" personal stuff to see if we can condense the latter to fit a pallet.

Mind you Ive heard a horror story about ships captains being able to ditch containers overboard if they believe the ship to be in trouble. I wouldn't like to think i've taken all that care wrapping and packing for either the crew to pillage my stuff or the captain to take a dislike to the container it's being transported in.

A tricky dilema.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

Barron is an unknown quantity at this point

we have had a good sort out but could never settle without personal bits and pieces .Also have promised our kids that they can take everything and redeocrate own bedrooms gives them some order

Regards Sally
Old Oct 13th 2003, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Enzo&Chloe is an unknown quantity at this point

ships do lose containers overboard. The rubber ducks that loated around the sea for years, were from a container that was washed overboard.

Captains can also jetterson cargo to save the ship. After all it's not worth it all going down , and the crew drowning, for the sake of a few containers.

If however your goods are washed/pushed overboard, you do get the insurance money
Old Oct 13th 2003, 1:46 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by arg
I just can't get my head round dragging a load of MFI/Ikea type furniture half way round the world.

Maybe you've got a point re CDs, books etc. Maybe we should start sorting the "can and can't live without" personal stuff to see if we can condense the latter to fit a pallet.

Mind you Ive heard a horror story about ships captains being able to ditch containers overboard if they believe the ship to be in trouble. I wouldn't like to think i've taken all that care wrapping and packing for either the crew to pillage my stuff or the captain to take a dislike to the container it's being transported in.

A tricky dilema.

Maybe go without the furniture, but I am sure there will be loads of things that you will not be able to ditch when the crunch comes. And it will probably be nice to see a few familiar things in your new house. Also what about the cost of replacing absolutely everything, that will be a fortune and will really eat into the cash you take with you.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

We planned on doing the same thing, but after assessing just how much time and money it would cost us, and reading what every one else had to say about regretting that they didn't take more stuff with them, we decided that we would take as much as we can.
Removals in today. PSS. Recommend so far. Glad we made this decision in the end.

Whisky
Old Oct 13th 2003, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Fuzzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: leaving everything behind

Hi arg

We're doing the exact same thing, going to a few car boot sales, friends and family want some stuff too. Like you say, i can't really see the point of hauling all your home contents halfway across the world.
The family and i want a totally fresh start when we get over there and to furnish your home the exact same way would kind of defy the point.
You also get a decent amount of baggage allowance to take a few bits and pieces anyhow, maybe some cd's, videos, photo albums, books, kids toys and obviously clothes.
As long as i have the basics to start with ie, fridge, cooker, bed sofa, etc, then i would be more than happy to build on that over time and impliment a more ozzie feeling to my home.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: leaving everything behind

When we moved from OZ to USA we got rid of everything, just walked out with a couple of suitcases. Mind you we had 50 odd boxes (containing kitchen ware, TV's, Computers, Bedding and personal belongings) in storage in another country and had no choice but to ship them over (cost a fortune just for those). We got here and bought all new furniture. It's nice to have all new stuff. When you weigh up the cost of shipping as to buying new (and see what you can get for your current goods).l It will probably work out cheaper to get rid of it all and start fresh.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

The hassle of having to buy everything over again has persuaded me to take every decent thing we have got.

Cost wise people have said it saves money if you take things with you as well. If your furniture is not worth taking then just pack a few boxes of personal things- excess baggage charge around £30 per tea chest if you send more than 10.

Last edited by tinaj; Oct 13th 2003 at 9:09 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

We brought a full container and are pleased we did. You get sod all for things when you sell them and the replacement cost is high when you probably need the money for other things. There are a few things we did leave which we now regret.

Your bits and pieces are your history, you chose them they are a part of you, who you are. To just get rid of it will probably result in regrets later on.

You are who you are, and all your chattels define you as an individual. Moving to the other side of the world does not change that.

Rob
Old Oct 13th 2003, 7:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Very true Rob. And while I'm for starting a new life there are bound to be those moments when you want to relive parts of your old life, or when you just yearn for the comfort of how things used to be. The familiar things around you will make Australia seem less "strange".
Old Oct 13th 2003, 7:50 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We've just shipped 6 large boxes of tools and 4 tea chest sized boxes of other stuff photos,cd's, dvd's and the entire kitchen contents[well looked like it to me]
Sean
Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

[We bought only personal things, but once we arrived had to spend valuable holiday time shopping for boring but neccesary items like tin openers and spoons !
It got realy boring once the novelty of shopping for new stuff had worn off ( and expensive ) so we would bring it all if we had the choice again
Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It got realy boring once the novelty of shopping for new stuff had worn off ( and expensive ) so we would bring it all if we had the choice again [/QUOTE]

I can empathise with this- when you are looking for treats shopping is fun but when you have to kit out your whole house from scratch it must be a real chore.

Also as I am a bit of a bargain hunter it will take me a while to find out which shops are the cheapest!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.