Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In-laws arrive today - what can I do to keep them out of the way for two weeks?

In-laws arrive today - what can I do to keep them out of the way for two weeks?

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 11:17 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default In-laws arrive today - what can I do to keep them out of the way for two weeks?

My partner's ma and pa arrive this evening for England for a two week stay with us in Sydney before they move off to visit his brother and family.

They have been to Sydney twice before, so have done much of the tourist things already. They haven't been to the Blue Mountains, so we are sending them off there for a while. We are also taking them to Canberra (because there will be lots there to keep them busy and we've not been ourselves).

So what's left? Partner wants to take them on the ferry thing up to Parramatta, but I've never had a burning desire to vist there. I'd like them to get a real taste of NSW but have to admit I've not explored outside of Sydney myself much. Hunter Valley is off the agenda too, because partner has planned a special treat there for my birthday after they've gone.

If the weather is nice, we hope to take them to Mardi Gras (I'm sure they'll love it, do 'em good to see something they wouldn't see in their Home Counties suburbia )

Are there any 'bush' towns or country outposts to recommend? Does anyone have any gems that are off the usual tourist trail?

I have to keep them busy...and then they will be too tired in the evening to nag us about going home to England/having children/me getting a permanent job!
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 11:21 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: In-laws arrive today - what can I do to keep them out of the way for two weeks?

Hiya chels,
you are luckey, my mother in law came for just under 3 months :scared:

Remember they could stay longer :scared:

Bye
Mark
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 11:26 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: In-laws arrive today - what can I do to keep them out of the way for two weeks?

Originally Posted by chels
My partner's ma and pa arrive this evening for England for a two week stay with us in Sydney before they move off to visit his brother and family.

They have been to Sydney twice before, so have done much of the tourist things already. They haven't been to the Blue Mountains, so we are sending them off there for a while. We are also taking them to Canberra (because there will be lots there to keep them busy and we've not been ourselves).

So what's left? Partner wants to take them on the ferry thing up to Parramatta, but I've never had a burning desire to vist there. I'd like them to get a real taste of NSW but have to admit I've not explored outside of Sydney myself much. Hunter Valley is off the agenda too, because partner has planned a special treat there for my birthday after they've gone.

If the weather is nice, we hope to take them to Mardi Gras (I'm sure they'll love it, do 'em good to see something they wouldn't see in their Home Counties suburbia )

Are there any 'bush' towns or country outposts to recommend? Does anyone have any gems that are off the usual tourist trail?

I have to keep them busy...and then they will be too tired in the evening to nag us about going home to England/having children/me getting a permanent job!
You could subscribe them to this....it's local

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287636

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 11:26 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya chels,
you are luckey, my mother in law came for just under 3 months :scared:

Remember they could stay longer :scared:

Bye
Mark
They're thinking about moving out here permanently - then these two weeks stays will just be a happy memory :scared:

And they're lovely really...when there's 12,000 miles between us
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Koza is on a distinguished road

to nag us about going home to England/having children/me getting a permanent job!

Exactly!
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough

My mum arrives Sunday for 2 months. I'm terrified.
But that aside have you been to Jervis Bay - its a gorgeous place not too far from sydney on the coastal route to melbourne. Going the other way how about Port Stevens/Nelson Bay - lovely seaside places.
Best of luck.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I've heard Macquarie Fields is lovely this time of year.

You can barbie outdoors most evenings, and there's usually a cabaret or something thrown in.

Transport can be unreliable.

It is of course BYO
Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:13 am
blossom

Berrima is a very nice old town with gaol, old homes etc. Foxground, in fact lots of old places on the southern highlands, then you can go down to the coast via Macquarie Pass (beautiful dirive), and on down the coast to Kiama, Jervis Bay etc. Lots to see and do that way. Kiama is beautiful with the famous 'Blow Hole'.

You'll be surprised how pretty everything is once you get yourself outside of Sydney.

Blossom

Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:12 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

show them this thread, that should keep them oot the way
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Superior
Sure they can. If they don't mind being classed as illegal immigrants and chucked in to a detention centre.
You really are a div sometimes. He meant OP's in-laws coming for 2 weeks THEY could be visiting for longer. It's really not complicated
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:08 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You really are a div sometimes. He meant OP's in-laws coming for 2 weeks THEY could be visiting for longer. It's really not complicated
well it could be, it depend on how he reads it
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:15 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Superior
Yes? And so what? I knew what he meant all along and my statement is spot on.

PMSL, of course you did.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:17 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by Bordy
PMSL, of course you did.
now dont u be pickin on that poor lad hes got a monkey to spank tonight, dont wanna piss him off
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Go to Kangaroo Valley......2-3hrs south. Reminds me of UK. Very Green.

Kiama is great, it's a holiday town so accomodation would be no problem.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 4:25 am
Jaffacake

If you havent been to Port Stephens you should take them there. Its a great place and they have dolphins in the bay. There are loads of 1/2 day cruises out to watch the dolphins. I've been 3 times and seen dolphins up close every time. Another day trip if its nice is to The Entrance. You can get great fish and chips and they have pelican feeding daily (about 3pm I think).
Even closer is Palm beach. This is where they film Home and Away. you can catch them filming early in the mornings(maybe call the studio first). My overseas visitors love that! Then on the way back you have to stop at the Newport Arms Pub to have a drink overlooking Pittwater and look at the beautiful boats. Hope that gives you some ideas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.