What does this mean?

I keep seeing it in job adverts!!!

Thanks

Chris
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:02 pm
Prodigal Daughter

rachelw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Leave Loading - 17.5%

I am not sure if I am 100% correct as has been some time since I lived there, but from memory, you get this increase in salary when you go on holiday. I guess the theory is that you spend more money whilst you are on holiday and so are compensated for that. Fantastic hey!

I can check with family in Brisbane if you want the specifics ie not sure if it works on daily rate/weekly etc

Hope that helps...

Rachel
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:09 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by rachelw
I am not sure if I am 100% correct as has been some time since I lived there, but from memory, you get this increase in salary when you go on holiday. I guess the theory is that you spend more money whilst you are on holiday and so are compensated for that. Fantastic hey!

I can check with family in Brisbane if you want the specifics ie not sure if it works on daily rate/weekly etc

Hope that helps...

Rachel
From memory it is something to do with whether you are paid at an Award Rate (or it was in NSW), this is more the office type or manual work. Yes they give you this to go on holiday with on top of holiday pay.

I could be completely wrong on this though . . any offers???

I have only had it once in job, the rest of the time I was told I was being paid over award rates! Mind not that darn much over the award rates.

M

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:11 pm
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough

sorry to be thick...but what's an "award rate"???

Originally Posted by Merlot
From memory it is something to do with whether you are paid at an Award Rate (or it was in NSW), this is more the office type or manual work. Yes they give you this to go on holiday with on top of holiday pay.

I have only had it once in job, the rest of the time I was told I was being paid over award rates! Mind not that darn much over the award rates.

M
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:21 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cagandchris
Set rates for certain professions as negotiated by the unions with the state governments.

Mrs BP gets leave loading. Just a bit more pay whilst on holiday.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:25 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cagandchris
G'mornin' C&C!

Award rates are minimum wages payable by law. They are state governed (or Federally governed for Federal Govt employees) and categorised for various different areas of work. See Qld Govt Wageline.

The 17.5% leave loading is something which is paid on top of the normal wage and added to the normal wage whilst on leave. Under award conditions it is compulsory, otherwise it's negotiable between the employer and employee. It was originally brought in to compensate shift workers for their lost shift allowances (eg. being paid time and a half for night work), then was set in concrete by the govt for all basic wage earners. The site I've given above should clarify, but that's the short version!

C.

PS Hope you got my last PM. Heard from Myles yet?

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:57 pm
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough

Thanks folks!

Hi Chris
Thanks for this!
Yes got your message - I've emailed you!
Carole

Originally Posted by ProofReader
G'mornin' C&C!

Award rates are minimum wages payable by law. They are state governed (or Federally governed for Federal Govt employees) and categorised for various different areas of work. See Qld Govt Wageline.

The 17.5% leave loading is something which is paid on top of the normal wage and added to the normal wage whilst on leave. Under award conditions it is compulsory, otherwise it's negotiable between the employer and employee. It was originally brought in to compensate shift workers for their lost shift allowances (eg. being paid time and a half for night work), then was set in concrete by the govt for all basic wage earners. The site I've given above should clarify, but that's the short version!

C.

PS Hope you got my last PM. Heard from Myles yet?

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:08 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelw

Hope that helps...

Rachel
Pretty much correct, although it is for wages. If you are on salary it is already factored in and you will receive the same amount each week/fortnight/month (depending on pay cycle) you are on holidays as you get when you are not. L/L not applicable for self-employed people, as the business pays you what amounts to a salary. So check around and compare the salary paid to the weekly award rates available from the state Industrial Relations office.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:13 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot

M
Sounds like you were on salary. Even if you are paid over-award rates on wages, you are still entiled to your leave loading, plus any overtime rates applicable. On that, even on a a salary you can still negotiate overtime payment rates for work that takes over a certain amount of extra time. Usually set at a flat rate.

Suggest you check with Industrial Relations Commission or your union and see if they can help. You don't have to be in a union to get help from IR.

Sorry Merlot, forgot you were back in the UK, but I'll leave this for general info so it may help others.

Cheers.

Last edited by The Bloke; Feb 3rd 2005 at 8:19 pm.