Leasing cars

Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

scrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the rough
Default Leasing cars

I know it does not make economic sense to a lot of people but I would just like to get some information on leasing vehicles as I have a large family, and with the price of vehicles I might have to go down this route to start with as finances are going to be very tight although I do have a job to go to.

Does anybody have experience with this and what is involved?
Thanks
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Leasing cars

Would be interested to know the answer to this one myself.

Donna.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 12:01 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, have a quick search for "novated lease" and you should find some recent discussions.

If you can do this, you pay out of pre-tax salary which saves you quite a few bucks in income tax, as well as other savings.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Hi, have a quick search for "novated lease" and you should find some recent discussions.

If you can do this, you pay out of pre-tax salary which saves you quite a few bucks in income tax, as well as other savings.
Can someone can enlighten me how this works?

Example, I looked at a car worth $65,000 - dealer said no deposit personal loan with a balloon payment would cost me $1,100 per month. A novated lease would cost me $2000 a month but this would be taken pre-tax. I really can't see the point of leasing for a private individual.

And apparently to save money on leasing you have to do a large amount of kilometres.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:43 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Can someone can enlighten me how this works?

Example, I looked at a car worth $65,000 - dealer said no deposit personal loan with a balloon payment would cost me $1,100 per month. A novated lease would cost me $2000 a month but this would be taken pre-tax. I really can't see the point of leasing for a private individual.

And apparently to save money on leasing you have to do a large amount of kilometres.
When you lease the payment is everything included. Car, insurance, rego, petrol, servicing, tyres etc
Old Dec 7th 2008, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
When you lease the payment is everything included. Car, insurance, rego, petrol, servicing, tyres etc
Petrol included?
Old Dec 7th 2008, 9:58 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly in our case, yes, as we have a fuel card. Therefore all of the above paid for out of pre-tax salary AND excluding GST IIRC.

(Obviously they have to make some adjustments now and then based on actual costs.)
Old Dec 7th 2008, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly in our case, yes, as we have a fuel card. Therefore all of the above paid for out of pre-tax salary AND excluding GST IIRC.

(Obviously they have to make some adjustments now and then based on actual costs.)
Thanks SS. Very good.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 10:12 pm
Auntie Fa

HOWEVER you do have to do a certain mileage pa or the tax man gets vicious. Not sure of the exact details but if somebody more knowledgeable doesn't chip in I will endeavour to look up the paperwork.

I do know The Geek drove to Canberra on business last week, at his own expense, to put a few miles on the clock.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I used to lease a car as an individual and it was definitely worthwhile in my situation.

I worked from home then and the bulk of my car trips were quite legitimately work-related. I was able to claim a personal tax deduction for the work-related proportion of car-use - and this included all car costs (lease payments, petrol, insurance, repairs, servicing - the lot). This was all done via a finance lease.

I could have had a novated lease though my (own) company but I didn't want to have to satisfy the minimum mileage requirements, didn't want the FBT implications etc. It was much more straightforward for me to lease the car as an individual.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:51 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

HOWEVER you do have to do a certain mileage pa or the tax man gets vicious. Not sure of the exact details but if somebody more knowledgeable doesn't chip in I will endeavour to look up the paperwork.
The highest tax rate is if you drvie less than 15,000km per annum and is 26%. That is Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) and is in place of the fact that you pay no income tax. Many will be on a 30% marginal income tax rate so replacing that with 26% is a saving. IF you do more than 15,000Km the rate drops to 20% and lower still for higher mileage.

Other costs like petrol, maintenance, rego and insurance are subject to neither income tax nor to FBT and are therefore tax free.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:53 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

To be clear, novated leases do not have minimum mileage requirements and any FBT you pay is likely to be less than the income tax you would otherwise have paid.

Originally Posted by NickyC

I could have had a novated lease though my (own) company but I didn't want to have to satisfy the minimum mileage requirements, didn't want the FBT implications etc. It was much more straightforward for me to lease the car as an individual.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:54 pm
Auntie Fa

Thanks, jayr.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

thlo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scrappyhappy8
I know it does not make economic sense to a lot of people but I would just like to get some information on leasing vehicles as I have a large family, and with the price of vehicles I might have to go down this route to start with as finances are going to be very tight although I do have a job to go to.

Does anybody have experience with this and what is involved?
Thanks
I recently assisted a doctor with finance on his new vehicle and he had to think hard about whether to go for a consumer loan or a novated lease.

His employer being NSW Health only allowed him a fully serviced lease which meant he had to spend a minimum fixed amount every month regardless of how much he would use the car. Simple maths showed him that a consumer loan would save him thousands compared to the maintained lease (even with tax savings).
Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of

Here is the company I use, I do 25,000kms a year and am saving a huge amount of money compared to financing myself. My company also gets a fleet discount which is good.

http://www.sgfleet.com.au/

Here is a calculator on there site you can use.

http://www.sgfleet.com.au/Calculator...Calculator.asp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.