Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Laptop question (again probably.....)

Laptop question (again probably.....)

Old Nov 5th 2005, 9:20 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default Laptop question (again probably.....)

OK, all you knowledgable folks!!

When we go to Oz, do we....

a: take our old crummy laptop from the UK?

or

b: buy new when we get there?

We need to know things like spec, is this similar. What are the cost comparisons like?

I know this has been done to death, but, to be honest, I can't be arsed sniffing around for t'answers!!

Thanks for all your kind offerings.................
Old Nov 5th 2005, 9:34 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laptop question (again probably.....)

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ

or

We need to know things like spec, is this similar. What are the cost comparisons like?

I know this has been done to death, but, to be honest, I can't be arsed sniffing around for t'answers!!

If its just a laptop bring it as carry-on.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 9:37 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
If its just a laptop bring it as carry-on.
Thanks, but that wasn't the issue..............we already worked that one out!
Old Nov 5th 2005, 9:38 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

or

For cost comparison try these:

www.dell.com.au

or if you are loaded

alienware

ADL

Oh if you found this post useful, you can thank me by buying one of these for me:

I wish
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

I can't be arsed sniffing around for t'answers!!

Well I can't be arsed helping you,
Get an iBook, easier to use, and you can check the UK price and the Oz price on line...and it's less confusing for lazy folk when you need to compare dell etc..
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by galloping gaijin
Get an iBook, easier to use, and you can check the UK price and the Oz price on line...and it's less confusing for lazy folk when you need to compare dell etc..

I thought sarcasm was my thing here??

Hey, my post....only I can be sarcy!!!

Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:47 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Actually agree with this. Apple machines are easy to use, are simply stunning and completely blow away my windows based system. I dont think my Mac has ever crashed. Ultimately though its a matter of personal choice and what you use the system for as many software packages are not available on a Mac. I can say that I prefer Mac Office for example but games are limited and in Australia the number of stores stocking software and apple hardware (Brisbane anyway) is woeful.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

Originally Posted by Centurion
I can say that I prefer Mac Office for example but games are limited and in Australia the number of stores stocking software and apple hardware (Brisbane anyway) is woeful.

..yup, but for the average user, the Apple has most bases covered, and there is the online Apple store for those of you who prefer 'clicks' to 'bricks'!
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Centurion
Actually agree with this. Apple machines are easy to use, are simply stunning and completely blow away my windows based system. I dont think my Mac has ever crashed. Ultimately though its a matter of personal choice and what you use the system for as many software packages are not available on a Mac. I can say that I prefer Mac Office for example but games are limited and in Australia the number of stores stocking software and apple hardware (Brisbane anyway) is woeful.
Yup, I have to agree also (reluctantly).....have used MACS extensively over the years. The current lapdog was a succesor to a 17" flatscreen iMac!

However, it is always a matter of personal preference...as we are not huge users, we find the simplicity of Windows more practical. If we want a piece of software, we go on line and DL it...something that with a MAC would take us maybe 5 times as long to find!

I agree MACS are superior, but the fact that they are not as common is a big hindrence!
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:53 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

..yup, but for the average user, the Apple has most bases covered, and there is the online Apple store for those of you who prefer 'clicks' to 'bricks'!
Fair play - I love my Mac so I'm not complaining
Old Nov 5th 2005, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light

Yup, I have to agree also (reluctantly).....have used MACS extensively over the years. The current lapdog was a succesor to a 17" flatscreen iMac!

However, it is always a matter of personal preference...as we are not huge users, we find the simplicity of Windows more practical. If we want a piece of software, we go on line and DL it...something that with a MAC would take us maybe 5 times as long to find!

I agree MACS are superior, but the fact that they are not as common is a big hindrence!
I used (Windows) PC's extensively - at work, at home, even bought the kids a laptop through a Company scheme

Switched to Mac's approx one year ago (Dual Processor Powermac G5 & iBook G4) and can honestly say it's the best thing I did

Now trying to get rid of PC's and kit the family out with Macs

Advantages:

They just do what you want them to do
No wasted time with anti-virus updates
Significantly less 'nagware' (pop-ups)..do you want to.....
MS Office Compatability
Integrates with Windows networks
OS X software includes pretty much the average user would need
No crashing
Tons of software (if you know where to look)
Seamless ipod integration

Disadvantages:

Slightly more expensive (in the long term?)
Perception that Macs are not good for games (I'm not a gamer at all but the kids did try James Bond 007 Nightfire on my G5 and it looked pretty good to me)

Slightly biased opinion I guess but recent research has shown the pendulum to be swinging away from Microsoft and more towards Apple

My advice would be that an iBook would more than meet the requirements of an average user

Cheers

BD
Old Nov 5th 2005, 12:41 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

or

Hiya,

I braught a nice one last year, and now it's BUST

I got used to the speed, the wide screen, the bruses on the legs because it was so heavy and the 43 min battery life!

Oh deer!

Back to the old Tecra Pentium 2.
at least it works.

So be prepared for your world to end if it ever breaks!

Mark
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya,

I braught a nice one last year, and now it's BUST

I got used to the speed, the wide screen, the bruses on the legs because it was so heavy and the 43 min battery life!

Oh deer!

Back to the old Tecra Pentium 2.
at least it works.

So be prepared for your world to end if it ever breaks!

Mark

I'll assume the spell check on your pentium is FUBAR then