Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ladies of Aus... some really handy tips

Wikiposts

Ladies of Aus... some really handy tips

Old Aug 26th 2003, 4:50 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by dracupg
My better half has the same problem with finding vegetarian options and ingredients. Luckily, she eats fish and the fresh salmon, tuna and swordfish is excellent here. She used to live on Marks & Spencer ready made vegetarian meals, so I suppose it is good that she has been forced to cook more fresh meals.

You can get Tofu, as she made a curry with it one evening. Fetch me a sick bag. Presumably the Quorn thing is something to do with is being made from mushroom like fungus, which could conceivable contain bacteria etc. Strange though.

Don’t forget the gelatine which is in all the gummy sweets, and a lot of thickeners.

Reminds me of a holiday we had to Turkey when the waiter turned up with an omelette that had kebab meat through it when she asked for a vegetarian omelette. Like Turkey, they seem to have a hard time accepting vegetarianism here.
I eat fish too.. hang over from Asia where again I found it hard to get nice tasting veggie stuff. I actually don't like the taste of fish much... but eat it purely for health reasons.

The only thing I don't eat is "mammal" meat. I gave it up about 15 or 16 years ago. Fish and prawns I do eat.

Cheers

P.S can I also add... I'm not having a go at you.. honestly (smiley thing here) - About the swordfish... please don't buy this. It's Marlin etc... all this goes under the marketing name of Swordfish... There's dwindling stocks here, over fishing - it usually is sold to the Asian market. A lot of Supermarkets and fish stalls have stopped selling it (I think Woolworths was one. which bowed to public pressure....Coles I think still sells it) due to pressures from the conservation and fishing groups. ... Hot topic among most rec fishing groups and conservation groups
Old Aug 26th 2003, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
P.S can I also add... I'm not having a go at you.. honestly (smiley thing here) - About the swordfish... please don't buy this. It's Marlin etc... all this goes under the marketing name of Swordfish... There's dwindling stocks here, over fishing - it usually is sold to the Asian market. A lot of Supermarkets and fish stalls have stopped selling it (I think Woolworths was one. which bowed to public pressure....Coles I think still sells it) due to pressures from the conservation and fishing groups. ... Hot topic among most rec fishing groups and conservation groups
Oh dear. There goes one more thing I can't throw on the barbie for her.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 5:21 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by dracupg
Oh dear. There goes one more thing I can't throw on the barbie for her.
And don't touch the flake ... shark - could be anything from the harmless shovelnose ray (they call them shovelnose sharks... but it's a ray) to a whaler.

She's going to run out of fish to cook in a minute.. lol.

Ahh just starve ... you hardly see a fat veggie do you in Aus? You know why because there's no food here for us to eat.

Cheers
Old Aug 26th 2003, 7:11 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't get the ready meals here like you do in the UK. Those that are available are pretty grim.

On the plus side in Sydney there are so many decent takeaways including vegetarian cafes that are cheap. A large vege burger up at Lauries on Bondi Road is about 7AUD or the same as an M&S ready meal. Gives you chronic wind though.

Meat is king though.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that - very enlightening! I eat fish too, so I'll manage to survive somehow! Are fruit and veg as cheap and plentiful as I expect them to be? It does get on my nerves that I can spend a bomb on them over here and they go off in a few days!! Shame about the quorn though...

Anyway, I thought this thread was about annoying the in-laws... I nearly replied in the same vein to the post about getting a PC for the mother-in-law but didn't (I thought sending her a zx spectrum might be a good idea, with some loose wires!!!). :scared:
Larissa
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:32 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

In certain areas of Sydney and Melbourne all the vege food in the world is available.

Fruit and veg here is good and when something is in season the prices are ourageously cheap. Fruit juice is also cheap. Out of season prices and quality vary. Great thing is cabbage, cauliflower and the evil brussel sprouts are scarce. I do like the roast pumpkin here.

Long and short is I don't miss English food.