Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Laser eye Treatment ????

Laser eye Treatment ????

Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:18 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Laser eye Treatment ????

Has anyone on this board had their eyes done ???
I am contemplating having mine done, should i have it done in UK or wait until i get to Oz ???????

Unfortunately i can't wear contacts so i am forever swapping my glasses for my shades and vice versa.
Any info will be gratefully accepted

Last edited by 4500 Times; Mar 29th 2005 at 6:22 am.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

jaxowen will become famous soon enoughjaxowen will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Laser eye Treatment ????

Originally Posted by 4500 Times

I am contemplating having mine done, should i have it done in UK or wait until i get to Oz ???????

Unfortunately i can't wear contacts so i am forever swapping my glasses for my shades and vice versa.
I my self have not had it done as don't need glasses yet. however i know of a couple of very close friends who have had it done and were thrilled wiht the instant results. if i wore glasses i would definately have it done based on their experiences. (they did say the procedure was more uncomfortable than they originally expected... but well worth it.)
good luck
jax
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

stotty is on a distinguished road

I had my eyes lasered four years ago and I've had no problems at all. Didn't hurt AT ALL (went for the LASIK as opposed to the PRK option), had both eyes done at the same time, no pain or discomfort afterwards and - best of all - no more steamed-up glasses in winter! Well worth it!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

I had LASEK on 11th March, mainly due to Oz as we're trying to cut down our monthly outgoings as I want to give up work. I was only midly short sighted but had a bad astigmatism. I am pleased with the results but it's still early days. Going back tomorrow for a check up and eye test.

If you have any questions - ask away !
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

I`ve had laser treatment a year ago and would recommended it I used ultra lase up London....when you have the treatment you get check ups for 1 year so need to be around for them just incase there is any problems.

Sue...best thing I ever did
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Hi

Mum and several friends have had the op over the last 12 years and I had my appointment two years ago but bottled because I thought it would be good for them to get a bit more practice.

Now ready to go with the op before we emigrate in July as our guys will have had a lot more experience (more people) and because here I have people to look after me and the kids while I'm recovering.

Also there's the idea that we're starting a new life so want it as great as possible - of course I'm also going to eat healthily, get slim, never watch the telly (I gather that won't be difficult) and generally be an all round better person.

The tests they do before they let you have lasek or lasik are uncomfortable and you must make sure you don't go for the op with cold sores or other viruses, wash your hands at all times, never rub eyes, etc. which are all sound advice as the horror stories are terrible though few and far between.

So now I've nearly convinced myself .. am I ready to make the appointment?

Carolyn
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

HeatherandTim is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my eyes done in OZ about 3 years ago and it is fantastic. Tim is having his done this year. Two of my friends have since had it done all with fantastic results. The price varies between places. I paid $1500 per eye and had them done at the same time. Needed about two days to recover fully. There is a practise near me that is advertising at $998 per eye. I would recommend it
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HeatherandTim
I had my eyes done in OZ about 3 years ago and it is fantastic. Tim is having his done this year. Two of my friends have since had it done all with fantastic results. The price varies between places. I paid $1500 per eye and had them done at the same time. Needed about two days to recover fully. There is a practise near me that is advertising at $998 per eye. I would recommend it
Blimey - sounds like it's worth waiting to get to Oz then - ISTR my wife paid about £1850 - and that was with a £250 discount voucher...
Old Mar 29th 2005, 11:29 am
JKA
Forum Regular

JKA is a jewel in the roughJKA is a jewel in the roughJKA is a jewel in the roughJKA is a jewel in the rough

I had both my eyes done (Lasik) in Feb 2003 at Optimax in Glasgow. The procedure was obsolutely painless but I was a little light sensitive for the next day. The only off putting part is the smell of the laser burning your eye.

I was -3.00 in both eyes before and now one eye is 0 and the other is -0.25 which is nothing.

It cost me £1,000 for both eyes but there was a promotion on at the time with £500 off if you were getting both eyes done. This is a promotion that occured regularly (don't know if it still does).

I have no hesitation in recommending the procedure to anyone.

JKA
Old Mar 29th 2005, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JKA
I had both my eyes done (Lasik) in Feb 2003 at Optimax in Glasgow. The procedure was obsolutely painless but I was a little light sensitive for the next day. The only off putting part is the smell of the laser burning your eye.

I was -3.00 in both eyes before and now one eye is 0 and the other is -0.25 which is nothing.

It cost me £1,000 for both eyes but there was a promotion on at the time with £500 off if you were getting both eyes done. This is a promotion that occured regularly (don't know if it still does).

I have no hesitation in recommending the procedure to anyone.

JKA

Smells like hair burning, mine went really well, had 20.20 the next day all I found that when I came out my eyes felt very gritty and its best to take someone up with you for when you come out.

Sue
Old Mar 29th 2005, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sue2
Smells like hair burning, mine went really well, had 20.20 the next day all I found that when I came out my eyes felt very gritty and its best to take someone up with you for when you come out.

Sue
I was surprised to discover that my wife's vision had improved to better than 20/20. (Or 6/6 as they refer to it in these days of metrication)
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
I was surprised to discover that my wife's vision had improved to better than 20/20. (Or 6/6 as they refer to it in these days of metrication)

Its such a good feeling the next day when you first look out of the window glasses free and see so much detail on things.

It is the best thing I ever did and its over & done with in minutes
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to barge into the Australia forum, but this interests me.

I have extreme short sight. Easily in the minus double digits both sides. Has anybody had the surgery under these conditions?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Sorry to barge into the Australia forum, but this interests me.

I have extreme short sight. Easily in the minus double digits both sides. Has anybody had the surgery under these conditions?

I know they can do long & short sight, it also depends on the shape of your eye whether they can do the treatment or not....best thing is to make an appointment and see what they say....I do remember that there was someone there when I was having my eyes done with very bad sight in one eye.

Sue
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:58 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue2
I know they can do long & short sight, it also depends on the shape of your eye whether they can do the treatment or not....best thing is to make an appointment and see what they say....I do remember that there was someone there when I was having my eyes done with very bad sight in one eye.

Sue
Thanks. Extremely short-sighted people like me have eyes that are a funny shape (inside!) and have greater risk of a detached retina because of it. I know that we are not automatically ruled out for the surgery though - as you say, would have to have the exam. I'm concerned about the fact that they can only do it once, and about long-term effects if cells start to grow back and stuff. I'm so short sighted now though that if I lost a contact lense while out someone would have to come and get me! But I can't really see well with glasses at all, and I'm worried that at some point my eyes might not want to accept contacts any more because I wear them all day every day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.