Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can I just go to NZ from Oz?

Can I just go to NZ from Oz?

Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Can I just go to NZ from Oz?

Hi,

We are applying for Oz PR - skilled sponsored designated area at the moment.

I've been led to believe that if we wanted to, we could get off the plane to Oz, then leave the next day for NZ and live and work there for good.

Is this true?
How would this affect the Assurance of Support bond (placed by my cousin in Oz but paid for by me)?
Presumably it will be returned as normal as we won't have claimed against it during the first 2 years?

We wanted to go to NZ years ago but didn't have the points, assumed we didn't have the points this time and also presumed there wouldn't be enough work there anyway.
Now, seeing pics of the place, reading stuff about the way of life etc. etc. etc. I'm thinking maybe we might go there instead.

The plan at present is to go to OZ, see if we like it then only go to NZ if we don't like OZ. Kids will be settled by then though so maybe it would be best to go straight to NZ?

Ideally I suppose a lengthy holiday in both Oz and NZ would be the perfect solution but hey, how much is a 6 month hol for 5 going to cost?!?!?!?:scared:

Any advice welcomed!
Old Aug 26th 2003, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

the general concensus is yes, you can get your visa stamped in au and fly onto nz on your au visa..

my agent told me a au visa was a 'buy one get one free' visa

but don't quote us on that..

cheers

richard
Old Aug 26th 2003, 11:46 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

I always thought that only Australian *CITIZENS* got the right to live and work in NZ, not Australian *Permanent Residents*.

Originally posted by r.bartlett
the general concensus is yes, you can get your visa stamped in au and fly onto nz on your au visa..

my agent told me a au visa was a 'buy one get one free' visa

but don't quote us on that..

cheers

richard
Old Aug 27th 2003, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by brisnick
I always thought that only Australian *CITIZENS* got the right to live and work in NZ, not Australian *Permanent Residents*.
It's an anomoly it only works with Australian PR, NZ PR won't get you into Australia at all.

So you could move to NZ on an Australian PR, but if they change the rules whilst you were their to close this loophole you would have to find another way to stay in NZ pretty quick.

Also to be safe you need either NZ PR or Citizenship and I'm not sure how you'd get these with Australin PR.
Old Aug 27th 2003, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
It's an anomoly it only works with Australian PR, NZ PR won't get you into Australia at all.

So you could move to NZ on an Australian PR, but if they change the rules whilst you were their to close this loophole you would have to find another way to stay in NZ pretty quick.

Also to be safe you need either NZ PR or Citizenship and I'm not sure how you'd get these with Australin PR.
Internal Affairs treat an Auss PR/RRV the same as a NR PR/RRV visa for the purposes of NZ Citizenship (I have this from Internal Affairs themselves). If you move to NZ on an Auss PR/RRV visa, you'll be granted a residence permit on arrival, which entitles you to remain in NZ indefinitely.

Problems can arise if you ever need to leave NZ - for a holiday or business trip for example. If your auss PR/RRV is still valid and hasn't expired, you won't have any problem at all and will simply be given another residence permit when you return to NZ.

However, if your auss PR/RRV visa has expired (and you haven't obtained NZ Citizenship) and you left NZ - you would not be allowed back into NZ as a resident on your return. This means that if your auss PR/RRV visa has a limited amount of time left before it expires (lets say a year) you will be 'stuck' in NZ for 2 years until you have been there long enough to meet the criteria for NZ Citizenship (3yrs from date of arrival). Another possible cause of premature grey hairs would be if the NZ Govt changed the criteria/requirements for NZ Citizenship.

all the best,

Russ