Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

LAFHA under threat

LAFHA under threat

Old Feb 6th 2012, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

saintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nice
Default Re: LAFHA under threat

Originally Posted by rld1177
Their view based on discussions and government contacts is some for of transitional arrangement might be put in place - something like for people on LAFHA now making under X amount (say 200K) conditions remain for one or two years and or gradually reduce. The thinking is this way the government captures more tax revenue right away from people moving in the next tax year, from people above the salary level (say 200K or whatever), and gradually from everyone over say a one or two year period.
That, would be excellent news and a seemingly fair and sensible solution. Anyone heard anything else on the matter?
Old Mar 9th 2012, 11:56 am
Just Joined

corinne1470 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LAFHA to go...

very sad to hear that this is looking like changing in a couple of months as it would have made a few thousand pounds difference but hey ho! Other people exploiting it as usual has spoilt it for the rest.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 1:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged
Old Mar 25th 2012, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

saintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nice

Has there been any further news on this story?

The original announcement was in November, but I've still not seen or heard any confirmation that LAFHA will be gone (for ex-pats at least) from July.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

monkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud of

There are a few interesting consultation replies online if you google ,one of which seems to suggest it may not even be legal to just cut it off without a transitional period but other than that, nothing.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyalan
There are a few interesting consultation replies online if you google ,one of which seems to suggest it may not even be legal to just cut it off without a transitional period but other than that, nothing.
I've googled news stories, but nothing as interesting as that comes up. Could you provide a link please?
Old Mar 25th 2012, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

spectralcluster will become famous soon enoughspectralcluster will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: LAFHA under threat

I used to get LAFHA. As other people have mentioned, if you have a family on a 457 and live in NSW then it's not clear just how beneficial it is. It's not just issues related to school fees, overseas visitor’s health cover, credit availability but also the risk of having to leave the country at short notice if you lose your job for whatever reason - what price do you put on that? I couldn't move to PR fast enough. For a single person it's a different matter.

One could argue that to a large extent LAFHA is an indirect rental subsidy benefitting landlords. In areas like the Northern Beaches they won’t be celebrating its potential demise anytime soon.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

monkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by saintstu
I've googled news stories, but nothing as interesting as that comes up. Could you provide a link please?
http://moorestephensresources.com.au...ion/Page1.html

http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?acti...02080819306426

theres a PDF on one of these that goes into quite alot of detail i think , not got time to check if its the right one at the moment.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

rld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud of

Ive been in Melbourne one week and have LAFHA lined up as soon as I confirm perm housing expenses, so if it cuts out I will only have it for 3 months but firms still seem to be lining it up for people. Note this was based on a 2 hour discussion with PWC tax in the USA, UK, and Australia (I am american, but lived in the UK for 8 years) and their view was it was 'likely' there might be a transitional arrangement, probably with a cap (over 200K no LAFHA, the usual free things to married with kids types vs singles (Singles might get 3 months transition, couples 6, married a year, that kind of thing). They told me a lot of the intial complaints were due to over 250K types landed it and living in 4K a month flats but I have no idea the initial politics behind it.

Id also add that people on these threads talking about costs were not joking - I moved from Denver, USA where I could get a 2 liter of Coke for 99 cents and just shake my head at them going for 4.5 here - but hey at least everything is 'made in Australia' so it is OK to pay 4 times as much for basic food items. I do seriously wonder how people support familes on 75k here even - Id estimate 75K here is like 30K in the USA if not 25K in cities outside of NYC - even NYC Id guess 45K gets you the same lifestyle. (I lived there for 3 years so have a sense for prices).
Old Mar 26th 2012, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyalan
http://moorestephensresources.com.au...ion/Page1.html

http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?acti...02080819306426

theres a PDF on one of these that goes into quite alot of detail i think , not got time to check if its the right one at the moment.
Thanks for putting these up
Old Mar 29th 2012, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

no probs

yon might find this interesting too.

http://www.lafha-info.com/will-the-g...y-1-july-2012/

looks like someone didn't think this through properly.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.activpayroll.com/news-art...from-officials

With just over two months to go and no Treasury announcements or legislation yet in sight, unofficial Treasury comments suggest that companies should act as if LAFHA will become taxable on 1 July 2012.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LAFHA to go...

Originally Posted by corinne1470
very sad to hear that this is looking like changing in a couple of months as it would have made a few thousand pounds difference but hey ho! Other people exploiting it as usual has spoilt it for the rest.
We recently had a tax audit where they literally went back 5 years over all LAFHA cases to review if the accomodation and food allowances were within reason.

While they did not find any issue as we maintain a robust policy, it makes you wonder the implications where junior managers on $120k were living in $2k per week properties.

It was suggested that if that occured the company would be liable for the FBT and penalties. Which raises thequestion on whether or how they wouldrecoup that from the employee?
Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:00 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LAFHA to go...

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
We recently had a tax audit where they literally went back 5 years over all LAFHA cases to review if the accomodation and food allowances were within reason.

While they did not find any issue as we maintain a robust policy, it makes you wonder the implications where junior managers on $120k were living in $2k per week properties.

It was suggested that if that occured the company would be liable for the FBT and penalties. Which raises thequestion on whether or how they wouldrecoup that from the employee?
$2000 a week?? Jeez, thats ridiculous. But, as far as LAFHA goes, the property has to be a 'reasonable cost' for the locality and that is a really stupid way of defining anything. What is reasonable to one person could be intolerable to another and vice versa. So, if someone can get away with it then fine but its taking the p!ss a bit.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Hubby's firm limited it to 20k a year which is $550 a week for family of four (we pay slightly more) his conpany didnt take the piss, I wish more hadnt..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.