Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Landlords Insurance whilst Overseas

Landlords Insurance whilst Overseas

Old Jul 31st 2012, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light
Default Landlords Insurance whilst Overseas

Hi

If you have kept your property in the UK and rent it out. What landlords Insurance do you use ?

We have been using Simple landlords, but just found out that we are not covered as we are not in the UK for 6 months of the year.

Would be interested to hear other peoples choices so that we can get some quotes

Thanks

Stuart
Old Jul 31st 2012, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Landlords Insurance whilst Overseas

We use Hamilton Fraser

http://www.hamiltonfraser.co.uk/landlord/index.aspx
Old Aug 1st 2012, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

barney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant future

We use ukinsurancenet and cia insurance.

Last edited by barney41; Aug 1st 2012 at 6:49 am.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:33 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu Ward View Post
Hi

If you have kept your property in the UK and rent it out. What landlords Insurance do you use ?

Stuart
http://www.letsure.co.uk/landlords/default.aspx
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stu Ward View Post
Hi

We have been using Simple landlords, but just found out that we are not covered as we are not in the UK for 6 months of the year.

Would be interested to hear other peoples choices so that we can get some quotes

Thanks

Stuart
https://homelet.co.uk/
Old Aug 1st 2012, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

We use http://www.paymentshield.co.uk/
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

Gosh I hadn't even thought about cover if not in the country, we have legal and general, guess I should check.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

Am trying to do this from Aus too and am struggling. To get a quote you have to complete your UK address and phone numbers etc. It was a few years ago that we did it first, whilst we were still in the UK and I seen to remember struggling to find someone that would insure the house as we were not in the UK. Will try the links posted and see how I go but have any of you had problems renewing or contacting them? Lots of them only have phone numbers, not much use to me. The reason I'm changin is because I can't contact them, other than letter (that they don't respond to) or by phone. Thought in this day and age it'd be easier with e-mail etc but seems not where Insurance companies are concerned. Look forward to hearing your experiences.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

Hi. Have spent the last few days e-mailing a lot of these companies and trying to obtain quotes as not a UK resident. Most of them won't cover me for that reason but I've finally got one through http://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/.
Their communication's great too.

My new policy is 164.00 pounds and covers landlords and building.
Good luck.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of

Hi Stuart,

I use Norwich Union via an Insurance Broker. Obviously I'm biased because I used to work for them but I'm confident the policy gives good cover.

Some insurers do an owner/occupier policy with a wee added on endorsement to change it to Landlord's insurance e.g. when you have insurance arranged through a mortgage company and you ask to change it, but it's not the same as having a policy specifically aimed at Landlords which gives more comprehensive cover. I think it's safer to go with one of the big insurers.

Watch out for unoccupancy clauses, if your tenants move out you might find the property has to be checked every fourteen days, letterbox boarded up etc. Going through a broker is good because if there is a claim they have more clout with the insurers than an individual and also they are legally obliged to check that the policy matches your needs.

I think the problem with not being a UK resident might be that the insurers/brokers are regulated and only licensed to operate within the UK. Mabye if you say you are temporarily in Australia and that the property remains your main residence then they will do business with you?

Good luck.

Carz
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:02 am
Just Joined

donttellmyboss is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Direct Line landlords insurance. I spoke openly about emigrating and any restrictions this may cause, but nothing. The policy is quite thorough as well and covers quite a lot of scenario's, including emergency cover for any broken pipes. We have a 2 bed terrace valued about $125k and the policy costs £17 per month. I seem to remember it has to be paid out of a UK bank account.