Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

LAFHA Eligibility?

LAFHA Eligibility?

Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

ahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura aboutahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura aboutahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura about
Default LAFHA Eligibility?

Hi ,

I have moved to Australia last Sept. I have managed to get an assignment from my current employer without actually resigning I was placed in Sydney on a short term assignment(6 months).

Now, my company doesnt provide me with the LAFHA as I have the permanent residency. My intentions are clear to settle down here so am I eligible for LAFHA? I am with my wife and a kid.

if yes, then how to go about it?

Many thanks for your time and answers.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LAFHA Eligibility?

Don't fully understand your post about not resigning but moving and Sydney.

However if you are planning to settle permanently, why would you be entitled to LAFHA?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

ahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura aboutahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura aboutahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Don't fully understand your post about not resigning but moving and Sydney.

However if you are planning to settle permanently, why would you be entitled to LAFHA?
well, one of my colleague told me the first year when we move here we are eligible for it. hence I was picking up on others views on this.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:09 am
LAFHA Professional

Ian Lindgren is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ahmedwaseem2000
Hi ,

I have moved to Australia last Sept. I have managed to get an assignment from my current employer without actually resigning I was placed in Sydney on a short term assignment(6 months).

Now, my company doesnt provide me with the LAFHA as I have the permanent residency. My intentions are clear to settle down here so am I eligible for LAFHA? I am with my wife and a kid.

if yes, then how to go about it?

Many thanks for your time and answers.
Hi,

Just so I am reading your question correctly, from what I can see you have moved to Australia to a city (not sure which one) and have PR, and your employer has temporarily placed you in Sydney for 6 months.

If this is the case, and your employer is intending to return you to where you first lived at the end of the 6 month period, then you are very likely eligible for LAFHA. If your wife and child remain at the original location while you are away, or your don't sublet the original home, then your will likely be eligible after 1 July when the eligibility crietria changes. The best way to find our it to be assessed. There are many companies that do this for free, and then if your are eligible, will ask you to pay for an assessment. I would not recommend looking for answers on theses forums if you want to provide formal answers that your employer and his accountant will need to assist you.

So take your pick of companies off the web, and don't forget you can consider PayMe. We have a handy LAFHA Calculator that will assist. We also advise your company how to impliment LAFHA, as do many other companies.

Regards,

Ian
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

well, one of my colleague told me the first year when we move here we are eligible for it. hence I was picking up on others views on this.
You just haven't explained what you mean very well.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian Lindgren
Hi,

Just so I am reading your question correctly, from what I can see you have moved to Australia to a city (not sure which one) and have PR, and your employer has temporarily placed you in Sydney for 6 months.

If this is the case, and your employer is intending to return you to where you first lived at the end of the 6 month period, then you are very likely eligible for LAFHA. If your wife and child remain at the original location while you are away, or your don't sublet the original home, then your will likely be eligible after 1 July when the eligibility crietria changes. The best way to find our it to be assessed. There are many companies that do this for free, and then if your are eligible, will ask you to pay for an assessment. I would not recommend looking for answers on theses forums if you want to provide formal answers that your employer and his accountant will need to assist you.

So take your pick of companies off the web, and don't forget you can consider PayMe. We have a handy LAFHA Calculator that will assist. We also advise your company how to impliment LAFHA, as do many other companies.

Regards,

Ian
No Ian. I think what he means is that he and his family have moved to Sydney. His employer from his home country has given him a 6 month contract in their Sydney office.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:07 am
LAFHA Professional

Ian Lindgren is on a distinguished road

Yes, It's a bit hard to tell!!!

We'll just have to wait until he confirms his situation. Certainly, if he has moved and is PR, then unfortunately he is unable to claim LAFHA.

Regards,

Ian

Last edited by Ian Lindgren; Jan 11th 2012 at 4:10 am.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ian Lindgren
Yes, It's a bit hard to tell!!!

We'll just have to wait until he confirms his situation. Certainly, if he has moved and is PR, then unfortunately he is unable to claim LAFHA.

Regards,

Ian
Yes, Dorothy is right. I have been placed by my indian company in the sydney office. since I hold the PR visa I am not being paid the LAFHA.

one more thing I would want to know is if my wife stays back at home taking care of our daughter. does that mean that I can get any additional tax savings for this?

Many thanks for all the nice people on this forum!!
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

You (very soon) apparently won't be able to claim it if you are living outside Australia originally.. From July I think.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, Dorothy is right. I have been placed by my indian company in the sydney office. since I hold the PR visa I am not being paid the LAFHA.

one more thing I would want to know is if my wife stays back at home taking care of our daughter. does that mean that I can get any additional tax savings for this?

Many thanks for all the nice people on this forum!!
No, why would you get tax savings because a mother is looking after her child.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

I was talking about the tax offsets given in the ato.gov.au
Old Feb 24th 2012, 9:22 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking about the tax offsets given in the ato.gov.au
No, you do not get tax breaks because you left your family in another country.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

they are with me now
Old Feb 24th 2012, 9:28 pm
Still alive

they are with me now
Ok then, go register with Centrelink and if you are eligible you will get child benefits.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Ok then, go register with Centrelink and if you are eligible you will get child benefits.
Thank you Dorothy!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.