Laptop options

Old Apr 14th 2005, 10:54 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Question Laptop options

My PC is 6 years old and has been upgraded for RAM (twice), CR_RW drive, USB hub etc etc but I think it is getting to the stage to issue a DNR order. The final straw is we cannot install the software for my daughters digital camera nor use Skype as it only has Windows 98 on it.

The plan was to get a new one as soon as we got to Australia but I am not sure if ours will survive until we leave (and, yes, whether I can I manage 8 weeks or so until the ship arrives without BE ).

So while thinking about replacing it in the UK now it crossed my mind that if we got a wi-fi enabled laptop we could take it as hand luggage and keep access to the net / email which would be handy looking for a job etc too.

But could those IT experts amongst you all please let me have some comments on the following:

I don't like the idea of making do with the small kepyboard, clit for a mouse, and tiny screen when at home so is it possible to plug in full size versions of these or do I need a docking station to get this? (How much?)

How does this wi-fi thing work? Do you need anything installed / paid for? (I read somewhere about signing up for Broadreach - what is that?) How secure is this?

How do I connect to the net at home? Do you have a cable link to the line when docked or do you need a piece of kit to do wi-fi at home? (Does that work slower than a fixed line?

Answers to these questions, or any I haven't even thought of yet, would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:07 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Laptop options

Originally Posted by worzel
I don't like the idea of making do with the small kepyboard, clit for a mouse, and tiny screen when at home so is it possible to plug in full size versions of these or do I need a docking station to get this? (How much?)
Now a days lappy comes with lot of USB ports normally > 3 nos.
Keybord = look out for ps/2 support in your lappy or purchase keybord that has USB interface
mouse = purchase USB mouse. Its readily avaialble. Dell optical mouse is good one.
you can connect your pc to TV or moniter.. should not be a problem. all lappys does provide Ports for that as well.

How does this wi-fi thing work? Do you need anything installed / paid for? (I read somewhere about signing up for Broadreach - what is that?) How secure is this?
Your lappy if you are planning to buy one with wi-fi will have chip on mother board that will sense that wirelss LAN option. Else you can verywell put a wireless card. But ensure that your lappy has wireless card bay.
As secure as your lan. Provided your gateway has all required firewall and other antivirus...What difference is between lan and wi-fi talking w/o technology.. I say nothing.. one has wire other dont...

How do I connect to the net at home? Do you have a cable link to the line when docked or do you need a piece of kit to do wi-fi at home? (Does that work slower than a fixed line?
If you have a broadband router (this you need to purchase if you are going for a broadband connection) and connection its all done. Since your broadband router can go in your USB or RJ45 (LAN cable port).
if you have dial-up still your lappy will have dial-up modem facility too..

Answers to these questions, or any I haven't even thought of yet, would be much appreciated.
If they are left then I should say look out for specficiations eg on:
http://www.samsung.com/in/products/notepc/index.asp
and select model P28 economy and go for features and later specifications....
you will see all the listed options of a ideal lappy libe wireless lan, bluetooth, USB etc etc...
it may just help you to segregate some information...

Hope I answer all your question.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:09 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Laptop options

I got a Dell laptop last year and you can buy a USB plug in keyboard and mouse, much easier for lots of typing!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:13 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
I got a Dell laptop last year and you can buy a USB plug in keyboard and mouse, much easier for lots of typing!
Hi Bridie - I think it is getting to the stage where you and I should have a dedicated hot line between us

Which model did you get? I just looked on their website and the one I was tempted with (9300 I think) was FROM £900. That seems a lot if I need to start buying a keyboard / mouse etc as well. Also, doesn't having those extras connected use up your precious USB ports?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:15 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

My PC is 6 years old and has been upgraded for RAM (twice), CR_RW drive, USB hub etc etc but I think it is getting to the stage to issue a DNR order. The final straw is we cannot install the software for my daughters digital camera nor use Skype as it only has Windows 98 on it.

The plan was to get a new one as soon as we got to Australia but I am not sure if ours will survive until we leave (and, yes, whether I can I manage 8 weeks or so until the ship arrives without BE ).

