Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Laser Eye Surgery/Glasses/Contacts

Wikiposts

Laser Eye Surgery/Glasses/Contacts

Old Feb 28th 2004, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Both Mr S and I had Lasik last June. We're both 55 and already needed varifocals. I had bad astigmatism (over 4 in both eyes) and -5 short sight ( they can do up to -18 now). I was wearing multi-focal gas permeable lens which were fine in good light but useless in the evenings - back to glasses then. I was very wary the risk but after Mr S was done (driving the next day) I couldn't wait.

We went to the Centre for Sight in East Grinstead which is in the Queen Vic hospital and run by one of the top consultant opthalmologists in the country (Sheraz Daya). I had to give up lenses 4 weeks before the initial consultation (when eyes are dilated for proper examination) and had every possible sight test, took about 3 hours. Mr Daya does the wavefront method as well but said he only used it when he thought it would give a better result and there was no advantage in it for me.

There was no eye make-up allowed for 2 weeks before the op , and 5 days of special eye-lid cleaning before. It was uncomfortable but not painful and all over in 15 minutes. Waited for post-op consultation then home to sleep. Back for first check-up the following day - almost 20-20. Eye-drops for a couple of weeks and dark glasses to wear in bed for 4 weeks (to stop you rubbing your eyes). I can actually read without glasses in good light and only need +1 in the gloom, whereas I need at least +2 reading correction before.

Neither of us had dry eyes. Mr S had the halo effect with car headlights at first - caused by refraction from the scars - but it went away.

Overall it's brilliant. I've never had naked eyes before. No fiddling with lenses, no tunnel vision with glasses, can cat-nap whenever I want, saving a veritable fortune on lenses and glasses. Reading glasses cost £2.99 so don't have to worry about losing them. Both of us got last check after 6 months - I'm 20-20, Mr S is better.

Look at www.lasik-eyes.co.uk. Don't go for the cheapest, go for the best.

Lesley
Old Feb 28th 2004, 8:03 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

yup, I had mine done two years ago,
check out the avatar!!!
no I really did and it was fine, drove home the next day. eyesight is 20/20.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

Originally posted by pompeywill
yup, I had mine done two years ago,
check out the avatar!!!
no I really did and it was fine, drove home the next day. eyesight is 20/20.
alan had his done two and a half years ago, he's worn glasses since a child. he was shortsighted and aged 50 at the time, and reading vision was deteriorating and he had to have bifocals which he hated. al had lasik done in edgbaston, birmingham, he was driving the next day, no pain, dry eyes just for a few days, brilliant result. yes, still wears glasses for reading because lasik cannot correct that, but a wonderful result all the same. (it took years off him for some reason!)
at the time it cost £1750.
kar
Old Feb 28th 2004, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karenvirginia
alan had his done two and a half years ago, he's worn glasses since a child. he was shortsighted and aged 50 at the time, and reading vision was deteriorating and he had to have bifocals which he hated. al had lasik done in edgbaston, birmingham, he was driving the next day, no pain, dry eyes just for a few days, brilliant result. yes, still wears glasses for reading because lasik cannot correct that, but a wonderful result all the same. (it took years off him for some reason!)
at the time it cost £1750.
kar

Thanks to everybody for very helpful contributions. Here's an australian website for those interested, and I'll send info I receive from first rate Thai institutions, starting with this one website.

www.lasik.com.au
www.bumrungrad.com/en/clinics/eye.asp

The latter are charging circa Bhat25,000 (USD650) and are world class - makes sense for those migrating or traveling through SE Asaia. I wonder if it is tax deductible if performed outside Australia.

Cheers

David