Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Landline phone in a rental?

Landline phone in a rental?

Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough
Default Landline phone in a rental?

I have a few questions about landline phone in Aus.

Roughly how much does it cost per month?

Which is the best company?

Is there a BT equivalent, i.e someone who owns the lines?

How much is broadband?

And importantly how long are you fixed in to a contract for?
Old Feb 24th 2008, 11:22 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landline phone in a rental?

It costs us about $40 per month, we're with Telstra (equiv of BT). Broadband for a basic package is about $30 a month (very slow with low download limits), I have the superfast package as my work pays which is $80 odd per month for 1.5Gb speed and lots of download limit.

Broadband is far dearer and far crapper here than the UK. You learn to live with it.

Buzzy
Old Feb 25th 2008, 12:01 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

The cheapest monthly line rental is about $20 a month (think mine is about $21 through Telstra - no frills cheapo phone line). I use the mobiles most of thetime anyway andonly have the home phone because you need the phone line for hte internet!

Shop around for internet - Telstra are crap....you can get good deals with good speed and lots of download space for less than $40......

My mate is an IT nut (programmer by trade) who has a superfast connection at home with near to unlimited download for $35..... I can ask him who his provider is if you like?

The only annoying thing is that most have a 2 year contract....so if you choose the wrong provider and realise that there is a better deal its already too late and your stuck with the same mob for 2 years!!!!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 12:46 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Broadband is far dearer and far crapper here than the UK. You learn to live with it.
It doesn't have to be crap....there are plenty of providers offering 24Mbps ADSL2+ (not sure what you mean by 1.5Gb speed?).....like many people on here I will sing the praises of iinet. Decent broadband bundle with phone rental works out about $80-90 a month.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 1:01 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
It doesn't have to be crap....there are plenty of providers offering 24Mbps ADSL2+ (not sure what you mean by 1.5Gb speed?).....like many people on here I will sing the praises of iinet. Decent broadband bundle with phone rental works out about $80-90 a month.
Ha ha sorry meant 1.5Mb speed which is the maximum available in my area, which is 25ks from Melbourne CBD.

ADSL2 not available to me.

Buzzy
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Optus cable and get 12Mbps on speed tests. Pay $60 for broadband and allowed 12GB peak and 24GB off-peak.

My line rental is $24 per month.

Currently looking at VOIP. At the moment with Optus it is 3c/min to call UK. With Voip it is 8c for as long as you want.

Also, with voip you can get a UK number for the folks back home to ring. http://www.coms.com/ My concern here is they forget you are in Aus and ring me whilst I am asleep.

Suggest you read the voip section of Whirlpool for more info.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/
They also discuss the different providers.

Pennytel has the 8c calls to the UK. http://www.pennytel.com/

Another Whirlpool favourite is MyNetFone https://www.mynetfone.com.au/whirlpool

Gotalk has an eat as much as you want for $14.95 http://www.gotalk.com/Products/VoIP/...9/Default.aspx

You need to set-up an ATA with your router or do what I am doing and wait to get one of these (cheaper - I only want to pay $200 max) http://www.telephonesonline.com.au/c...price_SIP.html

Then, I'll get a VOIP number for my daughter and tell the system to ring her phone only when it rings.

Get accounts with a few providers just in case one goes down. Try the nil monthly charge first before committing yourself.

I spoke to my sister last night using Pennytel and it was as good as the usual tdm call via the normal phone.

Optus contract is 12 months minimum, VOIP providers 1 month.

Ian
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the replies!

So can you get landline for 3-6 months at an address or is the minimum contract a year?
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andym79
Thanks for the replies!

So can you get landline for 3-6 months at an address or is the minimum contract a year?
A minimum of 12 but you can buy yourself out on a pro-rata basis.

You can just rely on Voip provided you have broadband and then it's one month on a $5 pre-pay.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

If you are really just after broadband and are happy to use mobile for other calls then iinet offer Naked DSL where you don't have to pay for line rental. Plus you get a VOIP phone anyway.

http://www.iinet.net.au/products/naked/

You can get this with no minimum contract if you are prepared to stump up the $150 fees.

I think this product has been so popular however that they are having some delivery issues.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

So I can't get a landline for less than a year, unless I give Telstra free money?

And unlimited broadband for £12 a month is a dream Australia has not realised!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:58 am
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andym79
So I can't get a landline for less than a year, unless I give Telstra free money?

And unlimited broadband for £12 a month is a dream Australia has not realised!

Australia is the land that Broadband forgot, Andy!!!!

We're with Telstra - and to be honest they are better than Optus, but not much.... At least you get speak to an Australian if you phone Telstra..
We've got our broadband with Internode... www.internode.on.net - I don't think there's any tie-ins with internode- or at least there wasn't when we signed up. They seem pretty good.. although they do charge $99 dollars everytime you move - which has been 3 times in the last 18 months for us... so moving works out to be quite an expense over here!!

Good luck with your telecommunications decisions!
Sonic
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:13 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by SonicBird
We're with Telstra - and to be honest they are better than Optus, but not much....
Oh god....I can't warn you off Optusnet enough......truly diabolical.....don't even consider going there. Makes me just thinking about it!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:32 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

We are just about to move house and were thinking that maybe we wont bother getting a landline connected (we are with Telstra now and have been for 8 months) can we still get interent?? we both have mobiles...mine is with vodaphone and oh is Telstra...is there such a thing as true 'wireless' internet or through your mobile? is it dear? we dont use our landline...we use skype/msn live to chat to people.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:40 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Shortlets
We are just about to move house and were thinking that maybe we wont bother getting a landline connected (we are with Telstra now and have been for 8 months) can we still get interent?? we both have mobiles...mine is with vodaphone and oh is Telstra...is there such a thing as true 'wireless' internet or through your mobile? is it dear? we dont use our landline...we use skype/msn live to chat to people.
Yup there are products like this:

http://www.three.com.au/threestore/m...Cap29_12.xhtml

I know someone who uses this in Mt Cotton and the coverage is fine so I'd expect most of Bayside to be good.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:51 pm
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yup there are products like this:

http://www.three.com.au/threestore/m...Cap29_12.xhtml

I know someone who uses this in Mt Cotton and the coverage is fine so I'd expect most of Bayside to be good.
Thanks for that...I'll have a look.