So while thinking about replacing it in the UK now it crossed my mind that if we got a wi-fi enabled laptop we could take it as hand luggage and keep access to the net / email which would be handy looking for a job etc too.

But could those IT experts amongst you all please let me have some comments on the following:

WiFi is a wireless network connection that generally works within a 50m range. People who use wifi at home have a wifiADSL modem router which hooks into the telephone line. Each laptop or PC which has a wifi card on board connects to the router. You can also use an ethernet cable to connect to an ADSL router.

There are often wifi access points in Starbucks, Maccas, hotels, airports etc. Some are free some aren't. At the moment there are 3 wifi standards a,b and g. b is about 10 mbs and g 50mbs. ADSL is only up to 1.5 mbs so wifi will not slow down your net connection.

Another alternative is something like www.iburst.com.au or www.unwired.com.au. You get a wireless modem that plugs in to your laptop that can be used where there is coverage. Have a look on the links to see if you would be covered. The services are slower and more expensive than ADSL.

You can buy normal keyboards and mice to plug into a laptop and most laptops have a plug that lets you use them with a normal monitor.

You get less performance for your money with a laptop, their lives are shorter, repairs more expensive (I advise 3 year warranties with them) and they are less expandable.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:23 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

You can plug them in. You're limited by the number of USB slots your PC has, but you can get a USB extension. (They work just like an electric socket extension lead.) These days though, laptops come with big screens, e.g. 17 inch (Have a look at www.dell.co.uk, then click on "notebooks".)

Your new PC needs to have the necessary "widget" inside. The one I know of is called "Intel Centrino", which is Linux based, but there are probably others. Have a look at this link:http://www.intel.com/products/centrino/index.htm

If you use wi-fi at home, then no cable (you can sit in the garden with your laptop on your lap and be connected to the internet). Yes, you do need a piece of kit to do wi-fi at home. However, just because your laptop is wi-fi enabled, does not mean you have to use wi-fi at home. You can still use the "traditional" methods at home, and use wi-fi on the road.

Yes, there are security issues (basically, you don't want the neighbours/passers-by use your internet connection for free).

Some other things to bear in mind: to use wi-fi "on the road" is not that easy: first you need to find a working hotspot (although there are directories to make that easier), and it's not free. The "hotspot" is basically someone else's internet connection; and you have to pay them for the use (with a credit card). Charges can be high (for example measured in half-hour slots), and the connection may not be reliable.

Wi-fi is great if you're based in an office, or at home if you want to use yoru laptop all over the house or garden, but if you're using it "on the road" to just check your emails, you may find it better to just head for the nearest internet cafe (you get a better connection, will be more comfortable ["hotspots" tend to be in public places, which means they are noisy]), and the internet cafe is likely to be cheaper.)

Obviously, if you're buying a brand-new laptop, rather than upgrading the operating system on your old one, then get one that's wi-fi enabled. That way, you keep all your options open.

Hope this helps.

Gina

P.S. Dell laptops start from £399 (Inspiron range). I've had an Inspiron for four years and no problems whatsoever. Also had several desktops over the years, and bought them for clueless mother-in-law, sister-in-law, and various friends and aquaintances. No-one I know has had any problems with them.

Last edited by GinaUK; Apr 14th 2005 at 11:27 am.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:24 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bridie - I think it is getting to the stage where you and I should have a dedicated hot line between us

Which model did you get? I just looked on their website and the one I was tempted with (9300 I think) was FROM £900. That seems a lot if I need to start buying a keyboard / mouse etc as well. Also, doesn't having those extras connected use up your precious USB ports?

LOL!

Right, got mine August last year so no doubt better ones out now, but it's an Inspiron 1150 P4 2.8GHz with 15" XGA screen, the keyboard and mouse I ordered at the same time (I think from memory the mouse was an extra £5 and the keyboard £7). I've got a USB hub that I got from Argos as I need extra USB ports for some of my audio equipment.

Total cost for the laptop was £800.18, which I didnt think was too bad but they I need mine for business when I get out there as well as "pleasure".

