Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For the ladies-FASHION in aus

For the ladies-FASHION in aus

Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

jsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant future
Default For the ladies-FASHION in aus

Ok ladies,
Im what they call petite (apparently) 151cm tall and 49kgs..and i find buying clothes in aus a nightmare, and i always have! trousers well i have to chop half the legs off, knee length skirts are at my ankles, and ankle length are on the floor!! while we were in the uk last year i didnt have the same problem, petite sizes are just that petite!! I find the same problem with shoes size 3 uk size 5 aus..most department stores in aus start at size 6!!
So ladies anyone else (and not just those petite ladies ) have this problem?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For the ladies-FASHION in aus

My daughter has the opposite problem being very tall she cannot get trousers, jeans long enough. When we took her to the UK at 15 we could not find any pants long enough.

I think the US has the right idea you select the length when buying jeans.

I would have thought it would be easy for petite people to find clothes here as we have a large chinese/asian population and they tend to be very small. I know a lot of the designer clothes are quite small. Charlie Brown often has very small sizes.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

jsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Petals
My daughter has the opposite problem being very tall she cannot get trousers, jeans long enough. When we took her to the UK at 15 we could not find any pants long enough.

I think the US has the right idea you select the length when buying jeans.

I would have thought it would be easy for petite people to find clothes here as we have a large chinese/asian population and they tend to be very small. I know a lot of the designer clothes are quite small. Charlie Brown often has very small sizes.
Hi Petals,
For me its not usually the "fit" its the length of garments, altho my wedding dress was a size 8 and i had to have that taken in and up..i detest spending money on clothes then having to take them up!! I have a friend who is tall she has the same problem as your daughter..as for designer clothes no thanks i think they are way over priced..and also the quality of clothing here ( designer or not ) is...ummm, trying to find a polite way to put it.. lets just say
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

sorry mods, i think i posted this in wrong place? should it be in the barbie? many thanks
jsvk
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:29 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Clothes in Aus.... Pah! Been here 9 months and can't bring myself to buy anything! (Seriously this is the longest I've ever gone Sans clothes shopping!)

Everything I like is either WAY TOO expensive (seriously, $120 for a blouse, that wasn't even that great, the sort of thing you could pick up in Next for £30, WTF?) or it looks like it'll fall apart after a couple of washes

I wouldn't mind so much but, well, the stuff comes from the same places as the clothes in the rest of the world (ie china, malysia, indonesia etc) Which are actually closer to Aus than Europe, but, it seems that we are expected to accept crappy clothes, that would be rejected by QC in Europe as unacceptable or pay through the bloody nose for anything halfway decent. Oh and long trousers..... Nope, not happening for me!

Take not notice of me, I'm just on a downer at the moment, OH has had to go back to the UK (no work for him here) and I'm feeling hard done by, so EVERYTHING that isn't good seems worse at the moment.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alipally
Clothes in Aus.... Pah! Been here 9 months and can't bring myself to buy anything! (Seriously this is the longest I've ever gone Sans clothes shopping!)

Everything I like is either WAY TOO expensive (seriously, $120 for a blouse, that wasn't even that great, the sort of thing you could pick up in Next for £30, WTF?) or it looks like it'll fall apart after a couple of washes

I wouldn't mind so much but, well, the stuff comes from the same places as the clothes in the rest of the world (ie china, malysia, indonesia etc) Which are actually closer to Aus than Europe, but, it seems that we are expected to accept crappy clothes, that would be rejected by QC in Europe as unacceptable or pay through the bloody nose for anything halfway decent. Oh and long trousers..... Nope, not happening for me!

Take not notice of me, I'm just on a downer at the moment, OH has had to go back to the UK (no work for him here) and I'm feeling hard done by, so EVERYTHING that isn't good seems worse at the moment.
Know exactly what you mean about the clothes lol sorry to hear your oh has had to return to the uk..its hard when they are not here..mine used to work 4 on and come home for 1 week and i hated that, but at least we were in the same country! have sent you some k
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I buy stuff on line and don't mind ezibuy stuff its quite good quality and reasonably priced and they have a sale on at the moment.

My daughter buys lots of clothes from the US and UK small outlets and has bought some quite stunning stuff, different to what is around in Aus. I think she is the Queen of the post office they trot up daily with a package for her.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:51 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsvk
Ok ladies,
Im what they call petite (apparently) 151cm tall and 49kgs..and i find buying clothes in aus a nightmare, and i always have! trousers well i have to chop half the legs off, knee length skirts are at my ankles, and ankle length are on the floor!! while we were in the uk last year i didnt have the same problem, petite sizes are just that petite!! I find the same problem with shoes size 3 uk size 5 aus..most department stores in aus start at size 6!!
So ladies anyone else (and not just those petite ladies ) have this problem?
have you tried Pumpkin Patch?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

There are a few shops that do good small sizes that actually fit. Mostly in the smart, worky category though. I havent really bought any casual clothes since being here, only work dresses and skirts. I just can't seem to find anything I like for casual wear.

I am too scared to buy online incase it doesnt fit or looks horrid when its on. How do you know you will like something before you see it on?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
have you tried Pumpkin Patch?
dd tried that one!! now when we go shopping she says "look ma your shop" so i got her a tshirt that says I WANNA BE LIKE BARBIE the look on her face was priceless..she dosent DO PINK!!!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
There are a few shops that do good small sizes that actually fit. Mostly in the smart, worky category though. I havent really bought any casual clothes since being here, only work dresses and skirts. I just can't seem to find anything I like for casual wear.

I am too scared to buy online incase it doesnt fit or looks horrid when its on. How do you know you will like something before you see it on?
me too otherwise i would have family sending me the uk catalogues but what happens if you dont like it when you try it on?? oh has nightmares about wardrobes full of clothes that dont fit me I have nightmares about PUMPKIN PATCH!!!!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Molko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=Petals;7693199
I would have thought it would be easy for petite people to find clothes here as we have a large chinese/asian population and they tend to be very small. I know a lot of the designer clothes are quite small. Charlie Brown often has very small sizes.[/QUOTE]

I was going to say Asians are not large people and have found that clothes in the Asian shops are too small for me.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Molko1974
I was going to say Asians are not large people and have found that clothes in the Asian shops are too small for me.
also the quality isnt great..i bought a nice black coat to take to uk last year in a shop that sells mostly asian made clothes..fit perfect but by the time we landed in uk 3 buttons had come off and over the next week i had to re sew all the buttons back on!!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Molko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jsvk
also the quality isnt great..i bought a nice black coat to take to uk last year in a shop that sells mostly asian made clothes..fit perfect but by the time we landed in uk 3 buttons had come off and over the next week i had to re sew all the buttons back on!!

I overheard a couple of ladies talking yesterday about ordering clothes from Top Shop. I'm wondering if they post to Australia. Haven't looked into it yet. Didn't Marks and Spencers start delivering to Australia.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Molko1974
I overheard a couple of ladies talking yesterday about ordering clothes from Top Shop. I'm wondering if they post to Australia. Haven't looked into it yet. Didn't Marks and Spencers start delivering to Australia.
I think they did..as i still have family in the uk, i have been thinking of phoning sis and saying get me some clothes that fit..only thing stopping me is she will i send her ugg boots for her birthday/xmas...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.