Reload this Page >

Land of opportunity

Wikiposts

Land of opportunity

Old Jun 30th 2003, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

paula m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Land of opportunity

I do read some very negative posts and just wanted to tell you our story in a nutshell.
We arrived in the counrty 18 months ago. I did have a job to come over to. and started work after a week. We arrived with $80,000 so were not in a position to get a house straight away. we rented and had a good look around. After 3 months we got a morgage and bought our dream home. It has 5 bedrooms a study an upstairs with a balcomy and sea views and a fantastic pool surounded by palms. It is a great house and we live in Mandurah which we feel is the best place around the perth area.
At this stage my husband still had not got a job so we managed on my salary and midwives dont earn a lot but it was fine. after a year we found that our house had risen by so much and my husband had a job so we thought about investing the banks money and we got another house, this one we rent to recent arrivals. 4 months later we were so booked up and turning people away that i rang the bank and asked if we could get another house, they said No worries!! so we did and we got the keys yesterday and the first family moved in today. Baldbutts you may know him!
I think we are en example to all we came here with $80,000 and we now have three houses. That would never happen in the uk. We still have no money mind you but we are happy and having a really good life and when we do eventually sell them we may have some money. In the man time we are meeting some really great people.
paula
Old Jun 30th 2003, 12:42 am
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

Glad it went well but disagree about it "never happening in the UK".

I arrived just over four years ago with the princely sum of £2K (yes, £2000). Now I have over £75k in equity, and will soon be buying a mortgage free place on the continent for holidays. Everything I buy is done without credit (I don't owe anything apart from a modest mortgage), and my wife doesn't have to work.

We have at least two long holidays every year (try spending £12k on a 5 star holiday in Mauritius when you are earning $NZ!) and next year we are not sure whether to go to Mexico or the Caymans (on top of the regularly European break, and trip to wifes family in Poland).

On top of that I know that my kids will not be bullied at school for being poms, they will be able to learn a new language and use it easily in its original country, and I won't have to refuse the simple things in life for them.

Life is what you make it. Some people feel like they need to leave the UK to achieve it and fair enough, but please don't try and say that it cannot be done here. People can and do make it here.

I have lived in the UK, US, NZ, Aus and HK, so I am not speaking without experience.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 12:53 am
gOD
Forum Regular

Sorry for sounding negative, I just hate to see people going over with no real experience and being sold pie-in-the-sky dreams.. Yes, it can be great, but a touch of realism never hurts.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 1:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry gOD, but I don't see Paula as peddling "pie in the sky dreams". She has simply told her story as it is, and its a very encouraging one. We've read plenty on here lately about the negative side of moving to OZ - give us a chance to read some of the positive ones as well!
Hope your good times continue Paula!
Old Jun 30th 2003, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Land of opportunity

Hi paula,
Thanks for sharing your story with us, it is makes a nice change to read a positive post.
I have got family in Halls head Mandurah and we are planning on heading out that way when the visa comes, good luck with your business and i hope you have a vacency for when we arrive !!
lucy

[i]Originally posted by paula m [/i
I do read some very negative posts and just wanted to tell you our story in a nutshell.
We arrived in the counrty 18 months ago. I did have a job to come over to. and started work after a week. We arrived with $80,000 so were not in a position to get a house straight away. we rented and had a good look around. After 3 months we got a morgage and bought our dream home. It has 5 bedrooms a study an upstairs with a balcomy and sea views and a fantastic pool surounded by palms. It is a great house and we live in Mandurah which we feel is the best place around the perth area.
At this stage my husband still had not got a job so we managed on my salary and midwives dont earn a lot but it was fine. after a year we found that our house had risen by so much and my husband had a job so we thought about investing the banks money and we got another house, this one we rent to recent arrivals. 4 months later we were so booked up and turning people away that i rang the bank and asked if we could get another house, they said No worries!! so we did and we got the keys yesterday and the first family moved in today. Baldbutts you may know him!
I think we are en example to all we came here with $80,000 and we now have three houses. That would never happen in the uk. We still have no money mind you but we are happy and having a really good life and when we do eventually sell them we may have some money. In the man time we are meeting some really great people.
paula
Old Jun 30th 2003, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Thanks for posting your fantastic story. I don't think you are talking pie-in -the sky, rather telling it like it is.

Gods user name says it all, he obviously thinks that he is!

Of course you can make money in the Uk as well, but thenyou end up spending most of it on holidays to get away from the place. £12 000 a year on a holiday means there must be something missing over here.

We have made quite a lot on houses in the uk, but we know where we'd rather live to spend it - Australia.

I hope things go as well for us as they have for you.

