Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

lack of sydney posts

lack of sydney posts

Old Aug 22nd 2004, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough
Default lack of sydney posts

I notice that there aren't that many posts from people praising sydney on here. Is that because its too expensive and no one goes there, or because everyone who goes there is really happy and stops posting??

Feel free to slate Sydney if necessary

Igs
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 1:08 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: lack of sydney posts

Originally Posted by igual
I notice that there aren't that many posts from people praising sydney on here. Is that because its too expensive and no one goes there, or because everyone who goes there is really happy and stops posting??

Igs
What do you want to hear?
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough

you bondi may not be able to help, being a central living surfbum and all that!

We are torn between perth which seems very quiet at the moment and sydney which we have lived in for 6 months 5 years ago and we know reasnobally well.

The main problem with sydney is I guess the expense. To get somewhere nice to live is expensive. We half want to be in the mountains (Katoomba looks good) and half by the sea, but we have not won the lottery yet. Without a doubt our money goes a lot further in Perth, but will we be happy here in 6 months or 5 years?

It seems as most poms come to perth or brissy but is that just down to expense?

Time will tell

Ig
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 1:59 am

you bondi may not be able to help, being a central living surfbum and all that!

We are torn between perth which seems very quiet at the moment and sydney which we have lived in for 6 months 5 years ago and we know reasnobally well.

The main problem with sydney is I guess the expense. To get somewhere nice to live is expensive. We half want to be in the mountains (Katoomba looks good) and half by the sea, but we have not won the lottery yet. Without a doubt our money goes a lot further in Perth, but will we be happy here in 6 months or 5 years?

It seems as most poms come to perth or brissy but is that just down to expense?

Time will tell

Ig
A lot of poms are coming here want the big house near the sea. As you say you need lottery money for that in Sydney.

Better move my bum to the surf as the rains ended a few days ago and it is beautiful and sunny again.

Last edited by bondipom; Aug 22nd 2004 at 2:07 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 1:40 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
A lot of poms are coming here want the big house near the sea. As you say you need lottery money for that in Sydney.

Better move my bum to the surf as the rains ended a few days ago and it is beautiful and sunny again.
Sydney is expensive but there is hope there are some super areas to live - Hills District North West? direction and on further up the coast, Gosford, Woy Woy if you don't mind a commute. I do not know down south that well. Sure someone on here can tell you about how good they are. Sunday Papers this week advocating you do not buy yet in the Sydney area rent for a while and it will work out the same??? not sure on that one. But if you do not need a house for family what about enjoying living centrally and renting. Buy a house in one of the other cities and rent it out?

I did not compromise on distance to the beach and commute for me so I am living in St Ives and working in Chatswood, Husband now travelling to Lidcomb. Yes I have a bigger mortgage than I did in the UK % of income wise - I also have a substantially bigger house and a pool. The salaries are higher here in our professions than I could get elsewhere and I feel it is right for us as a family as we are 25 mins to a decent beach, 25 mins to Sydney CBD and enough locally to entertain growing kids. I do not think the kids will run off to the big smoke when older as they already live in it! Actually that might be a bad idea cause if they go to Uni I might have them for a hell of lot longer than planned - UK family can have them for a few years then? By living in Sydney we are possibly not having so many holidays travelling as we once did due to the lower disposable income for us, but we are getting organised now and the tents will be back out and we will start making sure we see a bit more than the local beach and pool this summer.

Life in Sydney is possible if you have the employment, it is not all doom and gloom. But you need to look at what would suit you best for now and the future.

Cheers
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Igs
Property prices would be the only possible reason to slate Sydney. It's got everything I want and I've always been really happy here.

Climate's not too extreme, plenty of work, heaps to do and see, very close surf (and non-surf) beaches, no feeling of being isolated and Queensland just a day's drive away. What more could you need? It's certainly the perfect city for us.

As BP says, most migrants seem to want the big house near the beach straight away. Not prepared to compromise on that so they avoid Sydney as it costs too much.

We have a biggish house near the beach (no mortgage) but it took over 10 years to get it. We did what many locals do in this area - bought an apartment first, then a small semi and finally the bigger house whilst renovating all the way. It's not an impossible achievement to live in coastal Sydney - as long as you realise you're unlikely to get the big house immediately.

Thousands of Australians on ordinary incomes manage to buy and live in this area; they just started small, have a few years headstart and weren't tempted by the cheap mansions out west .
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

We chose Sydney because we thought it was the best city for us in terms of lifestyle, climate & types of jobs available.

It's expensive but you just need to make a choice between living further away from Sydney CBD and away from the coast (oh yes, and away from the train stations) OR buy something smaller.

I would suggest renting for a while until you can get a feel for the different suburbs and then buy something where you feel at home. We rented for a year before we bought something. You also have a better idea about whether you're happy at your workplace. If you don't have to work in the CBD you can live away from train stations, saving you extra $$$

The real growth area is out in the Hills and Norwest Business park - the housing prices are bound to go up and up there, despite being far from the beach.

Anyway, good luck to all those choosing. We are still very happy with our choice of a smaller place not too far from the beach and not too far from the city.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by nickyc
Property prices would be the only possible reason to slate Sydney. It's got everything I want and I've always been really happy here.

