laptop

Old Oct 29th 2003, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

sashadan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default laptop

at some stage i will be boxing my pc stuff(monitor/tower/printer/scanner.)
i want to buy a laptop soley to access web from uk& oz(hotels etc) looking for house to rent/car to rent or buy.when my container catches up ,i will then use my old pc.

can any one tell me if this will do the job for the right price
thanx

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/320_128171.html

hew + pack £799.99 inc floppy drive

Last edited by sashadan; Oct 29th 2003 at 11:18 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: laptop

Originally posted by sashadan
i want to buy a laptop soley to access web from uk& oz(hotels etc) looking for house to rent/car to rent or buy.when my container catches up ,i will then use my old pc.

thanx

Yes that will do the job, I have been using the model below that (ZE4214S) for six months, I bought it for exactly the same reason as you want to. It has got enough power for gaming too, but I would recommend doubling the ram, to 512mb. The ram cost £26 from www.crucial.com/uk and made the laptop a joy to use.

My one came from staples and has a three year international warranty. I would recommend buying a top brand like this instead of a no-name with more power or less cost.

Phil.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

thanx

Just the sort of post i have been looking for!
hubby is going to buy me a laptop for christmas, seen an Acer 242LCE with intel celeron 2.4Ghz processor, 256mb DDR Ram, 30GB hard drive, DVD rom & CD rewriter etc. what do you think of this one? its £699.98 in Curry's going to talk the assistant into throwing in a case too as it'll be a cash purchase!
regards
rach
Old Oct 29th 2003, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by nosuchluck
hubby is going to buy me a laptop for christmas, seen an Acer 242LCE with intel celeron 2.4Ghz processor, 256mb DDR Ram, 30GB hard drive, DVD rom & CD rewriter etc. what do you think of this one? its £699.98 in Curry's going to talk the assistant into throwing in a case too as it'll be a cash purchase!
regards
rach

thanx guys

dont forget to compare it at
http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/search.jsp?c...LCE+&x=25&y=11

might be able to get currys to knock abit off

Last edited by sashadan; Oct 29th 2003 at 7:04 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

thanx guy

dont forget to compare it at
http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/search.jsp?c...LCE+&x=25&y=11

might be able to get currys to knock abit off
Hi Sashadan
i looked at kelkoo.co.uk and dabs.com prices weren't that much cheaper! i just want a laptop to surf the net, emailing and letters on word really, so don't need anything fancy! the acer i have found is the cheapest i've found so far and seems to do everything i need it to!
best wishes
rach
Old Oct 29th 2003, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...=uk&l=en&s=dhs

bit cheap,whats the catch??
Old Oct 29th 2003, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nosuchluck
regards
rach
If you lot could see this little fellow shovelling coal to keep mine going you wouldn't worry about how many giggs man utd have got
Old Oct 29th 2003, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a word ofwarning about Acer - the recharge circuit went on my travelmate, phoned them up as it was withing the warranty period, no probs, told me to get dhl to pick it up, gave me their account details and it was picked up next day.

They said it could take up to two weeks to fix - three weeks later, had heard nothing so I phoned them again; it was signed for at the repair centre I sent it to, but they were doing dome refurbishments so sent it on to another one - they have no record of receiving it - a week later I've phoned them again and they've had no luck finding it so they're going to replace it, which is good but I've been without my laptop for four weeks (I need it for work) and they havent even apologised for losing it!

Luckily I backed up all my work stuff that was on there but I'd started putting all my vinyl on there in preparation for going to nz so I could get rid of all the vinyl and that's lost!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

ok,i've just spotted that the 2 cheapest (dell+acer)have no floppy drive ,but the hp has.
??
Old Oct 29th 2003, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/stor...ory_oid=-11029
£749.99 toshiba with floppy

Last edited by sashadan; Oct 30th 2003 at 2:13 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by philj6969
Yes that will do the job, I have been using the model below that (ZE4214S) for six months, I bought it for exactly the same reason as you want to. It has got enough power for gaming too, but I would recommend doubling the ram, to 512mb. The ram cost £26 from www.crucial.com/uk and made the laptop a joy to use.

My one came from staples and has a three year international warranty. I would recommend buying a top brand like this instead of a no-name with more power or less cost.

Phil.

just spoke to staples http://www.staples.co.uk/ENG/StoreLo...ator.asp?ID=02

they say that 30% is being knocked off marked pc prices.lap top starting at £500ish.(no details available on web site)
i will pop down when i have a bit of dosh.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/stor...ory_oid=-11029

£749.99 toshiba with floppy
sashadan, you may want to look at this one.

DABS laptop - £628.62 (inc VAT)

It's a lower spec but you may think it's up to what you need it to do.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

bargin or what??!!

saw a HEWLETT PACKARD
ZE4410EA

at comet for 799.99

thought i'll try staples as suggested by philj6969 (not even knowing they even did pcs)

phoned them,they said come down as they are reduced down .
went down there(brent x).was a bit peed off to find that they were getting rid of damaged/faulty/incomplete/used returned ones,when they are gone,then they will bring brand new ones in.
any way i asked the guy (showed him web print out)how much would you normally charge for this,he said 749.99,i said good price,i'll probably buy one from here eventually.
he said we 've got one here,returned by a customer due to a faulty battery(which turned out to be only a loose connection,)going for 637.99,
i thought great price,he continued but we'll give it to you for 599.99, i thought blimey,betterprice.my wife said how about throwing a carry case in for it? he replied yes.
i said what about the guarantee,he said it will be guaranteed no differant than a new one.

so i got it a http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/320_128171.html
good as new
for £599.99 inc case

bargin or what

thanks philj6969 for pointing me to staples

and everyone for replies
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:57 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by young_lad
sashadan, you may want to look at this one.

DABS laptop - £628.62 (inc VAT)

It's a lower spec but you may think it's up to what you need it to do.

Hey what a great deal. You can not do much better than a Toshiba.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

bargin or what??!!

saw a HEWLETT PACKARD
ZE4410EA

at comet for 799.99

thought i'll try staples as suggested by philj6969 (not even knowing they even did pcs)

phoned them,they said come down as they are reduced down .
went down there(brent x).was a bit peed off to find that they were getting rid of damaged/faulty/incomplete/used returned ones,when they are gone,then they will bring brand new ones in.
any way i asked the guy (showed him web print out)how much would you normally charge for this,he said 749.99,i said good price,i'll probably buy one from here eventually.
he said we 've got one here,returned by a customer due to a faulty battery(which turned out to be only a loose connection,)going for 637.99,
i thought great price,he continued but we'll give it to you for 599.99, i thought blimey,betterprice.my wife said how about throwing a carry case in for it? he replied yes.
i said what about the guarantee,he said it will be guaranteed no differant than a new one.

so i got it a http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/320_128171.html
good as new
for £599.99 inc case

bargin or what

thanks philj6969 for pointing me to staples

and everyone for replies
Doh!!

That is 2 models higher than my laptop for £300 less, and mine is not quite six months old yet!

Its nice to have been able to help someone though.

Phil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.