Best Wishes

Tina x
Old Jun 30th 2003, 4:32 am
Badge

The story it seems to me - is that everyone has made a packet on their house sales which has involved market forces and nothing else and a bit of luck!! This has happened in Aus and the UK.

Have to admit - 12k a year holidays seems excessive !!

I'm amused to read that twice now 2 people have said that by being in the UK they can give the kids the important things in life!! Which they couldn't do in Australia/NZ. This seems almost like a contradiction in terms and against the run of the grain espoused on this forum! Weather and outdoors is free last time I looked...shows cinema playparks cost..

Last edited by badgersmount; Jun 30th 2003 at 4:36 am.

Old Jun 30th 2003, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by paula m
paula
I do wonder why the Australian banks are so happy to lend money out based purely on the value of property and the projected income ie. rental income. It would worry me having three homes all with loans because you are relying on other people and a healthy economy to pay your mortgage. I know the UK banks are much stricter on their lending.

Hope all goes well for you but be careful about taking on too much debt.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 4:45 am
Badge

on the other it is as "safe as houses" - in a recesson I have been told rents increase or stabilise - no one wants to sell or buy - and people always want a roof over their heads...it's important to fix an interest rate though...

my opinion is that if you can afford to buy more then one home and have it covered by rent then you're laughing..you will always cash-in a generation down the line through boom or bust..

badgers

Old Jun 30th 2003, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gOD
Glad it went well but disagree about it "never happening in the UK".....
You're obviously being paid far too much....well, so you keep telling us........ .......but just remember that we're not all as talented as you!? We certainly couldn't match your lifestyle here. We & a lot of others on here are everyday folk who perhaps want something they can't get in the UK. Whether it just be something different, or the kind of house they couldn't have in UK.

Good for you if you can achieve what you want here, but I certainly can't.

Gra...

PS - I took Paula's "never happening in UK" to be relating to herself, which could well be true..
Old Jun 30th 2003, 5:52 am
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by tinaj

Gods user name says it all, he obviously thinks that he is!

Of course you can make money in the Uk as well, but thenyou end up spending most of it on holidays to get away from the place. £12 000 a year on a holiday means there must be something missing over here.

Tina x
Well done for being so judgemental. No, 12k doesn't mean there was something missing and I have only spent that much once. It is about being able to do it. Being able to see the world. Travelling is a great way to learn more about the world and gain experience. Living in the UK makes it much easier.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 5:54 am
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Gra.B
You're obviously being paid far too much....well, so you keep telling us........ .......but just remember that we're not all as talented as you!? We certainly couldn't match your lifestyle here. We & a lot of others on here are everyday folk who perhaps want something they can't get in the UK. Whether it just be something different, or the kind of house they couldn't have in UK.

Good for you if you can achieve what you want here, but I certainly can't.

Gra...

PS - I took Paula's "never happening in UK" to be relating to herself, which could well be true..
I never said I was talented. I am just an average joe who works hard (no harder than most probably!!) Like I said, everyone has different ideas but I just don't want to see people going over with the wrong impressions. I can be and have been positive on this forum, but the reality is, it will be harder there is you are not prepared, or don't know what to expect.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Kath
I do wonder why the Australian banks are so happy to lend money out based purely on the value of property and the projected income ie. rental income. It would worry me having three homes all with loans because you are relying on other people and a healthy economy to pay your mortgage. I know the UK banks are much stricter on their lending.

Hope all goes well for you but be careful about taking on too much debt.
If you never take risks you will never be rich, whereever you are, in my opinion their is more oportunity down here than in the UK so Good luck to Paula for grasping her opportunity and running with it.

Property is one of the safest investments because no matter what people cut back on they are always going to want somewhere to live and with the nubmber of people wanting to come to Australia their is no shortage of punters. Houseing is as Blue Chip an investment as you can get down under.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 12:27 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by paula m
paula

So you in debt up to your neck hoping that interest rates will not rise or the same nice bank that let you go over the top , will top you.
Good luck seen this loan now pay later lifestyle turn to dust before.
PS very easy to loan cash here but miss a payment and the roof falls in quicker that the sun rises, the banks love a mug punter and take the assets off you before you can sell them.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jun 30th 2003 at 12:44 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Going off the rails a bit, maybe should be a separate thread but I am amazed at how much debt young people get into here. My nephew has just bought a new UHT on finance and this weekend announced he is buying a house with his girlfriend. He is 20.
My neice has a big mortgage, finance on a new car and a new baby (not financed!). They seem to think nothing of it. It worries me a bit that this is the norm here or is it just my mad rellies.?Think I'd better start putting a few more cents in the kids saving fund.

Diane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.