Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Land and House price negotiations

Land and House price negotiations

Old Jul 26th 2004, 4:09 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough
Default Land and House price negotiations

When/If we get to Australia we would like to buy some land and have a house build. Whether we buy the land and house separately or as a package is there room for negotiation in the land and house prices that the land owners and builders sell for?

If we were buying an already built house from someone we would negotiate a price lower than the asking price if possible is this the same for land and house packages in Auz or is the price on the box the price and that's it.

Thanks
Old Jul 27th 2004, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Everything is negiotable, it just depends on the market conditions at the time and the pressure the seller is under to get a deal.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 12:30 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Land and House price negotiations

Originally posted by elksa
When/If we get to Australia we would like to buy some land and have a house build. Whether we buy the land and house separately or as a package is there room for negotiation in the land and house prices that the land owners and builders sell for?

If we were buying an already built house from someone we would negotiate a price lower than the asking price if possible is this the same for land and house packages in Auz or is the price on the box the price and that's it.

Thanks
Yes, it is actually possible to negotiate on House & Land packages. I didn't think it was myself, until I actually saw it done.

And that was at the time that house prices were going up almost daily. So, now that prices have stabalised, vendors should be even more open to negotiations.

Old Jul 27th 2004, 1:00 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Land and House price negotiations

Originally posted by elksa

Thanks
No to the actual building of a home..when you build a home there are fixed prices for things and can not be negotiated. you can delete unnecessary things off the home.. like say the house you've chosen the kitchen is in that price, and you don't want their kitchen.. well that can be deleted.

As for the rest it depends:

Mass land and house package releases are usually non negotiable. .. i.e. when you buy the land and the soon to be building of the house ( the house hasn't been built yet) all together in a package from the developer. Except in the cases of when you knock off a few of the "extras" in the building/fixed furnishings of the house to make it cheaper.. no these packages from developers/builders are normally non negotiable

If you are buying one after they have been physically built/completed by the developer/seller - ie the new home has already been completed/built, and is being sold that way.. yes I'd say negotiable. and I would put an offer below the asking price. The asking price is usually dearer than what it would have cost you to build and buy the plot before the house was built. Completed package homes are usually sold at a greater profit than buying a land and house package before it is completed... so you're really not getting anything cheaper than if you had bought a package before it was built package.. and chose your own package/building. You're actually paying more this way by buying a completed house and land package even when you knock them down on price.

land only - mass new release plots are normally non negotiable. You go to these estates when they have just released the land and can pick up a map from the office on site. On it will show all the plots marked out on it . The prices will be on each plot on the map - they tend to be non negotiable... but you can give it a try and may get lucky

Land that has been standing there for a while in these new estates , and are advertised.. are usually negotiable

Private sellers, and not developers/mass release plots - yes

I built. ( but not a house and land package) But I did look around at these estates with plots, and packages etc.. but didn't buy anything... these new estates around aren't really to my taste

I bought my land privately and paid less than the asking price . I didn't buy it from a developer, it was not a new release plot in a new estate.. i.e. it was just some Joe bloggs who had bought the land years ago and decided to sell for money reasons. I then found a builder and built.

My friend bought from a developer in one of these new estates.. the price of his plot was non negotiable, and certainly the building of a home from a builder is non negotiable

It sounds confusing I know ( but it's not really.. it's quite simple) .. You'll get the gist of it when you're here and look around at these things, and you will see what I mean.

Last edited by Ceri; Jul 27th 2004 at 2:28 am.