Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

League tables in schools Australia????

League tables in schools Australia????

Old Aug 14th 2005, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

cooperman is on a distinguished road
Default League tables in schools Australia????

Do they have a system in Oz where the schools are rated so that you can see there performances from the pupils and the schools? This is so we could perhaps find some GOOD schools before we Emigrate too Brisbane or thereabouts. Any replies more than welcome,Cooperman and family.ps our kids will be 4 and 6 years old
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:00 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: League tables in schools Australia????

No league tables for Qld schools - sorry!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:27 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

2003 School Sport Australia Triathlon Championships
Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:28 am
ABCDiamond

Nothing has really been available to help compare schools against each other, but this may be getting better.

QLD schools are about to begin (2005/2006) changing the sytem as far as School Performance Reporting goes: http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/reporting/

New era in school reporting to assist parents and students
After listening to the views of school communities and others around the state, the Queensland Government has decided to make important changes to the way school and student performance is reported to parents.

These changes will ensure Queensland parents receive the information they need to help their children throughout their schooling and make informed choices about schools.

Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:36 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cooperman
Do they have a system in Oz where the schools are rated so that you can see there performances from the pupils and the schools? This is so we could perhaps find some GOOD schools before we Emigrate too Brisbane or thereabouts. Any replies more than welcome,Cooperman and family.ps our kids will be 4 and 6 years old
I wish there were school league tables, it's not that far advanced here.

My 7 year old watches films at school, and her teacher spells occasionally as occassionally, and jewellery as jewllellery, so I'm beginning to wonder what they teach at school. She also comes home with at least one award everyday for things like having a healthy packed lunch!
Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kendodd

My 7 year old watches films at school, and her teacher spells occasionally as occassionally, and jewellery as jewllellery, so I'm beginning to wonder what they teach at school. She also comes home with at least one award everyday for things like having a healthy packed lunch!
Where is that school, so we all know where to avoid

That isn't good, and i'm glad ours haven't been like that. Although I wasn't very happy with one school, due to an individual teacher I think, and we moved schools as soon as I noticed a problem.

Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:04 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Reward for properly packed lunch at 7yrs old = rewarding personal responsibility... Hmm I dont think thats bad. Reinforce good behaviour etc.

Spelling - hell take a trawl through this website , there are plenty of people who cannot spell for toffee/taffee/tawfee/towfu/tofu

I think they have it slightly differently here - they'd be pleased a child can have a go at spelling jewellery and write it correctly, then correct the spelling later in life.

It ramps up as they get older my 8yr old just did a 10 minutes presentation to 28 children in the class on her project on venenes (yes I spelt that correctly) - they all had to do this. I cant remember ever having to do that at school and I do it 4-5 times a week now at work (not to kids ;-) ). Just drawing a parrallel between useful life skills and learning the PH value of chemical element number 4 and its position in the table.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kendodd
It's not for want of trying. Most parents and Private School principals would LOVE to have league tables.

In NSW, it's the Teacher's Union who are stopping them. They refuse to administer tests if they're to be used in compiling league tables. Their official reason is that testing does not adequately measure the 'value' that schools provide - more cynical people believe they don't want to be accountable in any way for the schools that will inevitably be at the bottom of the league.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

cooperman is on a distinguished road

Many thanks for all your replies,they have been a great help and I suppose the only way is to talk to the locals to find out the best schools and where their kids went.regards Cooperman
Old Aug 15th 2005, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

annajw has a spectacular aura aboutannajw has a spectacular aura aboutannajw has a spectacular aura about

Hi There

There is another way to monitor the performace of schools. You can do this by looking at their aggregated results for each year. For instance, Victorian Schools all publish their VCE results yearly. This is a good indictor of how the school rates academically. There is a link here:

http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/stati...ats/index.html

I am quite sure that other states publish this information as well. It just takes a little research online.

Regards,
Anna