Worth keeping an eye out on Dell as they often have special offers.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:55 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!

Right, got mine August last year so no doubt better ones out now, but it's an Inspiron 1150 P4 2.8GHz with 15" XGA screen, the keyboard and mouse I ordered at the same time (I think from memory the mouse was an extra £5 and the keyboard £7). I've got a USB hub that I got from Argos as I need extra USB ports for some of my audio equipment.

Total cost for the laptop was £800.18, which I didnt think was too bad but they I need mine for business when I get out there as well as "pleasure".

We bought a Dell earlier this year, and I cant fault it. We have a USB mouse, but didnt bother with the keyboard. The laptop keyboard wasnt a problem to get used to. 2 USBs isnt really enough though, so as BridieJ mention, the USB hub is a godsend. I think we spent about 700, and so far so good. Its going to Oz as hand luggage, cant be without the net!!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!

Funnily enough, I'm looking at getting a new laptop here in Oz. I had a look at www.dell.com.au . The inspiron 9300 looks quite good, with 2.1 Ghz centrino, 17 inch screen and DVD/CD re-writer. I think it was quoting me $3900, which sounds alot, but I was being nice to myself and adding in the best graphics card and lots of other extras, I think the base price is $2900.

Its also on offer so they throw in a free printer all-in-one(scanner/fax) thing, which I don't want (I have a HP all-in-one already). They also come with wireless built in (the 802.11g version).

I did a price comparison between the Oz dell.com.au and dell.co.uk there is about $100 difference in the price, so I wouldn't bust your gut to buy it in UK if you think its going to save you money. However if you just want it NOW, then buy it in the UK, but be aware, you'll have to declare it and pay tax on it when you enter Oz. (or chance your arm )

Cheers,
JTL

Oh bridej I assume you meant your inspiron was 1.8 Ghz? I hope, cos their top of the range models now are only 2.3Ghz.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:19 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

If you get a laptop go for a dell.

You should be able to get a tax-free form filled out (you pay the VAT but you hand in the claim form at the airport to get it back), so make sure whoever you buy anything from can do that.

Personally, I think laptops are overpriced/underspecced. For £500 or less you can get a nicely specced Shuttle SFF (Small Form Factor) pc, including a bag to carry it in. www.micro-direct.co.uk is the best place for them, or www.ebuyer.com . Grab a foldable keyboard and a trackball and you`re laughing... much more power than a laptop, and much more upgradeable. Laptops are dead-ends. The only thing you miss out on is using it on trains etc. You`ll need to buy a monitor of course as well (from £40). I use mine at home and work (just take the beast and plug it into any monitor)... love it.

If you like that idea then I can help you choose the best config for your budget.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:30 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
However if you just want it NOW, then buy it in the UK, but be aware, you'll have to declare it and pay tax on it when you enter Oz. (or chance your arm )
Why? The UK vatman has already had his slice!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
Why? The UK vatman has already had his slice!
As Stormz above says, if you get a VAT claims form, and are prepared to go to the airport and claim back the VAT on it, then when you get to Oz, you pay the GST on it, so you've only been taxed once.

But most people cannot be bothered to find the office fill in the forms and claim back the tax at the airport on departure.

So you end up paying VAT in the UK, and GST in OZ.

Its just an added hassle,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Ohe thing I would check is their guarantee. We were looking at buying a Sony laptop but buying in the UK only gives you a European guarantee and Australia doesn't have the model we want
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spottydog
Ohe thing I would check is their guarantee. We were looking at buying a Sony laptop but buying in the UK only gives you a European guarantee and Australia doesn't have the model we want
A vaio? If so, definitely don't get a thin one, they don't like heat. You'll get away with it in the UK, but our is dying here, hence we are looking for a replacement.

The Vaio is improving now that the worst of the heat has passed, it can normally last for an hour or so. And as you say, no warranty

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:45 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly OT but if we buy something big at the airport, and hubby shows his aussie passport, they won't charge us VAT, but just GST in Aus when we arrive.

Could he buy, say a laptop, now but say he is Aus and get it VAT free or would he HAVE to provide his UK address

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.