Climate's not too extreme, plenty of work, heaps to do and see, very close surf (and non-surf) beaches, no feeling of being isolated and Queensland just a day's drive away. What more could you need? It's certainly the perfect city for us.

As BP says, most migrants seem to want the big house near the beach straight away. Not prepared to compromise on that so they avoid Sydney as it costs too much.

We have a biggish house near the beach (no mortgage) but it took over 10 years to get it. We did what many locals do in this area - bought an apartment first, then a small semi and finally the bigger house whilst renovating all the way. It's not an impossible achievement to live in coastal Sydney - as long as you realise you're unlikely to get the big house immediately.

Thousands of Australians on ordinary incomes manage to buy and live in this area; they just started small, have a few years headstart and weren't tempted by the cheap mansions out west .
When I came here in 97 on a working holiday I could see Bargain property everywhere. Shame I was not PR earning enough to get a mortgage. Now prices have gone pyscho. Post election will be interesting as the central bank will feel free to raise interest rates and the costs of Howards pre election splurges will have to be taxed.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 9:03 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

and now try selling in Sydney and areas.....Do any of you guys in central Sydney know if the housing market has picked up yet???Be good to hear a yes as us "Westies" normally follow suit and boy do hubby and I need some luck.....
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Pants
and now try selling in Sydney and areas.....Do any of you guys in central Sydney know if the housing market has picked up yet???Be good to hear a yes as us "Westies" normally follow suit and boy do hubby and I need some luck.....
Not been looking recently but spring will soon be here. That brings out more buyers are sellers which makes the market more liquid.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 9:11 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Not been looking recently but spring will soon be here. That brings out more buyers are sellers which makes the market more liquid.
Yes Bondi that's what our agent told us.....mind you feels like spring now with this sunshine.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Hi sandra and Bondipom re: Sydney House Prices

Thanks for your information. We are looking to move to Sydney early next year. I have been looking on variuos real estate web sites for prices etc. Judging by your comments you have the kind of house and location we would be looking for, without being presumptuous, we half a budget of approx $900,000 AUD ( that includes a $250,00 mortgage) am I being realistic to think that we would be able to afford a 3-4 bed house in a 'good' area within commuting distance of CBD. Would love a pool but that may have to wait for a few years. Your comments would be most appreciated as so many houses on the real estate wbsites are auctions and I have no idea what they would sell for.

Thanks
Old Aug 24th 2004, 12:16 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hubbard
Hi sandra and Bondipom re: Sydney House Prices

Thanks for your information. We are looking to move to Sydney early next year. I have been looking on variuos real estate web sites for prices etc. Judging by your comments you have the kind of house and location we would be looking for, without being presumptuous, we half a budget of approx $900,000 AUD ( that includes a $250,00 mortgage) am I being realistic to think that we would be able to afford a 3-4 bed house in a 'good' area within commuting distance of CBD. Would love a pool but that may have to wait for a few years. Your comments would be most appreciated as so many houses on the real estate wbsites are auctions and I have no idea what they would sell for.

Thanks
Hi There for 900K you would be looking at a decent house Upper North Shore. Lower North Shore you are getting smaller land size and smaller house for your money. I do not think you should have too much problem - what you need to do is pick on a specific area that you like cause of schools/commute/family preference and check out the houses in that area get a feel of what is moving etc from the websites Domain and estate agents ones. I also would not be in too much of a hurry to buy - if not sure, rent in the area you like first, 6/12 months as suits and you can be really sure before you lay out major capitol and on costs. We rented for a year in the area we went on to buy in, before that stayed six weeks in an area we knew after a few days we would not like to buy in.

I am an Upper North Shore Advocate all the way But I know there are many areas of Sydney that have their good points too. If I had the last two years over I would not change where we chose to live given the money we had. Give me 5-6 Million and I might have a look at somewhere overrlooking Sydney Harbour top end, but then 5/6 is probably not enough.

If you see a specific area ask the questions again cause there is bound to be someone who can give you details. Cheers
Old Aug 24th 2004, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I'm hot from a weekend of fact finding in Sutherland on the housing front.

point 1 - for 900k you could get everything you wanted there, and close access to Cronulla beach, but thats if you don't mind a commute to town.

Anyway on the state of the market.

I looked at one place advertised at 739 - the moment I walked in the door I was bounced by the Real Estate agent who said "anything under 700 considered". So a 40k knock down before we've even started.

another place at 660 - been on for 8 weeks. Will now sell for 600

another at 630 - will go for 600.

2 more nice places in need of cosmetic upgrade (paint/carpet/tiles) 575, but will bargain.

In summary, knock around 10% of the aking price straight away and take it from there. (all the above btw were 3-4 bed houses. None of them with pool)

I came away happy in the knowledge (flawed or otherwise), that with rate rises in the next 6 months inevitable, it's probably best to play a waiting game.

In mitigation I'd say that it's supply and demand led market. The likes of Coogee,Bondi,Maroubra,Bronte,Clovelly, Lower North Shore always have a stack of people looking to move in, so don't expect a drop off in those areas of any great magnitude. Perhaps just less rises.