Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

last minute flights

last minute flights

Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:31 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute
Default last minute flights

Hiya, this is just something myself and my wife were mulling over. We have sold our house now and will move into a friends flat shortly untill we go. We still dont have the visa yet but when we do we will hopefully have sorted everything out by that point, leaving only flights to book. My question is really to those folks who have already made the move, did any of you try to make any savings by booking last minute flights instead of bookings in advance? and if so did it work.
I was thinking that if you can save on holidays and flights taking last minute bookings then they must have the same thing on long haul flights, maybe even an upgrade by booking last minute?

Just a thought anyway. Any thoughts or comments gratefully recieved.

Nev.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:41 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: last minute flights

I don't know about really last minute flights Nev but when I was looking to book our flights for our reccie I was told by a travel agent that the seats for a flight to Oz are released 11 months before the flight. So if you book 11 months ahead you will get the cheaper seats because as the seats sell they go up in price.

The travel agent couldn't touch the price that I got for flights on the internet.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:51 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
I don't know about really last minute flights Nev but when I was looking to book our flights for our reccie I was told by a travel agent that the seats for a flight to Oz are released 11 months before the flight. So if you book 11 months ahead you will get the cheaper seats because as the seats sell they go up in price.

The travel agent couldn't touch the price that I got for flights on the internet.

We were told very similar to that too....book early and get the better prices
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:56 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

It's definitely a bit of a toss up. Usually it's best to book as far in advance as possible to get the best prices but this is not always possible if you are migrating. We booked ours a few weeks before we flew and got what we thought were goot prices (£475 each with Qantas). Although having said that, the cheaper flights with Malaysia (our preferred option) were dissapearing before our eyes....

Not sure about the upgrade, although our flight over hear was over booked so we volunteered to fly a different route (visa Hong Kong rather than Singapore) and they paid us $400 for the bother . Thanks Qantas!!!

Graham
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

wannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the rough

hi there, i have been told by my travel agent that last minute bookings are no longer the smae as years ago when they were sold off cheap. These days you pay the same...if not more than an early booking!!

I have just booked with austrian airways - they appear to have very good deals!!!
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:46 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

I have been to Aus quite afew times each time using travelbag to book flights.

I called them yesterday to find out about flying out to Sydney in January.

They quoted me 1490.00:

That is for 2 Adults and 2 Children.

Including a 2 week stop off in Washington DC... internal flights included in price as we would have to fly to LA in order to get departing flight to Sydney.

This is via United Airline's.

I must say it was the cheapest flight offer I found.

If anyone has found cheaper please let me know lol
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:14 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all above for your replys.

Nev.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:38 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by utopia
I have been to Aus quite afew times each time using travelbag to book flights.

I called them yesterday to find out about flying out to Sydney in January.

They quoted me 1490.00:

That is for 2 Adults and 2 Children.

Including a 2 week stop off in Washington DC... internal flights included in price as we would have to fly to LA in order to get departing flight to Sydney.

This is via United Airline's.

I must say it was the cheapest flight offer I found.

If anyone has found cheaper please let me know lol

I have always found United to be the cheapest to fly with. I have flown with them several times now, and they are an excellent airline.

Plus, you also get the added bonus of the 43 (+21) kg per person baggage allowance for flying through the states.

S
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:53 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I have always found United to be the cheapest to fly with. I have flown with them several times now, and they are an excellent airline.
Seriously? Last time I flew with them (couple of years ago) they didn't have any seat-back screens, just the old projector showing a movie at the front of the cabin and the 747 was old and knackered. They upgraded their aircraft on that route?