Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

LAFHA in basic language...

LAFHA in basic language...

Old Jun 28th 2008, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

tinkerbelle146hp is a jewel in the roughtinkerbelle146hp is a jewel in the roughtinkerbelle146hp is a jewel in the roughtinkerbelle146hp is a jewel in the rough
Default LAFHA in basic language...

Hi I really don't understand the concept Of LAFHA.
we are going to Sydney 28th July on a 457 visa and my hubby's company are paying LAFHA, but how exactly does it work ??
Do you get the money in your pay ?? Or do you just pay less tax ??
Could some one explain in real basic terms for a dim person how this will benefit us ??Thanks in advance
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:48 am
Just Joined

siharmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LAFHA in basic language...

Hi,

I'm no expert on LAFHA but I came over here on a 457 and get paid it.

Basicly it means you get more cash in the bank each month. I think it works like this:

If you are being paid $80k you will get an allowance for rent and food which is tax free (the amount is dependent on circumstance ie. single, no. of children etc.

If your total LAFHA allowance comes to $25k, you will only pay tax on $55k. So in cash terms u'll be getting about $8k per year more than the non-lafha equivalent.

Hope that helps, the numbers I used are just to illustrate how it works, your company should provide you with a calculation of the allowances they have used.

Cheers

Simon
Old Jun 29th 2008, 2:34 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinkerbelle146hp
Hi I really don't understand the concept Of LAFHA.
we are going to Sydney 28th July on a 457 visa and my hubby's company are paying LAFHA, but how exactly does it work ??
Do you get the money in your pay ?? Or do you just pay less tax ??
Could some one explain in real basic terms for a dim person how this will benefit us ??Thanks in advance
You pay less tax. The LAFHA amount, both rental and food, is taken off of your earnings before Tax is applied, then given back.

You won't actually know anything about it, you just get your monthly salary as is. The only time you would ever notice any difference is if a work colleague who is on the same salary as you but not in receipt of LAFHA showed you their take home pay!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

TheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really nice

Originally Posted by paddyo
You pay less tax. The LAFHA amount, both rental and food, is taken off of your earnings before Tax is applied, then given back.

You won't actually know anything about it, you just get your monthly salary as is. The only time you would ever notice any difference is if a work colleague who is on the same salary as you but not in receipt of LAFHA showed you their take home pay!
Very much what Paddyo said (We Agree!!!)

It's a lovely little tax loophole because the accomodation amount is decided between you and your employer, not defined by the Taxman. It can be very good for your take home indeed.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 11:56 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheRutters
Very much what Paddyo said (We Agree!!!)

It's a lovely little tax loophole because the accomodation amount is decided between you and your employer, not defined by the Taxman. It can be very good for your take home indeed.
lol