Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Laptops as hand luggage?

Laptops as hand luggage?

Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

welovebonds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Laptops as hand luggage?

Now that I have ticked the jewellery niggle out of the way...my next question is laptops.

We have 2 laptops and want to take them as hand luggage, has anyone done this or is it possible. We will also have a toddler in tow....so don't want to loose sight of the laptops or the toddler while travelling over to OZ.

Any advice appreciated.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:35 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laptops as hand luggage?

Originally Posted by welovebonds
Now that I have ticked the jewellery niggle out of the way...my next question is laptops.

We have 2 laptops and want to take them as hand luggage, has anyone done this or is it possible. We will also have a toddler in tow....so don't want to loose sight of the laptops or the toddler while travelling over to OZ.

Any advice appreciated.
No other way to take them, you'll see loads of people with them.

Some flights even have internet access.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Any advice appreciated.
You can take them, but they do count as your piece of hand luggage so with 2 laptops, 1 toddler and only a 3 bag allowance you'll probably need to pack them with other stuff as well.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:30 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katherined0
You can take them, but they do count as your piece of hand luggage so with 2 laptops, 1 toddler and only a 3 bag allowance you'll probably need to pack them with other stuff as well.
They've always allowed me on with a laptop and another piece of hand luggage.

They're also more tolerant when you have small children.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:35 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice appreciated.
We brought our two laptops over with us as hand luggage.

Absolutely no problems, bit of a pain having to take them out of their laptop bags at Manchester, so they could go through the x-ray machine separately (they did a swab test on mine too, I must have a suspicious look about me) and then the same again at Singapore (but no swab test then, I must have lost my suspicious air).

OHs employer had booked us on QANTAS flights, and we'd panicked a bit because on their website it stated that laptops count as your item of handluggage.. but a friend of ours who is QANTAS cabin crew said they don't generally mind extra hand luggage so long as you're not taking the mickey. I had a decent sized hand bag, my laptop bag (packed with books/iPod/NintendoDS that I never used) and a small rucksack. Kids all had small rucksacks, and OH just used his laptop bag.

Lynne
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by fraser
They've always allowed me on with a laptop and another piece of hand luggage.

They're also more tolerant when you have small children.
That's useful to know! Thanks.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:49 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice appreciated.
Have you ever traveled before?? Seriously this is a daft question, read the hand luggage allowances on your chosen flight providers website and use that. Your hand luggage for the 3 of you could be 3 of the small trolley bags, all you need to do is put your laptops in one of them and use the other 2 trolley bags for your normal hand luggage/toddler items. Its not bloody rocket science!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:54 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Have you ever traveled before?? Seriously this is a daft question, read the hand luggage allowances on your chosen flight providers website and use that. Your hand luggage for the 3 of you could be 3 of the small trolley bags, all you need to do is put your laptops in one of them and use the other 2 trolley bags for your normal hand luggage/toddler items. Its not bloody rocket science!

neither is being polite.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:01 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

you can it can get to be a bit of a pain everytime you pass through security as you have to remove it from the laptop bag for x-rays
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:14 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
neither is being polite.
It may of been harsh but certainly not impolite! I just sometimes feel that people seem to think Australia is on another planet at times!! Its just another country a plane ride away!
I mean, with all the furore recently with hand luggage you would of thought people would check officially first before relying on other peoples opinions!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:15 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

It may of been harsh but certainly not impolite! I just sometimes feel that people seem to think Australia is on another planet at times!! Its just another country a plane ride away!
I mean, with all the furore recently with hand luggage you would of thought people would check officially first before relying on other peoples opinions!
The whole point of this forum is to share knowledge and get help from other peoples experiences and opinions. If you don't wish to reply to a thread you don't have to.

Mod.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:17 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

You aren't here yet, Australia is on another planet.

Sometimes websites are less than clear on requirements and peoples experiences of recent travel can be just as valid, particularly as some airline staff are a little more lenient than others.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:51 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
The whole point of this forum is to share knowledge and get help from other peoples experiences and opinions. If you don't wish to reply to a thread you don't have to.

Mod.
Ok, I accept that!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:51 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by northernbird
You aren't here yet, Australia is on another planet.

Sometimes websites are less than clear on requirements and peoples experiences of recent travel can be just as valid, particularly as some airline staff are a little more lenient than others.
Fair point.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:06 pm
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

We flew with SA and their hand luggage allowance was 7kg each person. We have laptop rucksacks, we had a laptop each, OH also had canon camera equipment with extra lenses. We put the mains leads and chargers all in the hold luggage to keep the weight down. My laptop is heavy as its one with a widescreen etc. We were both on max 7kg if not over in fact. They did not weigh them at check-in. After going through to customs we each then picked up various bits and pieces at duty free incl. a couple of books so we must have been well over the 7kg by the time we boarded. We had no hasles all the way through to Sydney.

It's true though, no matter which airport it is these days laptops must be removed from bags and put through xray on a seperate tray. That's why we invested in laptop rucksacks (within the size restrictions of course) so that we had easy access to them. I imagine it could be a pain in the butt taking them out of some of the smaller wheelie bags especially if you're juggling ankle biters at the same time!

Out of interest - we were running a blog recording the whole experience from start to finish. We got internet connections in Heathrow through the cloud service and internet at changi too in the A380 standard lounge - all done with a credit card number and next to no money. Yes, we were that anal!

Last edited by jellibaby; Feb 19th 2008 at 11:09 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.