Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lack of pavements

Wikiposts

Lack of pavements

Old Mar 24th 2004, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

My theory about the lack of pavements in Oz is no one walks to the pub here, mainly because there isnt that many pubs!

Slap a good old boozer on every street corner, get them selling pork scratchings and jars of cockles, attract those finely toned 25 stone atheletes (darts players), make sure the pub closes at 11:00pm, (all the yobbos will be optimally tanked up and looking for a fight in the car park), put a curry house next door, and before you know it we will have pavements!
Old Mar 24th 2004, 8:43 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by hevs
LOL at megs. Are you actually a robot type machine??
"Pavement! Don't talk to me about pavement!"

Look, after parking cars at Milliways since before you were a species, here I am, brain the size of a planet and you want to discuss pavement?.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 8:47 am
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Same as in the US by the sounds of it.

The pavements (sidewalks) where I lived were essentially 12inches of the actual road that had been seperated from the main road only by a thin painted white line. Kinda scary when you're pushing a pram down the pavement and the great big yank trucks roar by only inches way from you :scared:

What with this and the soaring price of lettuce, sometime makes me rethink the whole move to Aus !

Old Mar 24th 2004, 9:06 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

product of a lower density population & drive everywhere society. same with the streetlights.

similar in NZ, but only really in newer less established subdivisions. older areas have footpaths on both sides.

I'm guessing that maybe it's the developers who are skimping...? Maybe it's only required by law to have it on one side and the council don't bother with another until the density of housing demands it. I could be wrong - just a thought.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 9:12 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
"Pavement! Don't talk to me about pavement!"

Look, after parking cars at Milliways since before you were a species, here I am, brain the size of a planet and you want to discuss pavement?.
still making me LOL!!