Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Latest Thoughts and Comments on the Skilled Pass Mark ...

Latest Thoughts and Comments on the Skilled Pass Mark ...

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 12:48 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Latest Thoughts and Comments on the Skilled Pass Mark ...

Probably of interest to a few:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=298

Best regards.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

cuthere is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Allan

How about the designated area sponsored (139) - has it now been replaced by the regional area skilled or are these two separate categories?

Appreciate your comments.

cuthere
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:28 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

There's no indication of any changes to the 139-visa, so I am expecting the new regional skilled visa to be a new visa class that is in addition to the existing skilled program.

Best regards.

Originally posted by cuthere
Dear Allan

How about the designated area sponsored (139) - has it now been replaced by the regional area skilled or are these two separate categories?

Appreciate your comments.

cuthere
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Can I comment?

I thought the QLD regional rules were a bit strange, I mean if the Gold Coast and Bris are ruled out but the Sunshine Coast is classed as regional surely thats going to create a huge huge migrant intake for the Sunshine Coast. Its already mega popular with immigrants and handy (in OZ distances) for Brisbane.

To me where are people going to pick Mount Isa 17 whatever hours out of Bris or a trendy beach place 1 hour from Bris?? What an absolute $$$$$ bonanza for the Sunny Coast. Migrant boom or what, nice one for the property market too. You would have to wonder tho where all the jobs are going to come from or would people just commute to Bris anyway.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:48 am
Migration Agent

Of course you can comment dotty!

It's a good point ... maybe its time to invest in real estate on the Sunshine Coast (and Geelong!).

This aside, I think the devil will be in the detail, in that I (and I dare say those in authority too) have no idea how the State Governments are going to set their parameters for sponsorship and monitoring for the new regional skilled visas. Must the applicant live in a "regional area"? And work there too? What happens if the visaholder decides to work in a non-regional area? What happens if the employment requires the visaholder to attend an office in a non-regional area - does that mean visa cancellation? How is all this going to be policed?

As with so many Government "initiatives" Ministers stand up and make grand statements, leaving those of us at the coal face to make sense of the waffle, and causing no small amount of uncertainty in their wake.

Onwards!

Best regards.

Originally posted by dotty
Can I comment?

I thought the QLD regional rules were a bit strange, I mean if the Gold Coast and Bris are ruled out but the Sunshine Coast is classed as regional surely thats going to create a huge huge migrant intake for the Sunshine Coast. Its already mega popular with immigrants and handy (in OZ distances) for Brisbane.

To me where are people going to pick Mount Isa 17 whatever hours out of Bris or a trendy beach place 1 hour from Bris?? What an absolute $$$$$ bonanza for the Sunny Coast. Migrant boom or what, nice one for the property market too. You would have to wonder tho where all the jobs are going to come from or would people just commute to Bris anyway.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:01 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Alan Collett
(snip) I think the devil will be in the detail, in that I (and I dare say those in authority too) have no idea how the State Governments are going to set their parameters for sponsorship and monitoring for the new regional skilled visas. Must the applicant live in a "regional area"? And work there too? What happens if the visaholder decides to work in a non-regional area? What happens if the employment requires the visaholder to attend an office in a non-regional area - does that mean visa cancellation? How is all this going to be policed?

As with so many Government "initiatives" Ministers stand up and make grand statements, leaving those of us at the coal face to make sense of the waffle, and causing no small amount of uncertainty in their wake.

Onwards!

Best regards.
Alan

that's a very good point, and one which should give those of us scraping 115 points a bit of relief: if the regional areas haven't been defined, and the State Govt's have to sort it out, surely the new 120 rule can't come into play until that's sorted? Maybe the start of the immigration year - 1st July?

We're just waiting for Mrs DUP's VETASSESS to come back, and then we can apply for PR (less than 6 months left on employer-sponsored 457's, issued to me at age 48, and now I'm 50, Mrs DUP has to be the primary applicant.) If the new 120 rule comes into force in July, then we'll be okay, as we'll have our paperwork sorted by then. If it's 14 April (thanks a million for the warning, DIMIA! ) then we, like quite a few others on here, are screwed for the skilled independent visa.

Another thing - how can DIMIA say this will INCREASE the number of skilled migrants they will get? Maybe some basic maths is needed by those unable to count past ten without taking off their shoes and socks?!
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:04 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Something that strikes me is the IT jobs are are the cities so the regional visa could restrict severely the no of IT migrants.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:07 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bondipom
Something that strikes me is the IT jobs are are the cities so the regional visa could restrict severely the no of IT migrants.
Makes you wonder if they're trying to expand the IT sector outside of the CBDs, or if they expect everyone applying for regional to have only rudimentary computer knowledge. Maybe they're trying to foster the migration of farmworkers and tradepeople above IT??? If they want to compete in a global market then they NEED IT!
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:11 am
Migration Agent

I admire your optimism, but I think it is misplaced ... the new points pass mark is going to come into effect for skilled independent visa applications lodged on after the 14th of April => I would be chasing VETASSESS for the skills assessment classification straightaway.

