Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

last minute flights

last minute flights

Old Jun 29th 2004, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Nigel & Marie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default last minute flights

Hi, just wondering how easy is it to get last minute flights to Oz in Jan? has anyone done this, or is it best to book them in advance?

N & M
Old Jun 30th 2004, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

jetsetter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: last minute flights

Originally posted by Nigel & Marie
Hi, just wondering how easy is it to get last minute flights to Oz in Jan? has anyone done this, or is it best to book them in advance?

N & M

Hi N&M,

I suspect you'll get a better deal by waiting until Jan and booking. Once New Year has been and gone the holiday season in the UK switches to low season. Many airlines have 'seat sales' in order to fill up flights.
I can recall posters at work during the last couple of Januarys from our travel agents advertising cheap flights from UK to US/Canada - might well be the same to Oz.

Good luck
Old Jun 30th 2004, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

MARTINIUS is an unknown quantity at this point

I can confirm this as I got a relatively cheap return flight to Perth for £500 late January after all the Christmas visitors have gone home. I could have got it a lot cheaper at that time of year but the dates and routing suited me at the time. Singapore Airlines I think have details around this time of year and also I've seen deals with Travelbag and Trailfinders - mine was through Austravel.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

KayCee is an unknown quantity at this point

High season is classed as 10 December till about 10 January (although some airlines vary!)
If you can wait until after this date then you will get a good deal on your ticket. Many airlines publish offers to encourage people to fly as it is their slow period!!
Hope this help
KayCee
Old Jun 30th 2004, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

We are hoping to go 3/1 - looks like we may be paying top whack for our flights then!!! Always the same

pockygoes
Old Jun 30th 2004, 8:34 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by pockygoes
We are hoping to go 3/1 - looks like we may be paying top whack for our flights then!!! Always the same

pockygoes
I personally wouldn't recomend booking last minute for a flight that close to new year. At that time of the year many people are trying to get home after xmas and the new year visiting family etc and all the private school kids from Hong Kong etc are trying to get back to where they go to school be that Australia or the UK.

I could be completely wrong but I travel standby a lot and would not even bother ttrying to get on a standby flight then

Cheers
Kala
Old Jul 9th 2004, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

annb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant future

i dont know where you are flying out of or into but i just had a quick look at the filghts and already a lot of airlines seem to be sold out of their cheaper seats on 3 jan (notoriously one of the busiest days worldwide to travel on) to australia so i would be booking something asap or you will be paying even more!!
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did a search for last minute flights to Perth and the cheapest I found was £50 more expensive than a normal search