Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ladies!!! Clothes shopping question.

Ladies!!! Clothes shopping question.

Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ladies!!! Clothes shopping question.

Good god people you are not moving to war zone Iraq, they have good designer, non designer shops here, I think " Some" young people are better dress here anyway, but they dont have primark, so you have been warned.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

louemm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rabsody
Fo boutique shops try: paddington (latrobe terrace - lots here! petrol is particularly good), fortitude valley (james street, brunswick st, mall), hamilton (racecourse road) ... these are off the top of my head, I am sure there are many more in areas that I don't konw.

David Jones in the city is fab, it has lots and lots of different brands of clothing (think like a really well stocked House of Fraser). there are also boutiques in a couple of the malls in the city (brisbane arcade, the one next to the hilton and wintergarden).

Hope this helps!
that's great..thanks for your help. david jones i know well from my travels to perth last year...i bought lots and had to sit on my suitcase to close it when i went home!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sara1981

i think you're worrying about nothing, in fact something i find quite nice is that even though the sizing in the uk and australia is supposed to be equivalent, i find aussie clothes can be a bit more generous so i feel thinner lol!!
Sizing is supposed to be equivalent?

Never hear that before. In my 17 yrs flitting between the two countries, I was (for years and years) a size 12 in Oz and a 14 in the UK - in the same week...over and over again.

Now I am a 10 in UK and a 8 in Oz (and a 2-4 in US)
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

alexa7 will become famous soon enoughalexa7 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

Never hear that before. In my 17 yrs flitting between the two countries, I was (for years and years) a size 12 in Oz and a 14 in the UK - in the same week...over and over again.

yes, i heard that Oz size is down 1 size from UK. But re: US sizes, 10 UK is 6 in US, 8 UK is 4 in US and 6 UK is 2 in US...
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:25 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

The shops here are different yes, but no better or worse than the UK, just different!!!

They do seem to like patterned stuff more here though!!!

Target reminds me of BHS and Davis Jones (dj's) reminds me of Debenhams.

I also think clothes are cheaper too.

Can't commment on underwear as i stocked up with M&S undies before i had to give up my staff discount card!!!! C x
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexa7
yes, i heard that Oz size is down 1 size from UK. But re: US sizes, 10 UK is 6 in US, 8 UK is 4 in US and 6 UK is 2 in US...
Yep....my size changes...sometimes a US 2 is a tiny bit too small and a 4 is almost too big. I'd be most comfortable in a 5.....LOL.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexa7
Tis funny as i'm more of a size 10 in Aus and a size 8 in UK. *Sigh* the problem is sizes are not standardised anymore ... even within one country. Boys, think yourself lucky you don't have to wear bras ... it's impossible!!!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Yep....my size changes...sometimes a US 2 is a tiny bit too small and a 4 is almost too big. I'd be most comfortable in a 5.....LOL.
I'm the same! The size 8s are too small just (on the waist mainly) but the size 10s are great on the waist and too hippy (I'm an apple). Gawd it's hard to find things that fit!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

sara1981 has a spectacular aura aboutsara1981 has a spectacular aura aboutsara1981 has a spectacular aura about

There seems to be differing views on this, if you search for clothing conversion charts on the net there are many conflicting answers!!

Eg found some that say sizes between UK and Oz are equivalent, some say like you Oz sizes are down a size and I even found one site that said Oz is up a size!! I was just recalling personal experience also from many years visiting Oz and shopping in both countries.

I think like others have said the main problem is that clothing sizes both in the UK and Oz are not standardised. I find in the UK I am a 12 on top and 14 on bottom but in my wardrobe I have tops ranging from sizes 8 to 14 and jeans/skirts/trousers ranging from sizes 12 to 16!! Can be difficult when you go into changing rooms where you can only take max 4 or 5 items to try!!

Whatever the answer, I always feel better the smaller size I can get into so looking forward to getting to Oz!!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:48 am
Marvin for PM

Whitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really nice

I miss the uk clothes.
Nothing in oz is quite the same. The shops i tend to use are
Witchery and Just Jeans and i look around the other shops and have found some ok clothes.
There seems to be clothes for senior citizens and twelve year olds and not much choice inbetween except for Billabong ...and i do like their range..even if i am not far off 50! :-(
The plus side is that i spend much less on clothes here!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

sara1981 has a spectacular aura aboutsara1981 has a spectacular aura aboutsara1981 has a spectacular aura about

Not sure if they still do it, but Jeans West and maybe Just Jeans (not sure on this one) do in between sizes in at least some of their jeans range. Haven't been to Oz for 2 years so may have changed but I used to buy size 13 jeans in Jeans West as couldn't quite get into the 12 but 14 was too big!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:47 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rabsody
Tis funny as i'm more of a size 10 in Aus and a size 8 in UK. *Sigh* the problem is sizes are not standardised anymore ... even within one country. Boys, think yourself lucky you don't have to wear bras ... it's impossible!!!
Riddle me this though - in Next one day I bought 2 pairs of jeans - a size 14 and a size 18. WTF!! And I am normally a 16... nI guess it depends on what small Asian child labour factory is making them (oops not sure if that was PC?!)