Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all Expats (UK)

Calling all Expats (UK)

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Rosalind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calling all Expats (UK)

My husband and I are hopefully moving to Melbourne later this year and we would LOVE to hear from any expats with advice, stories, chat etc!
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Read evrything written by Badgersmount... you'll love it!!
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Calling all Expats (UK)

Thanks for the reply! I have read all the postings from Badgersmount and loved them! Interested to see that he lives in E Melbourne (our intended area). Is anyone else familiar with this area? (Or Melbourne in general?)
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 2:55 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I live in South Eastern Suburbs Rosalind, 20 mins from city by car out 1hr by train. Lots of good suburbs around the South & East & one or two not so good to. Some great Shopping Malls for you in Knox City & Chadstone.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply! It is great to speak to someone who is actually living in our intended area! We do not know where we will move to exactly and I assume we will rent first. I have been looking through estate agent's lists, but I need information on the different suburbs for it to be meaningful. I think the East side is supposed to be very nice. We would like to live in a suburb (as opposed to city centre), my daughter (17) wants easy access by public transport to shops, beach etc. My son (8) wants to be relatively near school. Can you recomend any particular areas? We would be really grateful for any information on schools - both independent and state. Also, one of the main motivating factors for us is the lifestyle - we dream of frequenting the many restaurants - can you recommend any in particular, together with any "must sees"?
Thank you!
Old Mar 24th 2004, 1:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at some of the posts by Hevs and HUP as well, they are in outer Melbourne (similar to Badge) - or drop Hevs (chainsaw girl) a pm
I'm sure she'll help, as a break from dealing with her woodpile
Old Mar 24th 2004, 1:48 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Pollyana
Have a look at some of the posts by Hevs and HUP as well, they are in outer Melbourne (similar to Badge) - or drop Hevs (chainsaw girl) a pm
I'm sure she'll help, as a break from dealing with her woodpile
Oh! WOOD-piles!!!! Silly me! I thought....
Old Mar 24th 2004, 5:37 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
Oh! WOOD-piles!!!! Silly me! I thought....
YUK

We live in the S/e suburbs, just a jog away from Badge. It really beautiful, though rather yellow at the moment. Melb gets a real slating for its weather but i think thats the vic people trying to put loads of people off, cos its been really georgeous. 27 degs today, sunny blue skys etc.
Theres loads to do and see and everywheres really accessable. The only thing i really dislike is the new estates full of Mc mansions, but they are all over Oz suburbs so you kind of get used to them. Oh and the spiders, but don't go there
Try
www.thatsmelbourne.com.au
Old Mar 24th 2004, 7:50 am
Just Joined

OK - now you mentioned it - spiders. As someone who verges on phobic where these monsters are concerned...please let me know what to expect....Can you have your house fumigated as in USA to prevent all bugs? If so, how safe is this treatment (carcinogenic???)
Old Mar 24th 2004, 8:10 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Its not very safe for the spiders
Old Mar 24th 2004, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Hevs,

The spiders wouldn't be safe from you now you have a chainsaw
Old Mar 24th 2004, 11:49 am
Just Joined

I tried chasing the spiders with a chainsaw - it really bought the house down.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 9:17 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally posted by Rosalind
I tried chasing the spiders with a chainsaw - it really bought the house down.