Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

LAFHA under threat

LAFHA under threat

Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of
Default Re: LAFHA

Originally Posted by mordechaivanunu
Hi
Wonder if anyone can answer this question for me?
I have been offered a job in WA for Chevron on the Gorgon Project I currently live in QLD on a permanent residency visa.
I was wondering if I will be eligible for the LAFHA?
My wife and three kids will be staying in our home (bought) in QLD
I will commute back home once a month (all cost incurred by me)
I will be renting whilst in Perth (payed by me)

Thanks for your assistance
My husband spoke with a LAFHA person here in QLD and we were told that he would still be eligible for it in this sort of circumstance as this is what LAHFA was originally intended for.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:21 am
LAFHA Professional

Ian Lindgren is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
My husband spoke with a LAFHA person here in QLD and we were told that he would still be eligible for it in this sort of circumstance as this is what LAHFA was originally intended for.
Hi,

Yes, the advice your husband was given was quite correct in terms of being eligible for LAFHA both now and under the proposed legislation.

And yes, it is also what it was originally intended for. So he is lucky all around!

Regards,

Ian
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:22 am
LAFHA Professional

Ian Lindgren is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by towers
Thanks Ian, have you heard anything about the "rumour" going around that they will stop new LAFHA applications from July 2012 but may extend the LAFHA scheme for another 12 months for those already on it?

My own two cents is that giving expats 6 months notice that our take home pay will be reduced by 20% is a little brutal - an amnesty would mean we could be better prepared for the hit.
Hi Towers,

I'd love to say "yes", but no, unfortunately I have not heard anything of this rumour. I do believe it to be just that...a rumour; something to be ignored. Extremely unlikely and probably spread by well-intentioned people with wishful intent!

I think it is a very short sighted decision by the Government, and it doesn't just hurt expats, it also hurts Aussie's that do not maintain their home in their normal home locality. So it hurts everyone. It is in essence a tax grab by the government so they can balance the budget. Most of their stated rationale is rather feeble in my opinion.

You’ll see why I say this because I am just trying to have the Government discussion paper added to my previous post. It dropped off. In fact I’ll add it to this post, so you can read it.

Sorry I can't be the bearer of good news!

Regards,

Ian
Attached Files
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

towers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ian Lindgren
I do believe it to be just that...a rumour; something to be ignored. Extremely unlikely and probably spread by well-intentioned people with wishful intent!
Wishful intent is all I have as a LAFHA loving, 457 visa holding, worried expat!

However I think the announcement in 2011 was classic politics - put the horror story of all the worst excesses out there and see how it plays. Let's be honest, taking away tax breaks for people who cant vote isn't exactly courageous. They've had a problem with LAFHA for years. This way they can really spook the people who lobby for it normally to the extent that they'll accept capping as a "better than nothing" option.

That's my prediction: Lafha will be capped, not abolished for people like me.

I hope.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of
Default Re: LAFHA under threat

A lot of people of here aren't eligible to vote in Australia, even as permanent residents. There have been massive abuses of the LAFHA system over the years. I think they are trying to right the wrongs that have been happening. People use the excuses about schooling fees and so forth but not every state imposes that plus that is never what LAFHA was intended for. But that is just my opinion.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:04 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by towers
However I think the announcement in 2011 was classic politics - put the horror story of all the worst excesses out there and see how it plays. Let's be honest, taking away tax breaks for people who cant vote isn't exactly courageous. They've had a problem with LAFHA for years. This way they can really spook the people who lobby for it normally to the extent that they'll accept capping as a "better than nothing" option.
LAFHA isn't a tax break for people who can't vote. Neither was it intended as an incentive for attracting overseas workers. Or as a tax break for them or their employers when they got here. This is the whole problem...LAFHA has been misused...the government seems to recognise that so I'm not sure why they would cap it...you're either genuinely incurring an expense because you're working away from 'home' or you're not.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:29 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
A lot of people of here aren't eligible to vote in Australia, even as permanent residents. There have been massive abuses of the LAFHA system over the years. I think they are trying to right the wrongs that have been happening. People use the excuses about schooling fees and so forth but not every state imposes that plus that is never what LAFHA was intended for. But that is just my opinion.
Funny, but those of us, who were basically rorted by the State of NSW for school fees, while on a 457, see that a little differently.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Funny, but those of us, who were basically rorted by the State of NSW for school fees, while on a 457, see that a little differently.
How were you 'rorted'? You knew the conditions when you applied for the visa surely?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

rld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
How were you 'rorted'? You knew the conditions when you applied for the visa surely?
By the logic, what do you think of these changes in respect to those already in Aus that used LAFHA as a decision point when they moved, and now stand to have this taken away? Seems like bait and switch to me.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:47 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rld1177
By the logic, what do you think of these changes in respect to those already in Aus that used LAFHA as a decision point when they moved, and now stand to have this taken away? Seems like bait and switch to me.
The question is who did the baiting?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rld1177
457s don't vote so I'm sure that the government does not give a shit. It's the same as the UK's excessive airport taxes (which have reached such a level that foreign leaders raise the matter when they meet Cameron) - foreign passengers cannot vote in the UK.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Amazulu
457s don't vote so I'm sure that the government does not give a shit. It's the same as the UK's excessive airport taxes (which have reached such a level that foreign leaders raise the matter when they meet Cameron) - foreign passengers cannot vote in the UK.
I'd be interested to know what % of LAFHA claimants are 457 holders?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:03 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
So what? The conditions that say just because you happen to be on a particular visa we can screw you for an additional tax that nobody else pays? Just because it happens to be a 'condition' doesn't mean it's right.

I've watched this thread on and off and its degenerated into the classic 'us and them' thread. Those who didn't get LAFHA give the impression that somehow they feel they were 'cheated'... and those that did get it pointing out that, for many of us, we also got banged for other taxes that clawed it all back again.
Funny how some people are happy to see the Government screw people... just so long as it's not them.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Jan 4th 2012 at 6:06 am.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

rld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Agreed on the airport taxes. What I meant was there are a lot of people over on 457s that came over with LAFHA as the tipping point or strong incentive to make the move worth it, and you could argue a change in a way is a retroactive change to their VISA conditions. Someone would bring this up in court and push for any changes only to apply going forward. This reminds me of what happened with the highly skilled visa in the UK (I was on it at the time there) where the government made retroactive citizenship requirements and a judicial review forced transitional arrangements. (I dont know if Aus courts are as active in these matters, however)
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:10 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I've watched this thread on and off and its degenerated into the classic 'us and them' thread. Those who didn't get LAFHA give the impression that somehow they were 'cheated'... and those that did get it pointing out that, for many of us, we also got banged for other taxes that clawed it all back again.
Funny how some people are happy to see the Government screw people... just so long as it's not them.
I couldn't care less if people take advantage of what's allowed within the tax system. I claimed a huge deduction for domestic travel expenses last year which in my opinion was completely ridiculous - but it was legit according to the rules so I did. If in subsequent years the government decided it was a tax ruling which was being abused and closed a loophole then so be it. Don't really see the them and us thing happening...some people are just objectively discussing why this is probably going to happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.