Reload this Page >

Leaving with debt.

Leaving with debt.

Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:35 am
Just Joined

Kangaroorick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Leaving with debt.

Originally Posted by dotnron
Exactly what we're doing from Canada. We have an open line of credit with our bank here, which is affiliated with Anzac bank in Oz. We intend to continue making regular monthly payments for the next year until it is paid off by depositing through Anzac into our Canadian bank. Bank of Montreal has kindly agreed to this arrangement. Talk to your banker and let them know of your plans. It is really a very small world as far as banking goes. I mean who would have thought that the Bank of Australia and New Zealand would be affiliated with the Bank of Montreal?????
Yer, but did you know YORKSHIRE bank is part of National Australia Bank.......balmy innit!!!!!!!, Flat caps and BBQ's at the staff party
Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:40 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by belleandscone
Hi dave, there have been many posts debating this, some say there is no agreement yet, but it's in the pipeline. Loads of people have left debt and never been chased up, others say they have heard of people being caught (the main thing there is "heard"!!, everyones heard stories!). So really it's up to you, if you have the money to clear the debts then do it as you dont want to look over your shoulder, or dont if you really can't afford to, really it's down to your own concience and your friends concience.

Good luck anyway with your move abroad and do a search on debt here and youl'll find loads.

Clairex

I agree with claire, having had the unfortunate experience of having a business that went under, its a great, free, up feeling when its over and yor walking free of debt, i think if you left with it, it would always be at the back of your mind nagging you.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 3:07 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
I agree with claire, having had the unfortunate experience of having a business that went under, its a great, free, up feeling when its over and yor walking free of debt, i think if you left with it, it would always be at the back of your mind nagging you.
When I went out to Oz the second time I left behind a UK overdraft. It was NO FUN eventually trying to pay it off in Oz with the excahnge rate meaning I had almost three times as much to pay back!!!! I crippled myself trying to clear it AND keep everything together out there.
Honestly hun, clear ALL your debts in the UK, don't take any of it with you to Oz and then your free to start a new life out there without any nagging worries or concience spoiling things for you.Things like debt have a shitty habit of catching up with you and following you, no matter how far away you move!

*pearly*
Old Jun 8th 2006, 5:56 am
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Yep

Persons found to be of dubious character can have their visa cancelled

http://www.immi.gov.au/faq/general/general06.htm

G
the holder fails the character test, for example:
when the person has a substantial criminal record ; or
when the person either has, or has had, an association with an individual, group or organisation suspected of having been, or being, involved in criminal conduct; or
when, having regard to the person's past and present criminal / general conduct, the person is found not to be of good character;

I would pay them personally.....

But the above does not represent someone not paying off a credit card !

Get an agreement to pay of a small amount each month and continue it...

Or offer them a full and final settlement when you sell your house..
If you think about it you will have no assets and leaving the country, they would rather take £2000 for a £10000 balance than have you pay £5 a month for 40 years !

They cannot take what you havent got !

Nick
Old Jun 8th 2006, 7:53 am
yeah but no but

glennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nick72
the holder fails the character test, for example:
when the person has a substantial criminal record ; or
when the person either has, or has had, an association with an individual, group or organisation suspected of having been, or being, involved in criminal conduct; or
when, having regard to the person's past and present criminal / general conduct, the person is found not to be of good character;

I would pay them personally.....

But the above does not represent someone not paying off a credit card !

Get an agreement to pay of a small amount each month and continue it...

Or offer them a full and final settlement when you sell your house..
If you think about it you will have no assets and leaving the country, they would rather take £2000 for a £10000 balance than have you pay £5 a month for 40 years !

They cannot take what you havent got !

Nick
This is exactly what we plan to do - done it before with Barclays - we ran up an £4500 overdraft a few years ago when they chased it we said we could only raise £1900 which they accepted.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 8:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It is a good idea to keep your UK bank account open, even if you keep a small amount in it. If you ever want to return to the UK it will help with your credit rating.

