Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

At Last - reasonable ONEWAY travel insurance

At Last - reasonable ONEWAY travel insurance

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of
Default At Last - reasonable ONEWAY travel insurance

After much searching we have just purchased our oneway travel insurance on this website:
http://www.insureandgo.com

Policy wording of "single trip" states it will definitely cover oneway trips (I also telephoned them for 100% certainty). We are stopping in Malaysia for 10 nights, so our 12 day policy cost £77.99 for 2 adults and a toddler.

This is £30-40 cheaper than the likes of Royal Mail and Trailfinders. AND we chose the GOLD policy so its very comprehensive.

I hope this will help save time for those of you about to buy one way insurance.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

skyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud of
Default Re: At Last - reasonable ONEWAY travel insurance

Do they need an address to be able to give you cover ?

Regards,
Ian.

Originally Posted by rpa34
After much searching we have just purchased our oneway travel insurance on this website:

Policy wording of "single trip" states it will definitely cover oneway trips (I also telephoned them for 100% certainty). We are stopping in Malaysia for 10 nights, so our 12 day policy cost £77.99 for 2 adults and a toddler.

This is £30-40 cheaper than the likes of Royal Mail and Trailfinders. AND we chose the GOLD policy so its very comprehensive.

I hope this will help save time for those of you about to buy one way insurance.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by skyblue
Do they need an address to be able to give you cover ?

Regards,
Ian.
Just quote your UK address. All policies bought in UK require that you are UK resident at time of purchase.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

skyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud of

damn, counts me out, I'm currently living/working in Holland, oh well.

Cheers anyway.

Just quote your UK address. All policies bought in UK require that you are UK resident at time of purchase.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:46 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you read the "small print" in the policy document?!

The problems with these kinds of policy are:

1. This one ends 24 hours after you've passed through immigration (see p.7 of the policy document under the heading "one way trip"). You may find it difficult if not impossible to arrange household insurance within 24 hours of setting foot in the country. But without such cover, your stuff will then be uninsured!

2. The "single item" limit (even with gold cover) on this policy is only £250. So, in our case: if we emigrate with a laptop, digital camera, digital video camera, and engagement ring and his/hers wedding rings - then only the engagement/wedding rings would be covered (in our case). All other items would be over the "single item" limit.

The Post Office policy has a higher single item limit (which is why the policy is a little dearer), but it's still not high enough if you own a laptop.

We'll be getting our one-way travel insurance through a broker (has been mentioned on here before, but name escapes me just now and can't be bothered to look it up).

Anyway, my point is: make sure you download and read the "small print" very carefully and make sure the policy meets your needs.

Gina
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GinaUK
I hope you read the "small print" in the policy document?!

The problems with these kinds of policy are:

1. This one ends 24 hours after you've passed through immigration (see p.7 of the policy document under the heading "one way trip"). You may find it difficult if not impossible to arrange household insurance within 24 hours of setting foot in the country. But without such cover, your stuff will then be uninsured!

2. The "single item" limit (even with gold cover) on this policy is only £250. So, in our case: if we emigrate with a laptop, digital camera, digital video camera, and engagement ring and his/hers wedding rings - then only the engagement/wedding rings would be covered (in our case). All other items would be over the "single item" limit.

The Post Office policy has a higher single item limit (which is why the policy is a little dearer), but it's still not high enough if you own a laptop.

We'll be getting our one-way travel insurance through a broker (has been mentioned on here before, but name escapes me just now and can't be bothered to look it up).

Anyway, my point is: make sure you download and read the "small print" very carefully and make sure the policy meets your needs.

Gina
yes we have studied the small print of this policy and many others, they dont differ greatly. We too will have laptop, camera, camcorder and jewellery, so its a gamble with whomever we choose. We figure brokerage insurance is going to be quite expensive.

All the policies we have seen end after arrival in Oz. we will stay with relatives for a week and then will move into our house a week later, already have insurance lined up with SGIO for the house so that should be ok.

Its a tough choice buying insurance, we also have 14days to cancel should we choose to or find a better policy but I havent found much better so far. If anyone comes up with something else worth looking at then we are open to suggestions. Meanwhile its back to finding a decent company to rent a container from - we are doing the DIY route...
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute

Did you check out www.go-walkabout.co.uk they do 17 days cover - cost for 2 adults worldwide (excl USA & Canada) £85

Paula

Last edited by Downies; Aug 3rd 2006 at 9:29 am. Reason: error on web address
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Downies
Did you check out www.go-walkabout.co.uk they do 17 days cover - cost for 2 adults worldwide (excl USA & Canada) £85

Paula
Its more expensive and doesnt give as good cover even if we chose the "First Class" cover, worked out at £105 for the 3 of us. Again, its almost £30 dearer than the quote we have.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Its more expensive and doesnt give as good cover even if we chose the "First Class" cover, worked out at £105 for the 3 of us. Again, its almost £30 dearer than the quote we have.

Hi...I'm trying to figure out the best policy for us too.

We require insurance for 30 days (the time we're in a hotel) for the following:

2 adults - medical
1 Laptop £800 (this seems to be difficult as single items limits seems to be £300 max)

Any ideas?

Thanks
TC
Old Aug 16th 2006, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We already have an annual worldwide policy with Insureandgo and I checked with them and it will cover us so seemed a bit daft to buy more. You can pay extra for up to £1000 cover on laptops or other items.
It does expire in 24 hours of arrival but we won't have much with us (only 20k allowance) of real value except the lap top and camera. All other stuff covered by shipping insurance.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Lloyds TSB platinum account which includes free travel insurance. I have just changed the address on our account to our US one, and they confirmed that we will still be eligible for all the perks, including travel insurance even though our address is abroad. I know you have to have a certain amount in the account to not pay for the pleasure (can't remember how much but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to check) but even if you do go under the monthl charge isn't all that high as far as I can remember. If you are planning to keep a UK account open for a time anyway when you go then this might be an option.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:52 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

we used insure and go when we came over 2 years ago we paid £50 for four of us for 14 day policy which was great
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:55 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

My house insurance was still valid when we left and as it was the premium cover this covered anything we took out of the house so they said that if the laptops or cameras etc were damaged on our way over then I could claim for them, and I got it in writing.....may be worth checkin if u still have your UK policy.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not so sure about any of your policies.

If you ask your broker whether you're covered as a migrant....you may get a different answer.

The reason is down to the fact that its not cost effective for ABC UK insurance to investigate a loss on the other side of the world.

TC
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:01 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that, I've added it to my list of useful webby addresses!
jackie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.