Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Laptop/notebook whats the difference

Laptop/notebook whats the difference

Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:29 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Question Laptop/notebook whats the difference

Can someone please advise me, Im just looking on ebuyer.com I need to buy a laptop for internet access for when we go to NZ at the end of January. But there is so much choice and I dont know the difference between a laptop and a notebook can they both get internet.
Thanks
Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:31 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Laptop/notebook whats the difference

Originally posted by sky
Can someone please advise me, Im just looking on ebuyer.com I need to buy a laptop for internet access for when we go to NZ at the end of January. But there is so much choice and I dont know the difference between a laptop and a notebook can they both get internet.
Thanks
Notebooks are generally smaller. Both can get the net. Do you need a laptop as you will get more bang for your buck with a desktop when you get there.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:40 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply bondipom,
just thought it would be more convenient at first not bothered about having a super fast model as long as it does the job for internet access
Old Nov 18th 2003, 9:14 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

most notebooks will carry the same cpu speed /memory etc as a regular desktop.But you do pay heaps more to have all this technology in a nice small bundle(are very light to carry etc)

Would always go laptop over Notebook(more or less same except laptop slightly more bulky but cheaper as a rule)
Would also go laptop over desktop for the simple reason of being portable-just my preference

Once it has a modem you can get internet.
If you want to get all techie then you start to worry about upgrade ability and all that stuff but if you see your self on the move or even wanting to watch TV in one room and your pc is in a different room then the laptop is great(its simple things like that which decide it for me)

Laptops have come down nicely in price now to make them worth while purchases.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by seang
most notebooks will carry the same cpu speed /memory etc as a regular desktop.But you do pay heaps more to have all this technology in a nice small bundle(are very light to carry etc)

Would always go laptop over Notebook(more or less same except laptop slightly more bulky but cheaper as a rule)
Would also go laptop over desktop for the simple reason of being portable-just my preference

Once it has a modem you can get internet.
If you want to get all techie then you start to worry about upgrade ability and all that stuff but if you see your self on the move or even wanting to watch TV in one room and your pc is in a different room then the laptop is great(its simple things like that which decide it for me)

Laptops have come down nicely in price now to make them worth while purchases.

Definately a laptop, i can sit and watch the news and chat on the forum with my laptop on my lap! great! i love it, can even take it to mums for the day! Sky i have just got the Compaq Presario 2100 which is great, i love it, best xmas present i have ever had!
regards
rach
Old Nov 18th 2003, 9:27 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

My preference for desktop is that I build my own (not for most). If something goes wrong the parts are replaceable and I enjoy the playing around. If I had the money I would have a notebook as well.

As far as cost goes from www.dell.com.au

Basic desktop $1098
Basic notebook $1798
Old Nov 18th 2003, 9:39 pm
sky
Banned

Thanks for the replies everyone
I have just done a search for laptops on here and some peeps were mentioning Staples so I might go have a look see tomorrow
Old Nov 18th 2003, 9:52 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by sky
Thanks for the replies everyone
I have just done a search for laptops on here and some peeps were mentioning Staples so I might go have a look see tomorrow
a mate of mine bought one of their 'own' make brands. I can't remember the name of it i'm sorry to say. It certainly does the job he wanted it to do, namely design and basic web production. It came with a wider screen display than the standard squar(ish) display's as it had a dvd player with the controls actually on a small panel to the side of the keyboard. I'm sure he said he can play a dvd without booting up the laptop, but i may be wrong on this. It also came with all the usual bells and whistles you'd expect from any 'well known' make. He's had it nearly a year now and it's still going strong.

They also did a good finance deal with it, buy now and pay nothing for 12 months. Unfortunately for him though, his wife is due to give birth to their second sprog the same month he has to now pay for the laptop so he's cr@pping himself as he can't afford anything!! I don't think he was expecting a baby in with the deal though.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

topcat is an unknown quantity at this point

If you do go for a laptop/notebook don't be temped to go for a big screen if you're going to be carrying it (and its power supply)around a lot as they are just too heavy... Also watchout for the bags, the freebie with mine has thousands of useless pockets and almost doubles the weight of the whole thing.

Now I have a lightweight rucksack, but get asked to open it up everytime I leave a shop grrr...

TC

Last edited by topcat; Nov 19th 2003 at 2:53 am.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 5:24 am
WBB

i have both a laptop and desktop at home and 99% of the time i use the lappy, simply because it is portable on a wireless network.

Old Nov 19th 2003, 7:09 am
sky
Banned

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i have both a laptop and desktop at home and 99% of the time i use the lappy, simply because it is portable on a wireless network.
Yes we have a desktop and are taking it with us (fingers crossed it will survive shipping) but I thought I would treat myself to a laptop so that I can still stay in touch whilst that is in transit.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 9:31 am
WBB

Originally posted by sky
Yes we have a desktop and are taking it with us (fingers crossed it will survive shipping) but I thought I would treat myself to a laptop so that I can still stay in touch whilst that is in transit.

it is well worth getting a laptop, i thought i would not use it much but i use it a lot more.

Old Nov 19th 2003, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
And you can do what your Simpson friend is doing at the same time!! (I don't know the Simpson's at all so in my ignorance is that Bart?).

Not many (any?) have mentioned that generally speaking the laptop has a bigger keyboard than the notebook so for touch typist such as moi the former is more preferable although I've got to say most laptop keyboards are c**p compared to those on the desktop. I know a few people who attach a standard keyboard to their laptop or notebook. The other issue is monitors but nearly all now have TFT displays which are much more preferable to dual scan. Most desktops in the stores seem to have TFT displays but is it just me - I find a good old cathode ray tube monitor superior (yep, it takes up more room).

OzTennis

P.S. I have a friend who always says (in correspondence!) that she is losing her LABtop. I subtly asked her once where is it sitting (on her lap) but she said it's on the desktop.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 9:58 am
sky
Banned

Thats a thought I cant stand fiddley keyboards
Thanks
Old Nov 19th 2003, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis

P.S. I have a friend who always says (in correspondence!) that she is losing her LABtop. I subtly asked her once where is it sitting (on her lap) but she said it's on the desktop.
Um.. friend is using her laptop it's me that's losing it

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.