What will most likely happen with the new regional skilled visas will be a replay of the introduction of the new State Sponsored Business Skills visas on the 1st of March last year ... the Department of Immigration announced the changes to the Federal law, leaving the States and Territories to deal with the detailed implementation of the criteria they would require applicants to satisfy to obtain sponsorship. It's an ideal situation for the Federal Government - pass (dump?) the problem to the States: here's an extract from comments made by the Minister in her interview with the ABC yesterday (http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/con...4/s1078898.htm):

"This will be of tremendous help to the states and territories, in order to match migrants to skills shortages and economic needs in their areas. States who want skilled migrants will have the opportunity to sponsor them, under this particular visa. States who don't want additional migrants in their regional areas will simply not have to sponsor them."

Best regards.

Originally posted by downunderpom
Alan

that's a very good point, and one which should give those of us scraping 115 points a bit of relief: if the regional areas haven't been defined, and the State Govt's have to sort it out, surely the new 120 rule can't come into play until that's sorted? Maybe the start of the immigration year - 1st July?

We're just waiting for Mrs DUP's VETASSESS to come back, and then we can apply for PR (less than 6 months left on employer-sponsored 457's, issued to me at age 48, and now I'm 50, Mrs DUP has to be the primary applicant.) If the new 120 rule comes into force in July, then we'll be okay, as we'll have our paperwork sorted by then. If it's 14 April (thanks a million for the warning, DIMIA! ) then we, like quite a few others on here, are screwed for the skilled independent visa.

Another thing - how can DIMIA say this will INCREASE the number of skilled migrants they will get? Maybe some basic maths is needed by those unable to count past ten without taking off their shoes and socks?!
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:15 am
Migration Agent

As a matter of interest, what visa category are you applying for ... if your wife is the main applicant and is applying via a VETASSESS skills assessment she will obtain 50 points at best.

Is yours an intended skilled independent application, or a family sponsored skilled visa?

Best regards.

Alan

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:16 am
I like kittens.

I admire your optimism, but I think it is misplaced ... the new points pass mark is going to come into effect for skilled independent visa applications lodged on after the 14th of April => I would be chasing VETASSESS for the skills assessment classification straightaway.

What will most likely happen with the new regional skilled visas will be a replay of the introduction of the new State Sponsored Business Skills visas on the 1st of March last year ... the Department of Immigration announced the changes to the Federal law, leaving the States and Territories to deal with the detailed implementation of the criteria they would require applicants to satisfy to obtain sponsorship. It's an ideal situation for the Federal Government - pass (dump?) the problem to the States: here's an extract from comments made by the Minister in her interview with the ABC yesterday (http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/con...4/s1078898.htm):

"This will be of tremendous help to the states and territories, in order to match migrants to skills shortages and economic needs in their areas. States who want skilled migrants will have the opportunity to sponsor them, under this particular visa. States who don't want additional migrants in their regional areas will simply not have to sponsor them."

Best regards.
Thanks, Alan

I have no objection to living and working in regional NSW (we're building a house about 45 minutes away from Bathurst), but it's just a case of getting work in the area..... Best take you advice and chase VETASSESS!

Steve
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:21 am
Migration Agent

Steve,

I would consider going to the VETASSESS office (in Melbourne) if they say the skills assessment classification will be available for collection next week, and then sending the visa application by courier from Melbourne to Adelaide once your have the VETASSESS letter. If this is a go-er I would check what proof of ID you would need to collect the skills assessment letter in person.

Food for thought maybe ...

Best regards.

Thanks, Alan

I have no objection to living and working in regional NSW (we're building a house about 45 minutes away from Bathurst), but it's just a case of getting work in the area..... Best take you advice and chase VETASSESS!

Steve
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:21 am
I like kittens.

As a matter of interest, what visa category are you applying for ... if your wife is the main applicant and is applying via a VETASSESS skills assessment she will obtain 50 points at best.

Is yours an intended skilled independent application, or a family sponsored skilled visa?

Best regards.
Skilled independent, We have no family out here. I was brought up in Oz, leaving - under protest - when 17, so I had 7 years as PR, but as a minor. My speciality is PeopleSoft (which was taken off the MODL in December). Mrs DUP has a BA (Hons) in Business and Fiannce for Managers (She went to Uni in Oxford). My employer was sponsoring me, but events seem to have overtaken us, so being employer-sponsored for PR as a MODL skilled employee is no longer an option.

Steve
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:22 am
I like kittens.

Steve,

I would consider going to the VETASSESS office (in Melbourne) if they say the skills assessment classification will be available for collection next week, and then sending the visa application by courier from Melbourne to Adelaide once your have the VETASSESS letter. If this is a go-er I would check what proof of ID you would need to collect the skills assessment letter in person.

Food for thought maybe ...

Best regards.
Very good idea, and I'll look into it. Thanks
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 9:17 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Bumpty bump

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.