Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Learning to sail Sydney or the UK?

Learning to sail Sydney or the UK?

Old Aug 25th 2008, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

AberJazz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learning to sail Sydney or the UK?

Hello

We are thinking about learning to sail and we are heading back to Sydney in October does anybody know if its more cost effective to do a RYA Day Skippers Certificate in the UK or if its cheaper to do it in and around Sydney?

Many thanks

AberJazz
Old Aug 25th 2008, 8:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning to sail Sydney or the UK?

Originally Posted by AberJazz
Hello

We are thinking about learning to sail and we are heading back to Sydney in October does anybody know if its more cost effective to do a RYA Day Skippers Certificate in the UK or if its cheaper to do it in and around Sydney?

Many thanks

AberJazz
Be much nicer and warmer to do it in Sydney
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:11 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Course Duration: 50 hours

Study mode: Part time evening

Start date: Oct-08

Course Qualification: Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Certificate (Shorebased)

Course Venue: Safeena Sailing , Greater London, SE22 9LG

Awarding body: Royal Yachting Association

Timetable
22 Evenings of 2 hour sessions, and 1 Saturday session for 6 hours

Course Fees
£ 250
Support for physical disabilities
Support for hearing impairment

Venue Description
Shorebased courses take place at Alleynes School Townley road SE22.

Course Venue
Safeena Sailing
35 Landcroft Road
East Dulwich
Southwark
Greater London
SE22 9LG
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:12 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney

C8 - Coastal Skipper

Book Online

This is a four-day passage cruise on our larger Yacht. We will experience overnight watches and will sail along the coast working through navigation exercises and skippering decisions. Emphasis is on passage planning and navigation. Decisions on difficult and sometimes dangerous port entries will seem like a breeze after this weekend, and you will be much more confident of your abilities in a variety of conditions at sea.

» Click here for our Coastal Skipper Story (pdf version)

C8 - Coastal Skipper
$ 925.00

I hope that gives you some idea
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

AberJazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks

Will check out these guys once I get back to Sydney

AberJazz
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

nimnoms is an unknown quantity at this point

I did RYA Comp. Crew and Day Skipper in Brisbane (Southern Cross Sailing School). Very good tuition and wonderful sailing weather on Moreton Bay. In Sydney check out Eastsail who also teach using the RYA syllabus (http://www.eastsail.com.au/). A five day course costs $1275
Old Aug 27th 2008, 12:12 am
k76
Forum Regular

k76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nice

Forking out for a course isn't the only option.

If you are keen to learn and willing to commit to sail once a week there are always boats looking for crew for the weekend races.

If you don't mind getting wet the best option is buying a dinghy. There is absolutely no better way to learn the physics of sailing. If you are ever to venture offshore in a cruising yacht , then definitely do a course later on to learn about seamanship etc. There are plenty of stable boats suitable for either one or two persons, if you aren't picky this won't cost a lot at all. And you will have an absolutely ball doing it weekend after weekend year round if you please. The water never gets really cold here, a lot of the locals don't even wear a wetsuit in the winter.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

hi

sorry to hijack, but my daughter has just started sailing here at Linlithgow Loch, we're moving to Brisbane/Gold Coast in the next few months and I was hoping someone could recommend a sailing school in the area?

It might earn me some much needed brownie points with a moody pre-teen!

Lindsay x
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:37 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by k76
Forking out for a course isn't the only option.

If you are keen to learn and willing to commit to sail once a week there are always boats looking for crew for the weekend races.

If you don't mind getting wet the best option is buying a dinghy. There is absolutely no better way to learn the physics of sailing. If you are ever to venture offshore in a cruising yacht , then definitely do a course later on to learn about seamanship etc. There are plenty of stable boats suitable for either one or two persons, if you aren't picky this won't cost a lot at all. And you will have an absolutely ball doing it weekend after weekend year round if you please. The water never gets really cold here, a lot of the locals don't even wear a wetsuit in the winter.

I'd agree 100% with that, I cut my teeth on Mirror Dinghy's as a very small child. My dad had a yacht from when I was about 3 years old. I alternated between dinghy racing[Albacores] & yacht racing throughout my teens. As a 16 yr old I was crewing fast racing yachts as fore deck crew. There's nothing quite like a fast run downwind with the spinnaker poled out.
Dad always had slower cruising yachts, I was more into the J24's & the faster racing yachts.
I did a basic RYA inshore in my early teens, never got around to the Yachmasters or Oceanmasters. Both are excellent courses though.