Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Large car recommendations and slimmest car seats?

Large car recommendations and slimmest car seats?

Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

naomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nice
Default Large car recommendations and slimmest car seats?

Hi all, we are a family of 5 heading to Perth in Nov.

Kids will be 6, 2 and 7 months. I understand car seats need to be used until children are 26kgs, my 6 year old is of very slight build and only about 17.5kg now (am trying to fatten him up but don't think I'll manage to pack an extra 8.5kg on him in 3 months LOL!)

Need advice on cars that comfortably fit three full car seats across the rear seat?
On our list of cars we like so far are, Kia Sportage, Hyundai Santa Fe, Hyundai ix35, Holden Commodore, Ford Falcon.

We have a scenic here but am sure when our youngest goes into her front facing seat it wouldn't fit, is extremely tight now.

Also as our UK car seats aren't certified to Australian standards and can't be used we need to buy three new seats (deep joy!!) Can you recommend car and booster seats out there that are narrow? Was hoping to do a click and collect order with Target to collect seats the day after we arrive but will depend on whether they stock the slimmest models I suppose.

Many Thanks all!!!
Old Jul 30th 2012, 9:28 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Large car recommendations and slimmest car seats?

6 years ago my daughter discovered she was going to have twins, which meant she had to hunt for a car wide enough to take 3 pods/car seats across the back (the twins and their 2******ther (for some reason an abbreviation of "two year old brother" offends this forum's sense of decency!)). After a lot of looking round she finally bought a Ford Territory as it was the only car she could find at a reasonable price which would fit 3 seats.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Your six year old should be okay in a booster seat, I think they are able to use them from about 18kg. If you use one without a back rest in it, you should fit two full sized car seats and a small booster in most large sedans. We had three in full size car seats at one point and had a Toyota Landcruiser which comfortable fitted the three seats across the back seat.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

naomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nice

Thanks for your responses. I'm sure i read that the booster cushions are being fazed out it WA. Will have to check the car seat laws again!
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

I went to baby bunting when we arrived, my daughter is 5 and very slight, bought the cheapest seat and it is quite narrow but she says it's really comfy and she likes it.
You can't use uk seats, they have to fix it using a clip behind the seat and these seats can't go in the third row, which my daughter hates.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy3
I went to baby bunting when we arrived, my daughter is 5 and very slight, bought the cheapest seat and it is quite narrow but she says it's really comfy and she likes it.
You can't use uk seats, they have to fix it using a clip behind the seat and these seats can't go in the third row, which my daughter hates.
Thanks will look where baby bunting is in Perth. What car do you have to fit 3 seats in?
Old Aug 4th 2012, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Holden captiva, but only my daughter is in a seat. My boys are older. Would say your best bet is the MPV style cars. Had one in the uk and could get 3 child seats side by side as they were all independant seats (Peugot 806)