Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Landlines, Foxtel and Telstra

Landlines, Foxtel and Telstra

Old Oct 25th 2013, 1:52 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Landlines, Foxtel and Telstra

Telstra have just informed us that they're putting their prices up and I'm on the hunt for a better deal. Although I'm usually pretty good with research, the number of companies and plans available is defeating me.

The main sticking point seems to be our Foxtel subscription, which I think can only be done through Telstra or as a stand alone? (ie not through another landline provider).

The most expensive item on our phone bill (apart from Foxtel) is calls to the UK.

Any leads appreciated, even pointers towards comparison websites etc. Cheers.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 2:47 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landlines, Foxtel and Telstra

Hi,

I've been using Pennytel for calls to the UK for years. It's 8c per call no time limit: https://www.pennytel.com.au

As for Foxtel, don't use Telstra for billing, go direct with Foxtel then call them and negotiate the price, you should be able to get approx. 50% discount. You can't do that is Telstra bill you for Foxtel.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 8:22 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

TPG... Unlimited broadband, calls to mobiles in Australia and countries including the UK

TPG ADSL & HomePhone

Just make sure you read the small print as if purchased online, there is no cooling off period.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 8:38 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Well, first off check if you need to have a Telstra line where you are, if you are on a RIM, you do. That would limit you.

If not, then I'd suggest going VoIP, since you can get a 'naked' broadband service and then use a VoIP box to do away with the conventional line - and only pay a fraction of the Telstra amount. You can also get a UK VoIP number and route it through to here, so people can ring a UK number, and you can ring out.

As for Foxtel, I thought they had done away with the telephone requirement. Either way, for movies you are probably better off getting a US Netflix account - better selection, lower cost. About the only thing Foxtel is good for is local sports.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 1:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll do a bit more reading, and try to overcome my fear of 'landline separation' :-)
Old Oct 25th 2013, 1:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ainitcskarachi
Use Skype or Viber as its way cheaper.
Doesn't help with regard to Foxtel though.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 1:30 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Doesn't help with regard to Foxtel though.
No - and I'm not sure the old head can work its way around this internet telephone call thingy. I'm going to take Renth's advice and ring Foxtel to get a better deal, and get them to bill me direct.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I've been using Pennytel for calls to the UK for years. It's 8c per call no time limit: https://www.pennytel.com.au
Now that Pennytel is in liquidation, and MyNetFone is apparently picking up the customers wonder how things will go?
Old Oct 25th 2013, 9:15 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Now that Pennytel is in liquidation, and MyNetFone is apparently picking up the customers wonder how things will go?
Yes, ironic, I've used them for years, recommend them here and within hours get an email telling me they are going under.

It's a pain because it took me ages to set up my VOIP router, I guess I'll have to do it again...

To the OP, yes get Foxtel to bill you but give it a couple of months before you ring up and ask for the discount, ask for the discount as you come to the end of your contract.

I cancelled Foxtel for good the other day, I'm all about my Roku these days:

http://www.roku.com
Old Oct 26th 2013, 12:43 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by renth
Yes, ironic, I've used them for years, recommend them here and within hours get an email telling me they are going under.

It's a pain because it took me ages to set up my VOIP router, I guess I'll have to do it again...

To the OP, yes get Foxtel to bill you but give it a couple of months before you ring up and ask for the discount, ask for the discount as you come to the end of your contract.

I cancelled Foxtel for good the other day, I'm all about my Roku these days:

http://www.roku.com
Sod's law, Renth

Thanks for the tip re Foxtel. We got it years and years ago, so don't have a contract, do you think it's still best to wait after getting them to bill us direct, or can I try to get a discount at the same time?

We hardly ever watch movies, we use it to watch football (proper football, not AFL ), channel 13 and UK TV. We have Setanta as well but it doesn't show all the EPL matches.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 1:57 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Thanks for the tip re Foxtel. We got it years and years ago, so don't have a contract, do you think it's still best to wait after getting them to bill us direct, or can I try to get a discount at the same time?
Wait until Foxtel are billing you direct then ring up to cancel... have a read of this too: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2126752