Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Last day of school

Last day of school

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Last day of school

Hi guys
The schools break up in Portsmouth today. I feel quite narked, since we're still waiting on our visa (51 weeks, deposited bond a while ago) and we still don't know what we're doing. My 7 year old doesn't know if she's leaving today, or if she's back in September. She didn't look too worried today, although I sent her in with a disposable camera and a book for her friends to write in. I'm a bit concerned that it will "sink in", that she'll get upset and I feel so frustrated by the whole thing.
I wish DIMIA would get a move on, it's bad enough when our own lives are put on hold... but our children too?
Ahhhh well, the postie hasn't been yet...
Larissa
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 7:56 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last day of school

Originally posted by Larissa
Hi guys
The schools break up in Portsmouth today. I feel quite narked, since we're still waiting on our visa (51 weeks, deposited bond a while ago) and we still don't know what we're doing. My 7 year old doesn't know if she's leaving today, or if she's back in September. She didn't look too worried today, although I sent her in with a disposable camera and a book for her friends to write in. I'm a bit concerned that it will "sink in", that she'll get upset and I feel so frustrated by the whole thing.
I wish DIMIA would get a move on, it's bad enough when our own lives are put on hold... but our children too?
Larissa
Hi Larissa

Same boat as you with our 13 year old, just have to hope news arrives before new term starts in September.

Walla
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Walla,
That must be even worse... hope you get some good news soon.
ATB
Larissa
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:31 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Walla and Larissa, good luck to both of you. Hope you get some news soon!
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Larissa

Know eactly what you mean about the being in limbo. We have finally recieved our visa`s via a letter on tues and they were granted on 13/7/04, however we did have to wait well over the estimated 52 weeks ours was more like 14 months...

Hope your daughters day goes ok and that you hear something really soon

footie x
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Same here Larissa, although you are all too aware of how the state of play is in our house.
Jake has just walked in the door, after his `last` day at school.

Didnt seem too bothered, but then again he is quite deep.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hi guys
Larissa
Larissa
If you have lodged your bond now you should not hopefully have to wait too much longer.

Hope taht you get the yellow envelope soon.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road

Hi guys
Larissa
Same goes for us too Larissa - not sure if the house sale will go through in time for my oldest not to go back in September, hence his last day yesterday didn't seem any big deal BUT if I'd known it was going to be his last day that would have made a difference if you know what I mean! Plus my second child is due to start in September, so do I start him or not? Buyers want a completion date of 27/08 but haven't exchanged yet so don't have a clue as to what is going to happen. I've half heartedly bought a couple of school sweatshirts in case he has to start and the rest of the uniform will be his brothers' hand me downs to last until we go - poor boy . We've had to play down the whole starting school thing because we don't know if he will or not. I don't know if I'm coming or going !! If only I had a crystal ball................!

Good luck to you. Hope the postie brought you something nice........

Sam
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all your kind thoughts guys... nothing from the postie, except a leaving card from my daughter's after-school playscheme, which was very sweet... it said, "We will miss your happy, smiling face" Ahhhhh, there is some goodness and hope left in the world!
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

gordys is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, looks like there's loads of us in the same boat. My gurrrls both finish up today with the youngest staying in the same school but the eldest not wanting to leave primary school to start in her new school to have to move schools again when we move - AND of course the house is still on the market

Coming up to 50 weeks (excluding the Skills asses year wait) and still waiting for the Visa
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 1:04 pm
Soon to be Visas holders

pete n lisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there Larissa,

Chip up honey, you lodged your bond only a couple of weeks after us and we have now finally got an email from our case officer, so all being well you should hear within the next two weeks. All of my children have now finished school and there were a few tears flowing (FROM ME!!!!:scared: ), I am an emotional wreck at the moment.

Good luck with your 'open' weekend, hope to see you saturday, if only for an hour.

Lisa xx
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 1:06 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

It's difficult to know what to do Larissa isn't it? You've had lots of interest in your house and one of those peeps could come back at any moment and say 'yea missus we want your pad....name your price!' Then by time september comes your house sale could be almost complete and it won't be worth sending her back.

I went to get Darryl's school uniform for secondary school yesterday. The woman in the shop very kindly just put it by for us 'just in case a miracle happens' and we're well on the way to being sold. Yea....and pigs might just bl*ody well fly Still... it was nice of her to do that.

Think I got the woman behind me in the shop in a bit of a flap tho as her lad's top of the waiting list for Darryl's year group. In the mean time she has to buy uniform for her lad to go another school while they wait for a place!

Life's a complete bummer sometimes innit?
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cheers Lisa, we have heard from DIMIA (coz of Sim's interview) and our case officer has changed, so maybe that is what is delaying the whole thing.
Anyhow, we have just had a call for a private viewing, so chipper up...as you said!
Take care
Larissa
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Anyhow, we have just had a call for a private viewing, so chipper up...as you said!
Take care
Larissa [/QUOTE]

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed!!!!!!!!!!!

Love

S
xxxxxxx
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

going4it has a spectacular aura aboutgoing4it has a spectacular aura aboutgoing4it has a spectacular aura about

Larissa
The Postie is the one to watch, We'd been told we would have our visas my our agent at the end of June, I chased my agent the beginning of July to find out that our approval letter had been "Lost in the Post" and DIMIA had posted it in May.

I was mega upset 'cos we had been stressing the extra time. If it is due or over due might be a good idea to chase.

Best of luck.

Jayne