What if you are taken to court and a judgement is made against you in your absence? What if you are arrested when you next step foot on British soil? What if your elderly parents are harassed by debt collectors? What if your so called friends are not exactly telling you the truth about their debts? What if you can't settle and want to go home?
Old Jun 8th 2006, 8:59 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It is a good idea to keep your UK bank account open, even if you keep a small amount in it. If you ever want to return to the UK it will help with your credit rating.

What if you are taken to court and a judgement is made against you in your absence? What if you are arrested when you next step foot on British soil? What if your elderly parents are harassed by debt collectors? What if your so called friends are not exactly telling you the truth about their debts? What if you can't settle and want to go home?
dont know whether a CCJ can be made against you in your absence ?
Old Jun 8th 2006, 11:36 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

well 2 things:

firstly - if you do come back (dont settle or have to relocate) your credit back here will be horrendous, you'll have CCJ's, you wont be able to do or get ANYTHING!

second - my oh went to Saudi to work years back (they have no reciprocal agreement with agencies to the UK) and he was hounded down by the inland revenue for unpaid tax. They didnt let up for 3 years!!

Personally, I wouldnt leave the debt - it may come and bite you in the ass BIG TIME!
Old Jun 8th 2006, 11:44 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

What happens if it does'nt work out for you in OZ, you get homesick and can't go back to the UK because you can't afford to repay your debts which have since multiplied because they have charged high amounts of interest or fees for late payment on them, or you will be arrested if you set foot back in the UK so you can't vist relatives.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 12:23 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

To a certain extent your very correct BUT, as you mentioned that you take on debtwith a promise to pay it off, this can work in 2 ways like you take on debt so that they can rip you off.

29.9% APR ? 31.3%APR I got one of the usual crap ( guaranteed credit card) through the post. Give us £200 to open an imediate account with no security check with the promise of a excellent APR of only........ ONLY 49.9% :scared:

Then again, maybe they are trying to pull back all the bebt from the expats who have jumped on the plane to Paradise wearing the rose tinted glasses and making us decent ppl pay for it.

just my % worth

Originally Posted by Kangaroorick
I wouldnt know for sure if there is any credit agreements between UK and Oz collection agents and so on, but I dont rekon it's a gd idea to leave debt here, after all, you take on the debt with a promise to pay it off.

What im hoping to do is be upfront with my bank about my moving to Aus and my personal loan, tell them im unable/unwilling to pay it off in whole and would like to continue regular payments as agreed, that way I stay sweet with the bank and dont have to spend a chunk of my house sale in one go, leaving me more money to emmigrate.........got to think, things might go tits up in Aus, it would be bad enough coming back to the UK without having all that debt and interest
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

paka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant future

here is wot we have found out,debt does not follow you . if you owe in UK it can not be transfered to oz. once in oz your credit reference will start again.if you return to the u.k within a long period it will have been wiped clean .the decision is yours.can you guarantee yourself that you will be gone for along period.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paka
here is wot we have found out,debt does not follow you . if you owe in UK it can not be transfered to oz. once in oz your credit reference will start again.if you return to the u.k within a long period it will have been wiped clean .the decision is yours.can you guarantee yourself that you will be gone for along period.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

paka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
and
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:24 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
Don't do it! Ignore what your ['allegedly] 'thieving' friends say and pay it all back.

In an ever shrinking world - it's just not worth risking it.

Besides - there are so many who decide to return after a short time. You could be one of them and your ability to obtain credit in the future would seriously be questioned.
Well said Marco.

Its no use starting a new life in a new country without sorting out problems that could pop up again in the new country.

By paying off your debt you are in control of your own destiny. We have friends who ran away from their debts (school fees running into 10's of 000's) but they have never managed to get ahead even with high incomes. Their mindset is always too short term.

Personally I'd rather shout a beer to someone down to their last "honest" $ than endure the company of high rolla with a shifty past.

Kiwi
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:29 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
or you will be arrested if you set foot back in the UK so you can't vist relatives.
Not repaying unsecured debt is not a crime in the UK so therefore you could not be arrested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.